Homemade battery-less super capacitor crank light

DaveC1964

Newly Enlightened
Here is a compact light that runs off of super capacitors. Since there are no batteries you need not worry about corroded alkalines or Li-Ions that have drained to low and can't be used (or take a long time to charge). It is always ready, roughly every second of cranking gives a minute of light. Max run time on this one is 1/2 hour but since it charges again so fast it is no big deal. It isn't going to win any brightness contests with the 3 Cree 5mm LEDs but that is the tradeoff and it is completely functional. The crank-LED electronics inside are from the "Laserhacker" website. I just designed the casing and had it 3D printed. It is much better than those shaker "Jag-lights".

tbQYMfv.jpg

ErUSK5M.jpg

nVdN6Q0.jpg

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never mind, 3D printed. Nice job

Going to make more?

Last edited:

DaveC1964

Newly Enlightened
Never mind, 3D printed. Nice job

Going to make more?

Thanks for the comment. I had this 3D printed by a service, I don't own one unfortunately. It is laser sintered nylon. Because of that it was kind of expensive to have made so I probably wouldn't make more. Maybe someday when/if 3D printing gets more reasonable I might.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comment. I had this 3D printed by a service, I don't own one unfortunately. It is laser sintered nylon. Because of that it was kind of expensive to have made so I probably wouldn't make more. Maybe someday when/if 3D printing gets more reasonable I might.

I know what you mean. The service I like to use is $20 just for shipping