E series McClicky install

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been researching how to install a McClicky into an E-Series tailcap and couldn't find a guide... So I made one!

Some comparison shots of a McClicky vs a Surefire Clicky (E series):
IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

How a Z61 is assembled:
IMG_1181.JPG

Now for the modification part.. I think the image below pretty much sums it up. I have lined up the parts of the switches that come in contact with the body so we can use it as a reference point.
Where%252520to%252520file.jpg

After crudely executing the modification:

IMG_1187.JPG

Victory shots!
IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

Hope this helps someone out! PM me if you have any questions :thumbsup:

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Wow. This is weird. I had just got done building a fixture last weekend and taking pic's to create something similar to what you just posted. Great minds huh? There is a tutorial of this mod here on CPF but its old and all of the pic links have died so its descriptions without any visual reference. I had it bookmarked but just deleted it as I had planned a write up like yours.

As mentioned I made a holding fixture out of 1/4" think aluminum. Nothing but screw it in and file away. I used a lock washer pressed in from one side and set it to the proper depth. Looks like you used about the same amount of threaded material left over. About 2 1/2 threads. Here's a pic for details and sbows the three most common Surefire E series clickies as well.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like your setup has gone through a few filings :)

Wow. This is weird. I had just got done building a fixture last weekend and taking pic's to create something similar to what you just posted. Great minds huh? There is a tutorial of this mod here on CPF but its old and all of the pic links have died so its descriptions without any visual reference. I had it bookmarked but just deleted it as I had planned a write up like yours.

As mentioned I made a holding fixture out of 1/4" think aluminum. Nothing but screw it in and file away. I used a lock washer pressed in from one side and set it to the proper depth. Looks like you used about the same amount of threaded material left over. About 2 1/2 threads. Here's a pic for details and sbows the three most common Surefire E series clickies as well.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened

Nice tutorial.

Quick question though - I know the McClicky switches have a great reputation around here. But why do this mod? Is the stock Surefire switch considered unreliable? Or is it simply for the lighter press? I have noticed that my E2DL switch is much harder to activate when compared to my MDC. Thumb gets tired.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the McClicky can handle higher currents. I've had a dead short totally fry the surefire switches but the McClicky was still functional.

m4a1usr

Enlightened

You are absolutely correct sir! Decided to "rebuild" a batch of users in the EDC collection after having a recent failure in one. I didn't think I'd ever see one since the SF clickies don't have a high failure rate. I guess everything fails at some point.

I love your mod post mk2rocco. It's now bookmarked replacing the original one now defunct! Not sure if you saw the McClicky tear down post in McGizmo mods forum but I think it might be alright to post it here since it might be relevant to a newbie just getting edjumacated. If that's alright? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...icky-Switch-disassembly&p=4840001#post4840001

bartko09

Enlightened
Yes, the McClicky can handle higher currents. I've had a dead short totally fry the surefire switches but the McClicky was still functional.

I've had a dead short fry a mcclicky and then I've also measured currents as high as 18-19 Amps which the McClicky stood up to. They're probably like everything else in china; depends on the day of the week it's made lol

skillet

Enlightened
Old boot can be reused after the switch is replaced.

I was wondering if it had to be used? Will it only work with old boot or can a new 14mm replacement be used?

I have a couple of E-series tail caps that need new switches and boots. So I need to source replacement boots as well. I have McClickies on the way as of this AM.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if it had to be used? Will it only work with old boot or can a new 14mm replacement be used?

I have a couple of E-series tail caps that need new switches and boots. So I need to source replacement boots as well. I have McClickies on the way as of this AM.

The finished picture of the tailcap is with a hardpress boot. Because factory boot is taller it's a little weird using it with a McClicky, you have too much dead space before engaging the switch.

Edit: It's not an issue with the factory boot, I just prefer a McClicky boot.

Last edited:

warubozu

Newly Enlightened
What did you use to remove the plastic retaining ring on the back of the Z61 tailcap and did you have to apply heat to the cap in order to loosen the ring? This is my first attempt a disassembling a Z61 tailcap and don't to mess it up.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did you use to remove the plastic retaining ring on the back of the Z61 tailcap and did you have to apply heat to the cap in order to loosen the ring? This is my first attempt a disassembling a Z61 tailcap and don't to mess it up.
Some are stubborn, heat may work. I haven't had to do that so far though.

warubozu

Newly Enlightened
Some are stubborn, heat may work. I haven't had to do that so far though.

Thanks for the tip, what did you use to insert into the two notches of the retaining ring to twist it loose? Someone mentioned to me pair tweezers or the ends of a snap ring plier works.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip, what did you use to insert into the two notches of the retaining ring to twist it loose? Someone mentioned to me pair tweezers or the ends of a snap ring plier works.

Needle nose pliers work just fine. Snap ring pliers have rounded/ circular extensions where as needle nose pliers are only rounded on the outer surface/ flat on the inner. The will fit better down into the square cut retainer ring.

warubozu

Newly Enlightened
Needle nose pliers work just fine. Snap ring pliers have rounded/ circular extensions where as needle nose pliers are only rounded on the outer surface/ flat on the inner. The will fit better down into the square cut retainer ring.

Thanks again for the suggestion, just have to go and buy a set of thin needle nose pliers. By the way, this is an awesome how to thread.