Nitecore MH20 vs P12 - CREE XM-L2 U2 - 1×18650 - 1 Lumen Mode: 235 vs 520 hrs?!

Quickstrike

Newly Enlightened
Both of these lights use a CREE XM-L2 U2 LED & a Single 18650 battery.

Why does the P12 get more than double the battery life in 1 Lumen Mode [Moonlight]?

P12
QOLJ9VP.jpg

MH20
W1uq04O.jpg

It just comes down to the P12 having a higher efficiency circuit board?
Kind of crazy coming from the same company.

Quickstrike

Newly Enlightened
Well, looking at the numbers now -- MH20 lasting 45 minutes longer in Turbo mode - 2h vs 1h15min.. it seems that the MH20 was optimized for high-output and and P12 for longer run-times.

I guess that brings up another question. Are there any Single 18650 LED lights that push out ~1000 lumens for ~2 hours, but still get ~500+ hour runtime in moonlight mode? Best of both worlds.

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
I have both lights, well the p12gt, and while I don't use the moonlight mode, I much prefer the MH20. Better beam, nice neutral white, smaller, and USB rechargeable. I guess I was expecting too much from the p12gt or that type of light is not my style, not sure. Maybe I'm a side switch guy.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, looking at the numbers now -- MH20 lasting 45 minutes longer in Turbo mode - 2h vs 1h15min.. it seems that the MH20 was optimized for high-output and and P12 for longer run-times.

I guess that brings up another question. Are there any Single 18650 LED lights that push out ~1000 lumens for ~2 hours, but still get ~500+ hour runtime in moonlight mode? Best of both worlds.

[Emphasis added]

I am not even sure this one can do it.

The 2-hour runtime seemed too good to be true, so I checked the review by selfbuilt. He used a 3100mAh battery, so his runtimes will be a little shorter than what you get with a higher capacity battery. Nevertheless, the direct-drive-like pattern will probably be similar.

Output/Runtime Graphs:

The MH20 is completely different, with no timed step-down. Instead, you see a direct-drive like pattern on Turbo, gradually dropping in output. On Hi, you have flat-stabilized regulation for an extended period, until the battery starts to run out of power (and the lights switches to direct drive).

What about the thermal regulation on the MH20? To see how it handles heat, I have repeated the Turbo mode runtime with no cooling. Note that all my usual runtimes are done under fan cooling.

MH20-Cooling.gif

As you can see, without cooling the MH20 ran for ~6 minutes at Turbo output, before dropping down to a reduced output level that was just below the defined Hi mode level. With some minor fluctuations it stayed at this level for the rest of the run. These results indicate the thermal sensor-mediated drop in output works as expected. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not even sure this one can do it.

The 2-hour runtime seemed to good to be true, so I checked the review by selfbuilt. He used a 3100mAh battery, so his runtimes will be a little shorter than what you get with a higher capacity battery. Nevertheless, the direct-drive-like pattern will probably be similar.

The thermal regulation is probably still slowly lowering the output in that chart. He is only using a fan to cool it which isnt enough to stop it from kicking in(especially at room temperature). So, it might be a bit better then what that shows.

A slowly declining output on turbo is common to most boost drivers. Even the best drivers in the industry cant keep a flat regulated output at max output levels. Also, a single 18650 just isnt enough to run lights at these high output levels for sustained periods of time without some decline in output. I suggest a 2+ 18650 light if you want a consistent 1000 lumen output.

Also, dont trust manufactures specs too much. they are often far from correct.

Last edited: