Thrunite TN4A recommendation for camping?

novasquid

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, I decided to pick up my first serious led flashlight and have settled on the Thrunite tn4a. It'll be used primarily while camping. I'm undecided between the xp-l neutral white and the newer HI cool white. I'm impressed with the distance of the HI, but wondering if a wider beam is preferable in the woods?

I've read a few threads so far about the two models and still confused/undecided. Any insight or suggestion is appreciated. I have an order with amazon for the HI model, but seriously reconsidering the xp-l cool white for my camping needs.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Not that this will help (hopefully someone with a stronger opinion will come along soon), but I have all three, and I like them all to the point that I don't know which one I'd pick if I had to select just one. The best I can say is that I think you will be well served with any of the three. The flood on the HI version is about as large as the regular. The hotspot on the HI is significantly smaller and brighter, but should throw further. The neutral white renders colors nicely, but the regular cool white is somewhat warm in color too, so it's not bad in that respect either. Both of the regular versions throw plenty good for most tasks IMO. I guess as I type this, if I were going to choose one for general camping tasks where max throw was not of primary concern, I'd probably choose the neutral white TN4A.

And let me just say, "thank you" for this therapy session. I think I feel better now.:eek:

Last edited:

novasquid

Newly Enlightened
I just cancelled the HI order and placed another one for the NW. the throw on the HI is impressive but probably overkill for the woods while camping.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always make a thrower into a flooder with a bit of diffusion

novasquid

Newly Enlightened
is there a diffuser that fits the tn4a? I know about the diy option but wondering about an oem one.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a tn4a yet but I got a silicon diffuser from fast tech that fits the d40a. Just had to check the bezel size

DPRoberts

Newly Enlightened
I just got a diffuser for my TN4A. I looked around for a while & couldn't find one I liked until I stumbled across this on one of the german taschenlampen forums:

http://www.xenoled.com/en/Parts/27/p27.html

I don't speak German, but Google translate seemed to indicate that people generally liked the diffuser. It just arrived a few days ago, & I'm fairly happy with it. It doesn't fit tightly - it just sits over the light. You couldn't possibly use it as a traffic cone or anything, it would fall right off. However, I just wanted to use it as a table lamp for camping, power outages, etc., and it will work fine for that. It also covers about half of the power button, if that matters. It's quite thick and appears to be of very good quality - I've not tried it for too long, but I have no fears that it will melt or anything.

Xeno lists it as having multiple features - for example, they say it's a wrench or "lens removal tool", which I guess would work if you had a problem removing the bezel on a different flashlight. They made such a big deal about its wrench-iness that I thought it might have some kind of metal ring around the bottom, but it's all smooth PVC (or similar). They also state that you could use it as a cup in "extreme environments"; the instruction sheet even lists its capacity as such. So, there's that.

novasquid

Newly Enlightened
the NW version of the TN4A arrived, and i guess i'm in the minority that does not prefer the neutral white, which on the TN4A is more of a yellowish warm white. it's hard to describe why i didn't like it, except to say that compared to all my indoor lighting it had a definite yellowish color that i didn't like. i decided to order the cool white version, and on top of that, the HI version. i hope to take all 3 out to a pitch dark field to test them out in the outdoors. maybe my impression of the NW will change outdoors, but it's such a yellowish color that doesn't appeal to me that i don't see how. anyway, that's my little short review of the NW TN4A. :)

novasquid

Newly Enlightened
after a few more hours of testing all 3 TN4A lights (neutral, cool, hi) indoors and outdoors, the neutral has grown on me to become my favorite. as others and I have mentioned, it's much more of a warm white that's so much easier on the eyes when in the pitch dark outdoors. the best comparison I can make is outdoor sunlight on a very cloudy day a few hours before sunset, and the NW light just seems to blend in. my least favorite is the HI for camping use, the spot is just too focused.

Latest posts