Nitecore MH20 vs. Zebralight SC600 MKIII

chillylight

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a Nitecore MH20 CW, and now I'm thinking about getting an SC600 MKIII CW. Would they be pretty much the same as far as performance, or would the SC600 be a significant improvement? Anybody out there have both lights to compare? Thanks.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a Nitecore MH20 CW, and now I'm thinking about getting an SC600 MKIII CW. Would they be pretty much the same as far as performance, or would the SC600 be a significant improvement? Anybody out there have both lights to compare? Thanks.

The SC600 MKIII is not a significant improvement imo but, is still an improvement in some areas. The MH20 will have more throw and a tighter hotspot(because of the larger head and deeper smooth reflector). It also gives you built in charging. Where as the ZL gives you slightly higher output, a brighter spill and larger hot spot(due to it being more floody). It also has a programmable UI and is slightly smaller..

Here is a beam shot comparison

MH20
2n87jo7.jpg

SC600 MKIII
2myb7z5.jpg

Keep in mind that the SC600 MKIII can only use bare(non-protected) cells that are exactly 65mm.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're looking at the two and don't mind NW tint then you may want to consider the MK3 with HI emitter. The emitter is domeless so it will have increased throw compared with the regular MK3. The UI is superior to Nitecore lights imo and the build quality is also better. However if you're looking for a light that throws farther than the Nitecore MH20 then you would probably want to look elsewhere. If you want a light with better UI, build quality and extra lumens then the MK3 might be a good option. It does use only unprotected flat top cells but if you don't mind that it will be a better light in every department except for throw, it may be similar or a little less. I have a few Nitecore lights and the extra $ is well spent on the ZL.

chillylight

Newly Enlightened
The SC600 MKIII is not a significant improvement imo but, is still an improvement in some areas. The MH20 will have more throw and a tighter hotspot(because of the larger head and deeper smooth reflector). It also gives you built in charging. Where as the ZL gives you slightly higher output, a brighter spill and larger hot spot(due to it being more floody). It also has a programmable UI and is slightly smaller.. )

Thanks, that is just the information I was looking for.

chillylight

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking at the two and don't mind NW tint then you may want to consider the MK3 with HI emitter. The emitter is domeless so it will have increased throw compared with the regular MK3. The UI is superior to Nitecore lights imo and the build quality is also better. However if you're looking for a light that throws farther than the Nitecore MH20 then you would probably want to look elsewhere. If you want a light with better UI, build quality and extra lumens then the MK3 might be a good option. It does use only unprotected flat top cells but if you don't mind that it will be a better light in every department except for throw, it may be similar or a little less. I have a few Nitecore lights and the extra $ is well spent on the ZL.

I'd buy an MK3 HI today if Zebralight had them in stock. I recently got my first Zebralight, an SC62w. I liked it so much that I then bought an H600Fd MK3. Liked that one as well, so I ordered an H602w from some shyster in California, the only place I could find one. Been waiting a week for that one to get here. I then wanted an MK3 HI, but thought it might be easier to find a regular SC600 MK3. I can't stand being on a waiting list, so I don't pre order any lights. I figure that there is a version of the SC600 MK3 in my future, as well as an SC63, so I have four NCR18650GA batteries standing by. Thanks for your valuable input.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that is worded a little strong and not quite accurate. The MH20 has built in charging, a better voltage readout, a more advanced 3 stage switch, last mode memory(which can be nice if you use a certain mode a lot), and a button beacon(which is a really nice addition to a plain button).

As for UI and build quality, the ZL has better anodizing for sure but, beyond that I dont see too much difference. In fact the pressed in switch and bezel are a downgrade imo vs Nitecore's both being threaded. ZL also has the newer XHP-35 which seams to have less tint shift issues then the XM-L2. Their UI is programmable and you get 11 possible brightness modes but, only one more mode(6 vs 5) for normal use. Some find ZL's UI overly complicated however and it requires a lot of clicks to get to what you want comparatively. The Nitecore has access to moonlight, Turbo, and your last used mode from off and all with just one different press of the button due to the awesome 3 stage switch. Zl has very efficient drivers(some of the best in the business) as well but, Nitecores are still pretty good too. Both have thermal regulation. The ZL is brighter but only about 6% in perceived brightness so not a huge difference really.

So, in conclusion I wouldnt say the SC600 MKIII is necessarily a significant improvement over the MH20. They both have their pros and cons. Another thing to remember is that the Nitecore can be had for close to half the price of the Zebralight so one could argue that it is the better value. Nitecore also has a 5 year warranty vs Zebralights 1 year. They are both great lights, that is for certain. I dont think anyone could go wrong with either.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that is worded a little strong and not quite accurate. The MH20 has built in charging, a better voltage readout, a more advanced 3 stage switch, last mode memory(which can be nice if you use a certain mode a lot), and a button beacon(which is a really nice addition to a plain button).

As for UI and build quality, the ZL has better anodizing for sure but, beyond that I dont see too much difference. In fact the pressed in switch and bezel are a downgrade imo vs Nitecore's both being threaded. ZL also has the newer XHP-35 which seams to have less tint shift issues then the XM-L2. Their UI is programmable and you get 11 possible brightness modes but, only one more mode(6 vs 5) for normal use. Some find ZL's UI overly complicated however and it requires a lot of clicks to get to what you want comparatively. The Nitecore has access to moonlight, Turbo, and your last used mode from off and all with just one different press of the button due to the awesome 3 stage switch. Zl has very efficient drivers(some of the best in the business) as well but, Nitecores are still pretty good too. Both have thermal regulation. The ZL is brighter but only about 6% in perceived brightness so not a huge difference really.

So, in conclusion I wouldnt say the SC600 MKIII is necessarily a significant improvement over the MH20. They both have their pros and cons. Another thing to remember is that the Nitecore can be had for close to half the price of the Zebralight so one could argue that it is the better value. They are both great lights, that is for certain.

I think it's an accurate assessment of the two lights. I'll list the pros/cons below for where they have an advantage it helps me to see a list view sometimes.
Throw- probably the MH20 but no side by side tests yet to confirm this.
Anodizing- ZL
CRI/Tint- ZL, 80 CRI vs 65 in the Nitecore CW or 70 in their NW version
Emitter- ZL, XHP35 is more efficient and runs cooler
Runtime- ZL
UI- ZL is more customizable but some might prefer Nitecore UI, a draw here based on user preference.
Brightness- ZL is rated for 1126 lumens but based on the early results for the MK3 CW getting 300-400 more lumens than rated the ZL might be putting out 1300-1400 in NW and puts out 1600-1700 in CW. That's a pretty significant difference imo.
Battery- Nitecore is restricted to button tops whereas ZL to flat top unprotected, a draw.
Potting- ZL has potting to increase durability, Nitecore does not. Advantage ZL.
Thermal regulation- draw, both have good heat management
Clip- both have snap on clips no advantage either way.

As as for the built in charging, if a person needs that then Nitecore has an advantage however it also presents problems. Many users report the flap being quite flimsy and wearing out with time. This completely ruins any waterproofing or water resistance of the light and is a serious weak point imo especially for someone who may be outdoors a lot. All it takes is for a small breach in the seal and you can easily get water into the charging port and have issues. Water and lithium cells don't mix well either. Suffice to say the overall comparison of the two lights indicates many advantages to the ZL and outside user preference for things like battery type and preferred UI, the only possible clear advantages offered by the MH20 are a lower price and possibly better throw, although that has yet to be confirmed. Both are good lights and I love Nitecore, the D10 light started my hobby years ago and I own quite a few of them and love the PD series they did several years ago. However I do think the advantages offered by the ZL are well worth the extra money if one prefers the UI, extra CRI, anodizing, etc. I do agree they are both good lights but the ZL offers more advantages imo.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd buy an MK3 HI today if Zebralight had them in stock. I recently got my first Zebralight, an SC62w. I liked it so much that I then bought an H600Fd MK3. Liked that one as well, so I ordered an H602w from some shyster in California, the only place I could find one. Been waiting a week for that one to get here. I then wanted an MK3 HI, but thought it might be easier to find a regular SC600 MK3. I can't stand being on a waiting list, so I don't pre order any lights. I figure that there is a version of the SC600 MK3 in my future, as well as an SC63, so I have four NCR18650GA batteries standing by. Thanks for your valuable input.

No problem! If you don't mind waiting the MK3 HI might be worth it for the extra throw it gives, however ZL does not have the MK3 in stock both CW and NW options so if you want one now it might be a better option. The ZL lights are addicting, once you get one its hard to stop there.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's an accurate assessment of the two lights. I'll list the pros/cons below for where they have an advantage it helps me to see a list view sometimes.
Throw- probably the MH20 but no side by side tests yet to confirm this.
Anodizing- ZL
CRI/Tint- ZL, 80 CRI vs 65 in the Nitecore CW or 70 in their NW version
Emitter- ZL, XHP35 is more efficient and runs cooler
Runtime- ZL
UI- ZL is more customizable but some might prefer Nitecore UI, a draw here based on user preference.
Brightness- ZL is rated for 1126 lumens but based on the early results for the MK3 CW getting 300-400 more lumens than rated the ZL might be putting out 1300-1400 in NW and puts out 1600-1700 in CW. That's a pretty significant difference imo.
Battery- Nitecore is restricted to button tops whereas ZL to flat top unprotected, a draw.
Potting- ZL has potting to increase durability, Nitecore does not. Advantage ZL.
Thermal regulation- draw, both have good heat management
Clip- both have snap on clips no advantage either way.

As as for the built in charging, if a person needs that then Nitecore has an advantage however it also presents problems. Many users report the flap being quite flimsy and wearing out with time. This completely ruins any waterproofing or water resistance of the light and is a serious weak point imo especially for someone who may be outdoors a lot. All it takes is for a small breach in the seal and you can easily get water into the charging port and have issues. Water and lithium cells don't mix well either. Suffice to say the overall comparison of the two lights indicates many advantages to the ZL and outside user preference for things like battery type and preferred UI, the only possible clear advantages offered by the MH20 are a lower price and possibly better throw, although that has yet to be confirmed. Both are good lights and I love Nitecore, the D10 light started my hobby years ago and I own quite a few of them and love the PD series they did several years ago. However I do think the advantages offered by the ZL are well worth the extra money if one prefers the UI, extra CRI, anodizing, etc. I do agree they are both good lights but the ZL offers more advantages imo.

How is this statement accurate lol " it will be a better light in every department except for throw". The Nitecore is better in other departments as well.

You seam to have a very biased opinion towards ZL as you disregarded some of Nitecores advantages I said and left them off your list. I like Zebralight as a company better myself but, you have to be fair with the comparison. You should really try a MH20 before deciding, it is not your average Nitecore. Here is a bunch more points to add to your list:

Switch - NC(much nicer 3 stage switch with beacon)
Voltage readout - NC(reads voltage right to the decimal point vs only 4 blinks on the ZL)
Bezel and switch cover - NC(both are threaded for lens or switch boot replacement, maintenance, or modding)
CRI - ZL, you listed this wrong as the OP is comparing CW emitters there is only a 5 point difference(ZL-70CRI/Nitecore-65CRI) The NW version is 75 not 70 by the way.
Battery compatibility - NC(uses almost any size cell with a button top including bare cells)
Heatsinking - NC(more mass and surface area so will run longer at high with lower temps)
Weight - ZL
Size/Footprint - ZL
Pocket Clip - NC(deep carry with option for 2 ride heights)
Waterproofing - NC(You mention the USB cover but, it is actually very tight fitting and you even get a spare. I dont see it ever leaking under normal use. ZL's have been plagued with waterproofing issues over the years due to their pressed in switch cover and bezel. I for one trust Nitecore more)
Warranty - NC(5 years for NC vs 1 year for ZL)

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is this statement accurate lol " it will be a better light in every department except for throw". The Nitecore is better in other departments as well.

You seam to have a very biased opinion towards ZL as you disregarded some of Nitecores advantages I said and left them off your list. I like Zebralight as a company better myself but, you have to be fair with the comparison. You should really try a MH20 before deciding, it is not your average Nitecore. Here is a bunch more points to add to your list:

Switch - NC(much nicer 3 stage switch with beacon)
Voltage readout - NC(reads voltage right to the decimal point vs only 4 blinks on the ZL)
Bezel and switch cover - NC(both are threaded for lens or switch boot replacement, maintenance, or modding)
CRI - ZL, you listed this wrong as the OP is comparing CW emitters there is only a 5 point difference(ZL-70CRI/Nitecore-65CRI) The NW version is 75 not 70 by the way.
Battery compatibility - NC(uses almost any size cell with a button top including bare cells)
Heatsinking - NC(more mass and surface area so will run longer at high with lower temps)
Weight - ZL
Size/Footprint - ZL
Pocket Clip - NC(deep carry with option for 2 ride heights)
Waterproofing - NC(You mention the USB cover but, it is actually very tight fitting and you even get a spare. ZL's have been plagued with waterproofing issues over the years due to their pressed in switch cover and bezel. I for one trust Nitecore more)
Warranty - NC(5 years for NC vs 1 year for ZL)

Not going to get OT and turn this into a debate but the point remains and many of the things you listed like battery, switch feel/design, etc are more of a preference. Some may like one switch design or UI better than another. Some users may like or need a beacon while others might be annoyed by it. I think the main areas looked at in regards to performance, as originally asked, are throw, output, battery compatibility, water resistance, runtime, clip, tint consistency and CRI. The items left off the list I consider more optional and based more upon user preference. The original question was asked in regards to performance for which beacon modes, weight, size, warranty length, and bezel/switch covers are more features and specs while CRI, tint, throw, output, etc have more to do with performance, at least imo.

Also Nitecore is not known for efficient heatsinking. Look around and you'll see that many of their lights have poor heatsinking design internally. Perhaps they've changed this for the MH20 but I know most of their recent lights have below average heatsinking. Also they thread lock most of their bezels on their lights making that difficult to access for modding. Vinh had a time with several of their new designs and even stopped modding the EC11 series for awhile (maybe permanently?) due to the thread lock used. Not what I would consider mod friendly either. Their switches can be replaced if you can find the correct part and size but that's not within the scope of the OP's question about performance. The switch on the Nitecore doesn't interest me, neither does the requirement to use button tops or lower CRI or rechargeable feature in the light. Those are preferences of mine and why I'm not interested in the MH20.

As far as I know they use a 70cri XM-L2 in their NW version since Cree lists either 70 or 80cri but no 75 options. Perhaps Nitecore got a special custom one? I've not seen anything indicating the NW version is 75cri.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not going to get OT and turn this into a debate but the point remains and many of the things you listed like battery, switch feel/design, etc are more of a preference. Some may like one switch design or UI better than another. Some users may like or need a beacon while others might be annoyed by it. I think the main areas looked at in regards to performance, as originally asked, are throw, output, battery compatibility, water resistance, runtime, clip, tint consistency and CRI. The items left off the list I consider more optional and based more upon user preference. The original question was asked in regards to performance for which beacon modes, weight, size, warranty length, and bezel/switch covers are more features and specs while CRI, tint, throw, output, etc have more to do with performance, at least imo.

Also Nitecore is not known for efficient heatsinking. Look around and you'll see that many of their lights have poor heatsinking design internally. Perhaps they've changed this for the MH20 but I know most of their recent lights have below average heatsinking. Also they thread lock most of their bezels on their lights making that difficult to access for modding. Vinh had a time with several of their new designs and even stopped modding the EC11 series for awhile (maybe permanently?) due to the thread lock used. Not what I would consider mod friendly either. Their switches can be replaced if you can find the correct part and size but that's not within the scope of the OP's question about performance. The switch on the Nitecore doesn't interest me, neither does the requirement to use button tops or lower CRI or rechargeable feature in the light. Those are preferences of mine and why I'm not interested in the MH20.

As far as I know they use a 70cri XM-L2 in their NW version since Cree lists either 70 or 80cri but no 75 options. Perhaps Nitecore got a special custom one? I've not seen anything indicating the NW version is 75cri.

I think enough has been said for the OP to make his decision.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chillylight, let us know what you decide to go with and how it works out! If you do get a MK3 it would be interesting to see a comparison between it and the MH20.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I learned some things about the mh20 I never knew. Good info.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do these two flashlights have comparable mode spacing, or is one of them decidedly better than the other?

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does these two flashlights have
comparable mode spacing, or is one of them decidedly better than the other?

The Nitecore has 1000, 410, 230, 50, and 1 as the 5 mode choices. The ZL, based on the CW tint, has 1300, 670, 360, 160, 70, 32, 12, 3.8, .43, .06 and .01 but only 6 of those modes are easily accessible. It gives a choice to select a second level in addition to the 1300 high, 70 lumen medium and 3.8 for low.

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
If you don't actually have both lights then IMO it's harder to make the proper comparison, so I won't do that. I'll just tell you what I know about the one I have.

I have the MH20, didn't really know what to expect with it, but really like it. For the group buy price it was a steal. I keep it in my truck and I'm in my truck a lot. Since I already have the MH20 and I like it, the SC600mkIII provides nothing else to me on paper anyway that is worth the $$. I have a SC63w and love it, but to me the UI is fine, and the MH20 is fine. I honestly like the instant on and camera shutter type switch on my "old" TM26 best of all my lights.

Now when the hi CRI version of the SC600 comes out, I'll be all over that!

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The discussion above does a good job comparing these two flashlights. I don't want to repeat the things that were already said, so I am adding just two or three new things that have not been mentioned so far.

Most of the reviews I have read, including the one by selfbuilt, say that the Nitecore MH20 outputs substantially more lumens on its middle three modes than it is rated for. Here are the numbers from selfbuilt's review.

His sample, at least, jumps from 1 lumen in "lower" mode to 125 in low mode. That's a big jump. At the top end, selfbuilt reports the opposite. Mode spacing on the top three modes is too small. The difference between medium (at 370 lumens) and high (at 590 lumens) is only 220 lumens. That's much less than even a factor of 2. With turbo at 990 lumens, the difference between high and turbo is also less than a factor of 2.

Other reviewers and CPF members have reported similar findings. The only exception is the review by MHanlen that was posted yesterday. He measured low at 73 lumens, which is still a pretty big jump from the 1-lumen "lower" setting. At the top, MHanlen reports 301, 525, and 928 lumens.

If these numbers are right, then my strong opinion is that the ZebraLight SC600 Mk. III has far better mode spacing than the Nitecore MH20. That matters a lot to me. Compared to some of the more subtle features that were compared above, mode spacing is a biggie.

Another difference that has not been discussed yet is the drivers. Nitecore uses a buck driver in the MH20. ZebraLight uses a boost driver in the SC600 Mk. III. On all modes below turbo, output on the MH20 enters a declining, direct-drive-like pattern somewhere around 75% or 80% of the way through a run. On the ZebraLight, output stays nearly flat, until a forced step-down occurs when the battery gets low.

Which of these you prefer may be a matter of personal choice. For the ways I use a flashlight, I like the predictable output levels given by the ZebraLight. I like flat output.

For those concerned about accidentally over-discharging a Li-ion cell, the ZebraLight has small edge over the Nitecore. Like all recent Li-ion models from ZebraLight, the SC600 Mk. III has a low-voltage cutoff that turns the flashlight off when its battery gets low. Cutoff occurs at 2.7 volts. On the MH20, the main beam blinks to alert you when the battery gets low. The Nitecore does not have a low-voltage cutoff, so you could get into trouble if your MH20 were accidentally activated or left unattended. It gives you a good warning, however, if you are there to notice it.

Last edited:

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I think the interesting thing here is that the Nitecore at just over half the price of the ZL, can be compared to the ZL and gets such rigorous debate about their respective pros and cons.

Personally, I expect the ZL to be better, considering the large price difference.