Fenix E05 vs Inova XS

bryan123

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm a newbie and this is my first question. I'm purchasing some flashlights because we had a power failure a week ago and I relied on the flashlight mode on my Droid Maxx to help me locate and light my candles.

I visited my local REI in Reading MA and saw the two "mini" AAA keychain flashlights, The Fenix E05 and the Inova XS. I want to buy one of these to carry on my keychain with my Leatherman Micra or SAK Cadet. At max brightness they are similar at 85 vs 80 Lumens. So far I'm partial to the Fenix because it can stand on a flat surface like a candle. I also like the way that it cycles from low to medium to high as opposed to the Inova's high to low. The Inova claims significantly longer battery life, longer distance, and could be made to stand like a candle by standing it on a 5/8" split ring.

I watched a video on YouTube comparing both of them and the author used terms like hot spots, throw and spillage that I haven't learned yet.

Those of you who have used both, which would you prefer?

Thanks,

Bryan

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E05 is regulated - which means it will put out a consistent rate of light over a given period. The Inova XS is unregulated, which means it puts out a diminishing return.

The Inova does have more throw (the light uses a tighter beam and seems to project further) than the E05, but that doesn't mean all that much for me - a keychain light is meant for close quarters work.

To be perfectly candid, I'd go with a Fenix E01 for keychain duty. It's only rated to 13 lumens, but in a blackout, that's more than enough. It's also virtually indestructible.

But between the E05 and the Inova, I'd take the E05. I prefer regulation in my lights, and the low mode will be a lot more useful than you might think.

Illum

Flashaholic
E05 is not potted, its Achilles heel is its inductor which is a ferrite core. There has been at least two reports of the E05 failing after a hard fall. I can toss the E01 around all day and not suffer much beyond finishing dings. In a true blackout situation, E01 is my go-to light. Its easy to carry, easy to use, runs forever, and waterproof.

Inova XS is a tad bulky, and given my impression of it, the tailcap is tighter than comfort. If the knurling is rougher it would be a non-issue.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I am a fan of the Inova XS and X1, I would not use the XS on my keychain.

The Fenix (IMHO) is much better as a keychain light.

I have been carrying an original, single level E05, since they came out, and have had no problems with it.

But, having said that, I will agree with what the others have said, and if it was the only light I was to have available, I would carry a Fenix E01.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E05 is regulated - which means it will put out a consistent rate of light over a given period. The Inova XS is unregulated, which means it puts out a diminishing return.

The Inova does have more throw (the light uses a tighter beam and seems to project further) than the E05, but that doesn't mean all that much for me - a keychain light is meant for close quarters work.

To be perfectly candid, I'd go with a Fenix E01 for keychain duty. It's only rated to 13 lumens, but in a blackout, that's more than enough. It's also virtually indestructible.

But between the E05 and the Inova, I'd take the E05. I prefer regulation in my lights, and the low mode will be a lot more useful than you might think.

This is incorrect. The XS is regulated as well.

I would also like to add that while older and not as popular, the Inova lights are great quality with an excellent fit and finish. The XS is definitely built tougher then the E05.

I would look at the Thrunite Ti as well. It can be found on Amazon with free shipping.

Last edited:

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Of those two, I'd go with the Fenix E05. The E01 is also a great choice. Inova's are nicely made, I've owned a couple, but tailstanding is important to me, and it sounds like it would be important to the OP's usage.

The Thrunite Ti may be my least favorite light in my entire collection. The threading in the titanium is still horrible after numerous cleanings and re-lubrications. It's so bad I never use it.

The Thrunite Ti3 (the aluminum version) in neutral white, however, is an excellent choice, and I use mine all the time.

Of the keychain lights available at most REI's, I'd go with the Fenix E05. I think some stores used to have the E01, I don't know if they do still.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of those two, I'd go with the Fenix E05. The E01 is also a great choice. Inova's are nicely made, I've owned a couple, but tailstanding is important to me, and it sounds like it would be important to the OP's usage.

The Thrunite Ti may be my least favorite light in my entire collection. The threading in the titanium is still horrible after numerous cleanings and re-lubrications. It's so bad I never use it.

The Thrunite Ti3 (the aluminum version) in neutral white, however, is an excellent choice, and I use mine all the time.

Of the keychain lights available at most REI's, I'd go with the Fenix E05. I think some stores used to have the E01, I don't know if they do still.

You got a bad one then and should have exchanged it. Mine is smooth as can be. It was pretty smooth from the get go(for a Ti light)but, has got even more smooth with use. It is now as good if not better then some aluminum lights I have. It is available in cool or neutral white now as well. I gave mine to my spouse now though as I prefer neutral white hi CRI lights and mine was the CW version.

The Astrolux A01 is a great and very good value light($10)with its 4000K 90+ CRI Nichia 219B emitter as well if anyone is interested in a NW HI CRI option.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a bunch of the Xs and every single one has just crapped out in pretty short order?
I like the light a lot until then and rarely was hard use any part of the deal at all,they just die.

The E95 have been steady as they go,no issues at all.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a bunch of the Xs and every single one has just crapped out in pretty short order?
I like the light a lot until then and rarely was hard use any part of the deal at all,they just die.

The E95 have been steady as they go,no issues at all.

Weird, maybe you have bad luck or there was a bad batch? I have been using mine at work for almost a year and a half. It has been dropped, kicked around, and even went through the washer and dryer once(oops lol) and still works perfectly. I cant say I like the tint though(it was a gift) but, its my beater.

cadic

Newly Enlightened
Buy Fenix E05. I've been using it for over a year. And it's never let me down.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weird, maybe you have bad luck or there was a bad batch? I have been using mine at work for almost a year and a half. It has been dropped, kicked around, and even went through the washer and dryer once(oops lol) and still works perfectly. I cant say I like the tint though(it was a gift) but, its my beater.
Nope I have had many from many places and was giving them to people for a short while but then they all started just dying so I had to replace them all.
I really liked the form and the switch a lot too.

I now give the E05 and have not had any go bad at all.

bryan123

Newly Enlightened
Buy Fenix E05. I've been using it for over a year. And it's never let me down.

I purchased the E05. Here's a follow-up question: for keychain use would I be better off with the stainless steel version of the E05? I think the SS version might hold up better over time in terms of resistance to impacts with keys and my Leatherman Micra. Thanks

Bryan

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never had a report of an E05 failing due to key chain abuse. That said, the SS will probably *look* better because it doesn't have any paint or finish to wear off, unlike the aluminum.

Unless you happen to appreciate the wear on a flashlight finish over time. :D

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like fenix and inova, but for size and weight and modes I prefer the olight i3s keychain light.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
The E05 will leave you in the dark when the battery is depleted also something to consider. I used to carry an Eo5 . after it went out while using it in two situations I had enough and went with an E01 . No sudden lights out. plenty of notice that a new cell is needed. I know the beam sucks and its only 13lumens but I will take the compromise

Pointoflight

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the E05. Here's a follow-up question: for keychain use would I be better off with the stainless steel version of the E05? I think the SS version might hold up better over time in terms of resistance to impacts with keys and my Leatherman Micra. Thanks

Bryan
Highly unlikely an aluminum fenix e05 will fail from banging around on your keychain. Only gets better looking as the color fades. Like an old pair of jeans.

laxtond

Newly Enlightened
I've only got the Fenix E05, an older one that only has one mode about 27 lumens. I love it. I use it delivers enough light for 90% of what I need a flashlight for.

I've seen a couple posts regarding the reliability or durablity of this light. Here's a small anecdote of why I think its very rugged.

I recently purchased a baitcaster fishing reel. If you know anything about baitcasters you know that they can take a while to get the hang of and some practice is a good idea. I wanted to practice in my back yard after dark which also complicates matters as you need to see your lure (at least as a beginner) to know when to thumb the spool. So I tied my trusty EO5 with a diffuser made from a grocery bag to the light. I then proceeded to cast the E05 through my yard 20-30 yards, often times landing on my concrete driveway. I probably cast it 50 times and although some of the anodizing was banged it up it still worked just as well as it did when new after getting done.

It's a light I wouldn't do without. I have thought about purchasing a newer 3 mode version for the added bonus of having higher output if it were needed.

In short- no experience with any other AAA keychain lights but the E05 but it is a winner.

Last edited:

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
Ive used an inova xs for a year or so now. I has a permanent residency on the strap of my hiking bag. Have had zero issues with it.

That being said, not a favored edc light. Brightness and beam pattern is acceptable, it is a tad bulky for keychain use. Thrunite Ti3 has taken that spot and is preferred for the set of keys.