Klarus        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Standby/Backup Generator ??

Default Re: Your Standby/Backup Generator ??

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I'm going to bump this to extend my Honda love. We had occasion to use both of our Hondas on a rotating basis (four days on, four days off for each) last year. We ran 24-7 non stop, changing oil during the four day downtime for each machine. I now have just over 1000 hours on each, neither missed a beat. I can't speak highly enough of both machines.
    This is great information, scout24; thank you for sharing and updating. Real-world experience is the best!

Flashaholic
    Formerly KE7AYF

We have a goal zero yeti 1400 and 150 watts of solar panels. Not the most cost efficient system, but dose precisely what I needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side" -ancient Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by The-David View Post
    We have a goal zero yeti 1400 and 150 watts of solar panels. Not the most cost efficient system, but dose precisely what I needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Congrats on the Goal Zero set-up !

Last Sept. I picked up an Inergy Kodiak solar generator and paired it with a Powerfilm 120 foldable panel. Like you said, not the most cost effective but it does what I needed it for.

honda eu1000i for light work.
    honda eb3500.ran the shop/house a week after we got hit by a tornado in Dayton Memorial day.
    and an antique generac "camper special".
    it has been here about 30 years and was old when i got it.
    it too ran my place 2 weeks after ike hit.
    and lots of solar,batteries,ect.

I have had a Yamaha 2000 watt inverter for more than a decade, used a few times in anger. It feeds through a 10 gauge 100 foot power cord to a 6-circuit transfer switch. This was mainly to power the sump pump and furnace to care for my wife, who cannot handle cold temps.

Also have a Yamaha EF3000iSEB purchased spring 2019, which uses an internal lead-acid battery to boost output to 3500 watts for 10 seconds. This will replace the 2k unit for powering the transfer switch, and the 2k can be dedicated to the sump pump, which can run every 15 minutes in wet weather.

The transfer switch has circuits for furnace, sump pump, one kitchen wall (microwave and fridge), living room (tv!), bathroom, and 'computer' room. It's a Gentran 15116v with watt meters. 'Backfeeding' is illegal and highly dangerous, so please don't do that.

Bought the 2k Yamaha to avoid the Honda's plastic cam gear problems. (Honda has dealers everywhere, Yamaha DOES NOT).

Bought the Yam 3k for the boost mode, and cheaper amazon price.

You need to change the oil somewhere around 50 hours of use. These small gennies don't have a lot of oil in them. You should run them before each storm season. I keep about 20 gallons of treated non-ethanol fuel on hand, and cycle it into the cars each year. I use Marine Stabil and Techron to keep the gas fresh longer, and the tiny carb orifices clean. My boat motor sat unused for about 10 years, and when I rebuilt that carb, it looked brand-new inside. That gas also feeds the lawn implements and snow blower.

Flashaholic

I used to treat the gas before storage. Now that I buy nonetahnol and store in Jerry cans, I have used 2+ year old gas with no problem!!!! Real Jerry cans are amaze. Lol

I keep 20 in jerry's and use another 30 in lawn equipment but cycle it all a couple times a year.

My 2k Yamaha hasn't had a lot of use but a few hours at a time over the last 11 years is all we've needed. I have the yeti lithium 400 (and a Boulder 50) for the small stuff and it will run a small fan for 12 hours in a pinch. But I DO want to get a solar solution for the well pump at a minimum....

Quote Originally Posted by bignc View Post
    I used to treat the gas before storage. Now that I buy nonetahnol and store in Jerry cans, I have used 2+ year old gas with no problem!!!! Real Jerry cans are amaze. Lol

I'm certain everyone has a different experience on this point, but I too have also had similar results to bignc. In Australia, while E10 and E15 and E90 and just about any other E with a number you can think of, are available, we are lucky enough to have access to non ethanol fuel ( gas ) just about anywhere. Kept in a jerrycan that seals properly, it lasts 12 months - 2 years without any worry. I still throw in a recommended dose of Stabil anyway, cause I don't think my EU10i or 2kw Yamaha have that well sealed fuel tanks. The powers that supposedly be, in Victoria, Aus, at least, are predicting power outages over this Summer, so the gennies may get a run or two on a fridge and evaporative roof mounted cooler, and, there's plenty of well charged 18650,s and torches for light.

Cheers Mike! I just found this thread although it has been going for nearly 4 years.
    For my petrol gennies and motorcycles, I put a small amount (30ml per 20l or 1 oz per 5 gal US) of TC-W3 2 stroke oil in non-ethanol petrol. This helps to prevent rust in steel tanks and jerry cans, and I've heard it also contains a stabilizer.

Tracy

I sold my house and the 5K Coleman 10 HP generator with it.
    It was a 220v / 110 unit.
    Man... it was LOUD!!!

I put it into a sound insulated box which made it bearable, but still it could be heard from a distance.

I recently bought a Harbor Freight 3500 watt inverter generator.
    It was kind of an impulse buy. My main consideration was quietness. Second consideration was fuel economy.

Under 1500 watt load the HF 3500 was quite a bit more quiet than the Honda EU2000 at the same load.
    Thinking that the Honda would be under at least 50% load most of the time, the HF 3500 would be quieter.

The trade off is that the little Honda sips fuel better when not under load.
    OTOH the little Honda has less capacity should greater capacity be needed.

The biggest downside of a 110 v unit is that it will not run my 220v central AC.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12