Blackwater Kite vs CooYoo vs MecArmy?

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened
These lights are all nearly identical to the CooYoo Quantum. My question: does anyone know if they are of the same quality? I would guess they're from the same factory. They all come in similar metals too: titanium, stainless, aluminum, etc. The Kite accepts the glow in the dark vial and the stainless stands up whereas with the others only the Titanium will stand.

201512181158193900.jpg

201511171117521585.jpg

201508131126208937.jpg

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
These lights are all nearly identical to the CooYoo Quantum. My question: does anyone know if they are of the same quality? I would guess they're from the same factory. They all come in similar metals too: titanium, stainless, aluminum, etc. The Kite accepts the glow in the dark vial and the stainless stands up whereas with the others only the Titanium will stand.

The aluminum and brass MecArmy lights will tail stand. Those are the only two that I own so I can't speak to the others.

The other light to throw into this discussion is the JetBeam Mini which can also tail stand by the way.

Quality wise I would say that the it is a tie between the MecArmy aluminum and the JetBeam Mini. Both are real solid. The MecArmy brass is nice but there is some play in the head. Like the threads are not tight enough. Not a big deal I like all three lights.

I bought the aluminum MecArmy first because it was cheap and close by. I've not regretted it.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
I know Mecarmy and Cooyoo are from the same parent company, Altun. Mecarmy is the US/Western brand, Cooyoo is for China. Judging from the looks, Blackwater is another Altun brand. Maybe they thought it sounded better than Cooyoo?

tjdean01

Newly Enlightened
I just learned from the other thread that the stainless is the hardest to get deep scratches unlike the titanium. And no aluminum ones tailstand. Someone said the Mecarmy will but im seeing that it wont. Stainless is 6g heavier but he Blavkwater SS will tailstand. That might be the one to get if quality is there.

Last edited:

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
The MecArmy Aluminum will tailstand. At least mine will...