Fire Hazard from Flashlight?

azure5

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Pretty new to flashlights here. I just recently bought a Zebralight SC600 Mk II L2 and I'm very happy with it. My question is as follows; recently I left it on in my pocket of a pair of pants that I wasn't wearing. It was LITERALLY on the lowest setting, I think like half a lumen or something, but even so it was EXTREMELY hot when I discovered it. It probably was an hour or two, but the battery can support that level for months. Just wondering if there is any fire hazard in such a situation? Thanks

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running a lithium ion flashlight unattended can be a potential fire hazard.

Running extremely hot unaware: Can be a potential fire hazard.

I try to keep things that can become hot away from stuff that can burn, if made hot enough.

Fail to do so: That leaves burns on my body and my clothes, on occasions when my lights had accidental power-on.

Well, at least my mind is safe.

:welcome:

PROTOOLNUT

Newly Enlightened
Look, I may not be an expert on flashlights yet but let me tell you what I know. CREE emitters heat up, its the nature of the beast. A quality design flashlight uses a heatsink to dissipate the heat. But when you are storing it inside your pocket running against your body, it is not able to get rid of the heat. Furthermore your body heat compounds the problem even worse.

And regarding lithium batteries, its normal that they feel warm after the flashlight has been running for awhile, although they should not feel burning hot, that is a sign of a problem. More likely due to the use of NON-protected battery cells.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
I would consult manufacturer and dispose of batteries. Consult both flashlight manufacturer and battery. Probably get replaced for free.
Hi,

Pretty new to flashlights here. I just recently bought a Zebralight SC600 Mk II L2 and I'm very happy with it. My question is as follows; recently I left it on in my pocket of a pair of pants that I wasn't wearing. It was LITERALLY on the lowest setting, I think like half a lumen or something, but even so it was EXTREMELY hot when I discovered it. It probably was an hour or two, but the battery can support that level for months. Just wondering if there is any fire hazard in such a situation? Thanks

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your hand works as a fairly good heat sink if you are holding it from the gitgo, pants not so much. If it gets too hot holding it turn it off for a while.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

If it was on the moonlight mode, that indicates a problem. Shouldn't even be able to feel the heat when running in sub-lumen mode. Check that cell very carefully, something is shorting to generate that much heat.

wildcatter

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Hot,,, can be very subjective from one person to another. Especially if you are new to the type of lights you are referring to. I can see how one would think HOT compared to an older led without cree technology or a old tungsten light. but to be certain I would check it with an IR thermometer and give a better description of what you consider hot. Remember 140* water supply will scald you, But in an enclosed inside a pants pocket for 2 hours, 80 or 90* feels pretty warm, but I wouldn't consider it hot?? still not a good place to store your light!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If it was on the moonlight mode, that indicates a problem. Shouldn't even be able to feel the heat when running in sub-lumen mode. Check that cell very carefully, something is shorting to generate that much heat.

This!!!
That light should run nice n cool in firefly mode.

Not to say heat won't eventually build up when left on in a confined space.... for hours and hours, not one or two.

Have it checked.

I just did a run time of a light bezel down so heat would back up into the light as a comparison to runtime with keeping it cool.
After 9 hours the 10 lumen Nichia emitter had only gotten the outside of the light to 78°F

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
My everyday carry lights are ZebraLight SC600 Mk 3 and SC32 and both are kept in my pockets locked out by turning the tail cap a fraction of an inch.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you leave any flashlight in your pocket, especially for a longer period of time, the metal will definitely heat up - simply because of your body heat building up in such a small place. Because it was on moonlight mode, I am also assuming that such is the case; on moonlight mode there should be absolutely no heat. Maybe if you can describe the conditions/what you doing previous to taking it out? That could explain a lot.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Was that the setting you last used it on? Or did it spend most of that time on a much higher setting where it then ramped down due to thermal protection?