Post Your Flashlight Hacks

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
This is a thread where you can post pictures of all your flashlight hacks. There are many things you can do with flashlights to make things interesting. This is a trick I learned on how to turn a standard flashlight into a lantern. This is a great thing when you want to lightup a whole area like if you were in a cave for example. Or, if you just want a cheap light saber so you can fight against the empire. :D

IMG_1853_zps9paf0drh.jpg

IMG_1858_zpsdnabkmkx.jpg

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
Parabolic reflectors, work in te opposite too. I used one to start a fire once. I was 12 and thought about it a little, took one out ofthe cheap spotlight on a summer day, and started a fire. Next time someone asks if my flashlight can start a fire, how I'll respond.

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
So that beggs the question, can you start a camp fire with a parabolic reflector? So if anyone was lost in the wilderness and had to stay alive, could your flashlight literally start a camp fire to survive the cold night and cook food? Well, I recently saw a video that had a guy with a modded maglight who started newspaper on fire with it, so I guess it is indeed possible.

If anyone has ever watched the show Bear Grills, he takes us adventures all over the world out in the wilderness to teach us how to survive. I never saw a quality flashlight in his arsonal, just some wimpy dim tiny light he probably bought at the local brick and morter store lol.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
As long as you start it in the day, and you flashlight optics or reflector is easy to take off. Another option with lithium batteries is to slice them open. Plenty of fire!

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
Well, I wasn't the one who started talking about fire in here. I am the one that started the thread and I was talking about flashlight hacks, I did a temporary one as you can see to turn a flashlight into a lantern kind of deal. ;)

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use marine heat shrink tubing to permanently secure a clip to a light. If you're running the light really hot, the tubing may soften, but it'll harden back same as before when it cools.
If you don't routinely run your light hot enough to
melt thermo plastic, this trick will give you a permanent fix for insecure clip on pocket clips.

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
Use marine heat shrink tubing to permanently secure a clip to a light. If you're running the light really hot, the tubing may soften, but it'll harden back same as before when it cools.
If you don't routinely run your light hot enough to
melt thermo plastic, this trick will give you a permanent fix for insecure clip on pocket clips.

WOW EH4, awesome tip man, appreciate it! :)

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bet, glad you like it.
I'll add that if you put a slit in the tubing and work the clip through before sliding them both on, there's no way for the clip to pop up or down from the tubing, also it can be carefully stretched beforehand -for instance this 3/4" tubing locking an ZL H502 clip to a ZL H600, had to be stretched to install.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAG58/RLSdGXwO3po/s1600/20150804_013629.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...qJpJbK48o9I/s1600/2016-02-22%252003.10.14.jpg