NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Standby/Backup Generator ??

Default Your Standby/Backup Generator ??

So, does anyone own, use, aspire to own, just disposed of, some form of portable or backup, petrol ( gas ) or diesel generator ? Is it something that just gathers dust in the shed, or something that can be used for camping, tailgating, to run the home fridge and a few lights in an emergency ?
    I own a Honda EU10i, a Senci 2.0kva Inverter ( Identical to the US ' Smarter Tools AP2000i Inverter ', apart from voltage ) and a homebuilt, single cylinder diesel powered, 6.12kva 4 pole 240v single phase, AVR controlled generator. Good for camping ( the two inverters, that is ), and that ' big outage ', should ever it happen.
    Where you are, is home generation the norm ?? or is the grid totally reliable ??
    Interested to learn peoples views...
    Cheers.

Default Re: Your Standby/Backup Generator ??

OMG I would love a natural gas powered automatic generator hooked into entire house system. Unfortunately I need a new heating system more and some masonry repairs etc.

Yeah, i think we nearly all have that issue, household maintainence. Gennies aside, imagine the incoming packages if we didnt have to worry about household maintainence, but then again, i dont think i could put up with ' SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED'S ' nagging, if that were the case.

Harro- There's an excellent thread on the Honda EU2000i, if you search for it. I'm on my phone, or I'd post the link...

I have a gas powered Generac 15000E. It's a big, powerful unit. I have a hard wired hookup I use to send power directly into the house electric switch box. From there, I can run the well, furnace, air handler, pellet stove, water heater, etc.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

I'm kinda nuts. Well, sort of. Rather than going whole house I have a number of small generators, including 2 of the EXCELLENT Honda EU2000i units. I can connect them to produce 3500 clean watts. Have a couple of 2 stroke generators, a bigger Honda, and another Champion. Even though I live in tornado alley, we rarely lose power so mine mainly gather dust, but I do pull them out and run them under load regularly. All of them are gasoline, and I buy ONLY alcohol free gasoline and put a stabilizer in it.

"Better to have it, and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!"

I have a Coleman 5k 10HP generator. I used it for 3 days during superstorm Sandy. It is LOUD! I since put it into a deck box that I sound insulated, and moved it to the back of the house. It is chained to a poured concrete footing. If I ever need it, I have to manually manipulate the interlock switch, and plug it into the specialty generator input plug.

We rarely have an outage, and when we do it is usually, just an hour or two.

I don't use stabil , I run it dry. Two or three times a year I use a small funnel of about 2 oz. To run her to make sure a spider didn't get into the carb and clog it up.

I have a few gas containers that I fill, and once in a while I empty them into my car, and put fresh gas in.

My spare car is a mini van with a 25 gallon tank that. Gets topped off .

A friend had a whole house natural gas generator installed, and ran it for a week or so and was shocked at how much it cost to run.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

A friend had a whole house natural gas generator installed, and ran it for a week or so and was shocked at how much it cost to run
    I guess we don't think about such things in an emergency, but something that provides probably 15 Kw give or take, needs to be powered somehow. There are some exceptional whole home systems out there, which, if your grid power is less than reliable, are a good investment I imagine. Others are happy to run the bare essentials like refrigeration, heating, lights etc. I know of a person who maintains a similar sized ( 5Kw ) generator for medical/life support reasons.

My apologies to the moderators/forum for posting originally in the incorrect place.
    Mike.

We have a 20Kw natural gas Generac system which runs our entire house. It automatically starts when the power is out for 30 seconds and turns off when the power comes back on. It was installed about 4 years ago and it has been needed 4 times since then, including superstorm Sandy. In fact, 5 days after it was installed we had a micro-burst come through our area and the generator ran continuously for one week before we got power back. Our gas bill went up about $80 that month. The system is actually set up with an auxiliary 220 volt plug so that a gasoline generator can be attached if there is no natural gas available or the natural gas generator is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDad View Post
    We have a 20Kw natural gas Generac system which runs our entire house. It automatically starts when the power is out for 30 seconds and turns off when the power comes back on. It was installed about 4 years ago and it has been needed 4 times since then, including superstorm Sandy. In fact, 5 days after it was installed we had a micro-burst come through our area and the generator ran continuously for one week before we got power back. Our gas bill went up about $80 that month. The system is actually set up with an auxiliary 220 volt plug so that a gasoline generator can be attached if there is no natural gas available or the natural gas generator is not working.
    Nice! I was looking into that at one point for my home. But in calculating the expense, there's some planning and saving to do.
    LUX'Ottica

I've got the excellent Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generator for emergencies etc. I bought one of the last made in Japan ones.

Nice. My Senci 2.0kva has all Yamaha gear in it, but its the Chinese version. One wonders how longevity will compare with the Japanese built stuff ?? Time will tell, I guess. The Chinese MX80 build even sounds a bit different to the original.

I'd be interested to know if the China build kept the Stellite valves & seats etc. I read where the Yamaha 2000 inverter was being run for mains power by some Ausies in remote locations. They ran 24/7

Hadnt heard that, but i guess like anything, if oil is checked and changed as necessary, why not? I have heard of some Honda's wearing out in as little as six months or so, after virtually constant use. When you look at hourly usage, it is a lot of hours! ! I imagine valves and guides and seats would be made to a standard, but whether or not they're Stellite, is another matter.

The Yamaha is a tough generator, somewhat old school. The Honda 2000 will put out a bit more power with the overhead cam engine & is belt drive to the camshaft. I prefer the more industrial Yamaha although it was a bit more money.

We have an eu2000i here that was bought close to 10 years ago now. On and off usage, but it got us through "Superstorm Sandy" without missing a beat running for a week straight. I stopped it long enough to change the oil once, and when refueling. Ran my fridge and pellet stove non-stop, made coffee, and charged batteries, cellphones, laptops, etc. We go to antique and flea markets a few times a summer, and by and large see mainly Hondas used by the vendors. I like how the eu2000i has served me, and recently purchased an EU7000is for whole house use. Just as quiet as the eu2000i, just a slightly deeper tone. Fuel injected, electric start, I'm going to get spoiled... The eu2000i will stay as backup. I've heard nothing but good things about the Yamaha, I guess it mainly comes down to personal preference.

I live in the country and have a propane fired Generac 15Kw unit with a transfer switch. Runs my kitchen, HVAC, ham radios etc. Auto start with power loss. Nice to go back to sleep when the AC comes back during summer storms. Been installed for almost 12 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    We have an eu2000i here that was bought close to 10 years ago now. On and off usage, but it got us through "Superstorm Sandy" without missing a beat running for a week straight. I stopped it long enough to change the oil once, and when refueling. Ran my fridge and pellet stove non-stop, made coffee, and charged batteries, cellphones, laptops, etc. We go to antique and flea markets a few times a summer, and by and large see mainly Hondas used by the vendors. I like how the eu2000i has served me, and recently purchased an EU7000is for whole house use. Just as quiet as the eu2000i, just a slightly deeper tone. Fuel injected, electric start, I'm going to get spoiled... The eu2000i will stay as backup. I've heard nothing but good things about the Yamaha, I guess it mainly comes down to personal preference.
    No doubt the Honda is a good one. I go to an auto swap meet twice a year & its all Honda.

Flashaholic*

This an unexpected post here on CPF but nice to read about what others like or have knowledge about. I know it took me many years to find what I could get by with. I think I'm like most who would be the happiest with a whole house setup but between fuel consumption and the fact we rarely are out for more than a day and most often more like a couple hours I settled on a old trusty 4kw Onan out of a motor home. Not as nice a decent Honda but electric start and still ultra reliable and very quiet if you install a good automotive muffler on it. Wired for 110v and patched in to the power panel it will do all of the 110. Just have to make sure the 208 breakers are thrown and the 200 amp main. And keep enough fresh gas at the ready every season!

Still up for conversation?

I don't believe we've had a power outage that lasted more than an hour or two in the last 10 years, but I very much want a small generator like the Honda or Yamaha 2000 units to run the refrigerator and furnace fan if something were to happen in the winter. A manual interlock/transfer switch to those two breakers and an outlet would be just right for my house - we have plenty of battery-powered light to last for months!

Had an unexpected use of my EU7000is today. Lost power around noon, and got an alert from our power company saying it would be 4-5 hours. A great time to do a "dry run". Out it came, hooked up to the house, shut off all non-essential breakers (and the main) and let it get some exercise. Always nice to do this in daylight, above freezing, and no precipitation. Not two hours after power was restored and everything was put away, we had torrential rain and hail, and 40mph winds. Thankfully, the power stayed on!

I've got a loud 1982 Honda 4.5KW(4KW continuous) that looks like it was bought yesterday and a 1-year old Yamaha 2000i inverter genny. Also have a 30 Volt/150 Ah LiFeP04 battery pack feeding a Samlex 1500 Full Sine Wave inverter. There are almost no power outages here....except for last Friday through Sunday. That's extremely unusual. So I had fun using all 3 backup systems at different times. We pretty much lived normally. My G.E. Profile fridge is a 2010 unit and equipped with an inverter driven dc motor/compressor. I've taken start-up and running readings and am amazed that it has no surge at all and runs at less than 100 watts. Scout, I am Really Really eying that Honda EU7000is. The way you describe it, it's everything I could possibly want. I'd really like to have a manual transfer switch installed along with the Honda 7000. But that battery pack feeding the inverter is 100% silent and I've also thought about tripling the pack size and doubling the inverter size.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

In my last energy bill the company newsletter gave the stat that they average 1 outage a year for less than 30 minutes, which seems in line with what I've experienced from them the last 5 years...le sigh

Still have plans for a generator, just way down the list since my actual need for it is so low.

scout24 and BVH, thanks for sharing your recent experiences!

Another Honda eu2000 fan here. Ours ran for a week when we got hit with a Dorechio (Straight line winds) that knocked power lines down and damaged houses. On my list is a Goal Zero Yeti 1250 or the new 1400 (Lithium Battery version) solar generator that should be out shortly.

scout24 That eu7000 is a beautiful thing! Was thinking about that one!

Sledhead- I needed access to 240v, and wanted the quiet inverter like my EU2000i. I thought about whole house standby, but we don't have natural gas here, and I don't want 1000gal. of propane buried. The final decider for me was this is portable, so I can loan it to family if needed. It's 280+/- pounds, on wheels, so it's somewhat portable. 39 hours on it so far, I changed the oil after 10 hours. I'd expect nothing less, but so far so good.

Edit- I like the looks of the Yeti, it's on the endless list...
    Last edited by scout24; 02-26-2017 at 09:22 AM.

I'm going to bump this to extend my Honda love. We had occasion to use both of our Hondas on a rotating basis (four days on, four days off for each) last year. We ran 24-7 non stop, changing oil during the four day downtime for each machine. I now have just over 1000 hours on each, neither missed a beat. I can't speak highly enough of both machines.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

I have a 5,000 watt that runs off propane or gas. I have a bunch of propane tanks filled and waiting.
    I also have a Lister diesel unit that I am putting together.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

I wonder why are Honda generators so expensive? Generac produces twice the power for the same money, Yamaha produces same power, but costs twice less

I presume that was legitimate curiosity on your part, and not trolling. If I could get a Yamaha inverter generator for half the cost of the Honda, I probably would. They are comprably priced here. You're paying for quality, reputation, longevity, dealer parts and service support, and warranty. Generac isn't in the same class in those areas.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast