Simple krypton-bulb Maglite-mod with nimh rechargeables

Incand-Collector

Newly Enlightened
Update: Statements later proven to be wrong are marked in red.
Hi,

after I bought an incand MagCharger (discontinued AFAIK) recently, I have been thinking about
ways to mod standard incandescent Maglites without having to
order special parts from China.
All parts used should be readily available in the US and Europe.
(So no glass lenses, metal reflectors etc.)
The goal is to have a light run by rechargeables with relatively steady brightness
for about an hour or two.
Basically a cheaper but slightly dimmer and bigger MagCharger without a charging cradle.

This is what I have been experimenting with so far:

A 5-Cell White Star Krypton bulb with 6 Eneloops in AA to D adapters
inside a 6 D body.
The cells were rested for at least a week and were run with a 6D bulb
for a few minutes first.
Result: Bright white light, but dimmer than a 6D with Magnum Star II Xenon
bulb on fresh alkalines.
Later it dimmed down to just under the brightness of a 5D on fresh alkalines.
This is good as I expect this configuration to give at least one hour of relatively
stable brightness.
Better than the standard alkaline configuration which dims to 50% during the
first 20-30 minutes. Also see this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?75317-Battery-Life-of-Maglite-2D-and-3D
With the 6D krypton bulb on 6 Nimh AAs, the brightness compared to alkalines that have already been used
for some time.
Unfortunately, the White Star Krypton bulbs have been discontinued and alternative krypton
bulbs are hard to come by.

A 3-Cell White Star Krypton bulb with 4 Eneloops in AA to D adapters
inside a 4 D body is the second test configuration.
It performs well compared to the 6D setup, being dimmer.

Both bulbs seem to run at the 90%-brightness of alkaline-driven
lights with the right number of cells after some time.
So the additional cell does not cause a huge overdrive
all the time.
It is rather like the nimh powered lights would run on fresh alkalines for most of
their runtime (at the expense of bulb life, of course.)

I have been searching the forum for info on softstart circuits.
The NTC SL12 1R010 seems to have too much resistance when used with
a 0,75 A to 0,85 A bulbs.
I may be wrong on this, having basically no clue about more complex electricity.

Is there an easy solution to limit the inrush current of freshly charged cells
with readily available parts?
Maybe even a homebrewn "resistor-washer" out of tinfoil and pencil-rubbed paper between the
battery and tailcap spring? :D

I consider this rechargeable setup with an overdriven krypton bulb to be practical,
especially the 3D bulb in 4D body on 4 nimh version as 3,6V 0,75A bulbs are readily available
from other manufacturers.
My only concern is the inrush current on the cold filament on start-up, which may
be the cause of a :poof:.

----------
Update 1: 02-22-2016 just :poof: ed the first bulb when turning on the light.
It was a 3-cell bulb in a 4D body with 4 AA 2600 mah rechargeables in AA to D adapters.
The bulb worked fine with these cells before, but after 24 hours of resting the cold
filament obviously couldn't stand the inrush current.
Runtime less than 1 hour overall. Not impressed.:fail:
I consider this setup as unreliable now, as I had similar results with even shorter runtime with alkalines before.

The 5-cell bulb in the 6D body with 6 1900 mah eneloops is still working.
Higher rated bulbs seem to handle overdrive better.
----------
Update 2: 02-26-2016 Testing another setup:
6-cell White Star Krypton bulb in 6D-body with 7 AA 1900 mah eneloops in AA to C adapters.
Cardboard tube as spacer for the smaller diameter, aluminium foil "coin" with roughly 1/3 inch thickness for better contact
between battery and tailcap spring.
Brightness comparable to 6 fresh D alkalines, slight overdrive.
Update 3: 03-08-2016 The bulb blackened considerably with not that much use (approx. 1 hour).

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened
Good information here. Another favorite of mine is a super simple 2D mod. 2 x NiMh D cells (highest capacity you can find) and the Reflectalite GH88 bulb (2.2V, 1.9A, 38 Lumens). With this mod the stock reflector works really well and the 4+ hour runtime is very useful.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
The goal is to have a light run by rechargeables with relatively steady brightness
for about an hour or two.
Basically a cheaper but slightly dimmer and bigger MagCharger without a charging cradle.
Aluminum reflector, bi-pin socket and hi temp glasses are available in US. Check custom B/S/T section of this forum.
Why krypton bulb while you can get much cheaper, brighter and longer life G4 halogen 6 volt, 20 watt with ~2000 hours bulb life powered up with pair of 26670 in 2D M*g.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1...BaseShopping&gclid=COSMkaj9jMsCFYsAaQodybAEZw
Even if you consider it as 4 Amps bulb, still will run more than an hour using 5200mAh batteries and $1~$2 bulb will last much longer than any krypton. No need to mention much brighter than M*gCharger bulb.
There are lower output bulb such as 10 or even 5 watts which will run longer per charge.

Incand-Collector

Newly Enlightened
@fivemega
Thank you for your suggestions. I didn't mention that I'm based in Europe.
I generally work with parts available in my country and its neighbors.

--------------------
Update 3:

Friday night, I :poof: ed a 6V 0,975A Xenon bulb in a 5D-Cell Mag with 5 x 1900 mah eneloops in AA to D
adapters. It worked well until I recharged the cells, this let to its demise.
It was most likely no Philips HPX 53.
The bulb was only marked with Xenon and V / A ratings and came loosely packed
in a plastic bag.
The Philips bulb can take some overdrive, as I read here.

I have experimented with a new setup and measured
according to:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?186405-REALLY-Simple-Guide-To-Figuring-Out-Voltage-In-Maglite

6 x 2100mah nimh in 3AA to D serial adapters in a Mag 2D body.
6D White Star Krypton bulb rated 7,2V.
VBat = 7,74
Amps = 0,8
VBulb = 6,81
The voltage difference of 0,93 and 0,8 Amp resulting in a resistance of 1,165 Ohms.

Then I measured a 6D bulb in a 6D body with 6 fresh D-alkalines-
VBulb = 8,2
VBat = 9,47

The next values were obtained with a 6D bulb in a 6 D body with 7 x 1900 mah eneloops:
VBulb = 8,2
VBat = 9,1

Well, what is this supposed to tell us?
When a 6-Cell bulb is driven with 7 x 1900 mah eneloops
the voltage under load equals the voltage archieved with fresh alkalines almost exactily.
As the voltage of the rechargeable cells doesn't drop so much over the runtime, the bulb is under
a lot of stress.
The bulb blackened considerably since i run this setup and I guess, that its service life will be much shorter.
How much shorter is not sure yet, the bulb was used occasionally in the last five years with alkalines.
The blackening started after the 7 nimh experiment.
A conservative guess would be 3 - 5 hours with 7 nimhs if you're lucky.

I have conducted tests (without measuring) with a 5-Cell bulb also.
When running the 5-Cell bulb on 6 nimhs (2100mah), the light is so white tinted,
that i fear it goes :poof: very soon.
It is only slightly yellower tinted than my MagCharger (240lm model) but not reaching the Chargers brightness.
I compared this setup to a 5D Mag with 5 fresh alkalines: The 5D bulb / 6 nimh light is a bit whiter.
For me it's very close to :poof: - white, so its not reliable.
When driving the 5-Cell bulb with 5 nimhs, the light is yellower than with alkalines, of course.

My overall conclusion is that for a reliable setup it might be better to accept the yellower tint and less output
when using the specified number of cells.
The :poof: after recharging will be more likely when the bulb is driven by spec + 1 cell.
I lost a 3-Cell Krypton bulb in a 4D light with 4 nimhs after recharging. (Update 1 in opening post)
There are reports on bulbs around here which have lasted for years with rechargeables in different configurations though.

There is one question that came to my mind:
Is underdriving the 6-Cell bulb with 6,81 V (0,4V below spec)
shortening its lifetime?
If this would be the case, one can't do it right with nimhs at all.
There would be either constant overdrive or constant underdrive killing the bulb faster.
That Mag rules out rechargeables on the bulbs packaging would become understandable from this
point of view.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I realize this goes against the MagCharger without cradle idea....

But I'm getting good life from Rayovac alkalines in a 4C using a 3 cell krypton. And it's noticeably brighter than the 4 cell xenon.

Just sayin' if you have some 3 cell kryptons left 4C's don't make them go poof.

scout24

Flashaholic
Fivemega- Any higher wattage suggestions that will run on that same pair of cells?
Aluminum reflector, bi-pin socket and hi temp glasses are available in US. Check custom B/S/T section of this forum.
Why krypton bulb while you can get much cheaper, brighter and longer life G4 halogen 6 volt, 20 watt with ~2000 hours bulb life powered up with pair of 26670 in 2D M*g.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1...BaseShopping&gclid=COSMkaj9jMsCFYsAaQodybAEZw
Even if you consider it as 4 Amps bulb, still will run more than an hour using 5200mAh batteries and $1~$2 bulb will last much longer than any krypton. No need to mention much brighter than M*gCharger bulb.
There are lower output bulb such as 10 or even 5 watts which will run longer per charge.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fivemega- Any higher wattage suggestions that will run on that same pair of cells?
G4 Philips 5761 and Osram 64275 are higher wattage but severely overdriven by pair of IMRs unless recharged to ~4.1 volts each and/or soft start used.
For PR base flashlights, Pelican 3853 HO is good option.

wensynch

Newly Enlightened
^ Does that 2-pin bulb come in socket form also? I checked the site but don't think it there. Then again I don't know what it looks like. TIA.

scout24

Flashaholic
Fivemega- At your recommendation, I bought some of those bulbs, and a sleeve for a pair of 18650 IMR cells. Also picked up your G4 socket. This is a nice bright floody setup in my 2D, I'm waiting for light OP reflectors to show up, which should help the beam. No hope for the stock reflector, it started bubbling at the base inside of 5 minutes of run time. There are some beam artifacts, but with the filament sitting sideways I expected that. I'll report back when my reflectors get here. Thanks for the tip!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Based on the original idea here of using a stock platform, parts and pieces, I found that in a 2C body a pair of 1amp LIFEPO 18500's (for solar lamps) with a thin wall 19mm (3/4" for gas piping) pvc adapter sleeve and a 4 cell bi-pin magstar xenon will give an output very similar to the 177 lumen output of Maglites new ML25 LED light without adversely affecting said stock parts and pieces.

Realizing that is not a whopping output, it certainly gives a low cost option to increasing the stock 40 or so lumens about 400% with no modifications.
I clipped about 1-1/3 coils off of the stock spring so that it would be much easier to screw the tail cap back on.

The 2C after about an hour of use.

An hour of using 2x 1amp18650's and a TL3 bulb in a 3C.

The 2C with 18500's
3C with TL3 bulb and 18650's is similar.

The 177 lumen Mag ML25.

The garage in the distance is 100 yards away.

Total cost of the 2C mod was around $10 US for batteries and $3-4 for the readily available 4C/D magstar..
The 3C was a bit more because the batteries run higher and a TL3 bulb runs $6-7.

The 2C mod is just as bright as the 3C mod yet runs cooler and whiter than the under driven TL3 bulb.

The key was the 1amp batteries that do not surge on start up like higher output cells.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize this goes against the MagCharger without cradle idea....

But I'm getting good life from Rayovac alkalines in a 4C using a 3 cell krypton. And it's noticeably brighter than the 4 cell xenon.

Just sayin' if you have some 3 cell kryptons left 4C's don't make them go poof.
I'm really liking the 3 cell krypton on 4 nimh AA. Should be putting out the same output as a LF ES-6 but in the much larger smooth reflector is looks quite a bit brighter

Last edited: