Power Outage! CPF Dream! Some thoughts....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A noisy nasty storm put the power out about 2:30AM CST here in my part of Houston.

I awakened to me UPS beeping at me telling me to kill my 'puter. A 3AAA 3LED light was PLENTY to see what I was doing.

In my bathroom, I stood a Garrity 3AAA 1LED 5 mode light at about 45 degrees, pointed at a white wall. It was on the dimest constant on mode. It was PLENTY!

In the other bathroom I used 1LED of a 4AA 2LED folding lantern. It was enough light that she noticed it later, seeing the glow from two turns and about 8 feet door to door away! She thought it was an automatic light - LOL.

Last thing I did before power came back about 10:30 this morning was to TRY and use my 4D Folding Lantern to shave by. There is a window just to the right of my sink, and the two FL tubes could not compete with the ambient light. It just didn't look very bright. Further testing is in order on that light!

The real bummer is, while our water heater uses gas, the main burners are electric. I couldn't have hot coffee this morning! Perhaps a little propane burner is in order?

All in all, it was a non event. But it shows how little light is required in total darkness! And how ambient light can be a problem.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting observations. It proves that we can noodle all we want but experience is the best teacher...and the most revealing.

Wilkey

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little something to heat water for coffee or warm canned food is okay for short usage indoors. For longer usage, ventilation is definitely needed.

Down there in Houston (new yorkers pronounce that Howston), opening a window at this time of year should present that much of a problem. Up here in Ohio it means instant deep freeze. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I hear you Charles. It MIGHT get below 40 here two or three times a year on average.

We say Yewston.

We haven't even had pipe busting cold in years.

I tried my 4D 2Tube folding lantern again last night after dark. It just hasn't got what it takes to shave. It is an area light only! The CCFL in a Trailfinder is brighter!

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
Down there in Houston (new yorkers pronounce that Howston), opening a window at this time of year should present that much of a problem. Up here in Ohio it means instant deep freeze. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had to clarify that statement for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We pronounce Houston Street, 'How-ston'. We pronounce Houston, Texas, 'Hew-ston'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, I noticed a lot of single LED's were used. Would you think something like an original PT Impact would be good for such a situation? I have one, but was thinking about selling it. The runtime is listed as 150 on 4 AA's, that might not be too bad for an emergency situation.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I severly disliked the beam my Impact made. It rides around in my Fathers truck these days. I had even tried the lense from my TEC 40 on it but just couldn't stomach it! The reflector was wrong.

I have found that Garrity 3AAA 1LED light to be very useful. Of course I had to put a spot of writeright over the bump in the lense to clean the beam. The 3 different light levels + two blinking modes is nice!

Only problem it has, is a pointy tail. It absolutely wasn't designed to stand up!

Had my Arc AAA been close to hand it could and would have done everything those other lights did. But the 4AA 2LED folding lantern is cool because it can shine several different ways based on how it is folded!

Geez! I just thought of my Attitude! I seem to have more than a few LED lights!