If you had to choose only a single output ...

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you were limited to just one output level for everything, what would you choose and why ?

I think this might generate some fun discussion ... [emoji14]

My choice would be 30 lumens OTF.

Probably 90% of my typical lighting needs are within 10-30 feet, so massive output is unnecessary (if not counterproductive) .

With modern emitter efficiency and current battery tech, runtimes at 30 lumens are endless.

Although 30 lumens in pitch dark is way way too much, I really couldn't make do with a moonlight type mode for most general purposes. Could always partly block the lens with a thumb, or pop on a red filter, I guess ....

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, tricky. My most used mode on my Haiku with a HIVE and 119V is LL, but realistically I could get by all around on L which is ~13 lumens. A CW or low-cri emitter probably more like 30-40 lumens.

The L on the haiku is low enough to be useful indoors but still have some enough reach for maneuvering around outdoors. The HI CRI helps with depth perception even with the lower output. This is given dark adapted eyes of course.

twin63

Newly Enlightened
Earlier this evening, I was messing around with a used Surefire C2 that I just received and was thinking that 65lm is more than adequate for utility lighting. My most used lights are Quark AA's/AA2's. 80-90% of the time I'm using 0.3 or 3lm. If forced to pick one output level for everything, I would go with 25-30lm. Plenty of light for most of my needs and about 20hrs of runtime with my Quarks.

tops2

Enlightened
Interesting question. Right now I like 50-60 lumens. It's bright enough for most of my uses. If I need it darker, I can use my fingers to manually block the light.

When I first started down this hobby, I tend to like 100-200 lumens (or more) and thought moonlight is useless. But the more I use, especially my Zebralight SC5w, I use the 50 lumens and moonlight levels the most.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough question. That would be like if I had to choose only a single Led Zeppelin song. The best choice for one mood would not be the best choice for another mood.

The best choice for one task would not be the best choice for another task.

I guess my best all-around choice would be 1,600 lumens from the FourSevens MMU-X3. But I really want ten times more. :)

mbw_151

Enlightened
This is a tough question, it's why I don't own many single output lights. If it's really dark out 10-15 lumens like the low on a Malkoff M361 or the default low on an HDS is good enough. If it's a little brighter, the medium on a M361 of 65 lumens or the 40 lumen medium of my HDS is good. So, I guess I would go with 40-60 lumens and duct tape to tone it down in the dark. I'm excluding consideration of lights that accompany firearms, where I feel 300 lumens is the minimum and more is better.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If big bro kicked in my door and confiscated all but one of my choosing...at this point I'd pick my Mag 4C xenon. And being I'm down to 1 light I'd sneek a nite ize emitter in it and stash the bulbs.

But I'd dang sure try my best to keep them from taking my Microstream...
The rifle and pistol of flashlights in my home.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy. 250 lumen. Have a decent amount of single mode lights. Used the malkoff 2-3d xpg drop in and Nailbender xre optic p60 XRE the most. Maybe of any of my lights. Enough to see further away but not so much as to be blinding. Solid run times at that level as well. Can always filter down to less if needed.

Mkduffer

Newly Enlightened
+1 Sound logic, though I might lower it to 200, just personal preference.

Easy. 250 lumen. Have a decent amount of single mode lights. Used the malkoff 2-3d xpg drop in and Nailbender xre optic p60 XRE the most. Maybe of any of my lights. Enough to see further away but not so much as to be blinding. Solid run times at that level as well. Can always filter down to less if needed.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some light is better than no light. Too much light is an issue in various applications.

30-40 Lm in a proper beam can do just about anything you need it to, provide extended run-times and won't be too overwhelming.

Fleetwood

Newly Enlightened
1,000 here too. Because I like having the ability to light stuff up from afar with an impressive wall of light. If I needed to see up-close, I could (and have in the past) manually limited the lumen output by placing a thumb over the lens.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... My most used lights are Quark AA's/AA2's. 80-90% of the time I'm using 0.3 or 3lm. If forced to pick one output level for everything, I would go with 25-30lm...

Same for me.... but I would choose 2 lms - I'm a night vision/runtime enthusiast.