Gearbest        
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: **Team CandlePowerForums** for SETI@home !

Flashaholic

Default Re: Announcing **Team CandlePowerForums** for SETI@home !

Yesterday it was 95* outside and 101* in the shed, according to my new digital thermometer. The fx6300 (ID: 8201708) was running 145* with the cpu and gpu just a couple of degrees apart. Not too bad says I. Then i laid my hand on the case it was quite warm and as i slid it back to where the top mounted power supply was it became painful to hold it there. That's Hot! I admit to being a little worried by that but carried on anyway hoping the fire would be brief.

Still Crunching.

Someone got a new medal. Nice A.D

I'm a 1%er again! Well, at least as far as SETI@home is concerned.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric Darconville View Post
    I'm a 1%er again! Well, at least as far as SETI@home is concerned.
    Congrats!

Default Re: **Team CandlePowerForums** for SETI@home !

And whill44 is in the 1% club as well!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by millguy View Post
    And whill44 is in the 1% club as well!

Thanks, I'm finely able to run the main computer now that it's cooled down.

Flashaholic

I can see millguy has come up golden. Congratulation.

Quote Originally Posted by whill44 View Post
    Thanks, I'm finely able to run the main computer now that it's cooled down.
    How do those three GTX1050s work out for you? Looks like they'd crush a lone GTX 970. Maybe someday I'll get a 1070 or up to a 1080 Ti.

Flashaholic

How do those three GTX1050s work out for you? Looks like they'd crush a lone GTX 970. Maybe someday I'll get a 1070 or up to a 1080 Ti.

Actually seti is wrong about the cards. I have a gtx1050 (2gig dual slot), gtx750ti (2gig dual slot) and a gt710 (2gig single slot) installed in this case. I don't know why it says 3 1050s. However based on what I'm seeing the gtx1050 is the best bang for the buck, you get great work flow for the amount of dollars (cost and electricity) spent. I will be replacing the 750ti with a 1050 if it ever goes out on me. I've just ordered a gtx1030 single slot to replace the 710 it'll be my Christmas present, we'll see how it does. I believe the 1050ti 4gig is better for gaming and whatnot but the 1050 is cheaper and has a higher clock rate for seti use. If i were using this machine as my daily driver I might would be saving up for a 1070 or even the 1080 but seti is all it does so I trying to keep the costs to a minimum.

Flashaholic

After thinking about your post I got to wondering about the GTX 970. I believed this card to be very powerful but had no real life usage to go by so I checked your stats and if I'm right about this, your i7 computer seems to be maintaining a 13000 avg credit with just this one video card. You CPU is helping somewhat but seemly not fully engaged also the Intel on board video is not involved. In a word Wow! My best system is using three video cards with the Intel on board and 6 of the 8 threads available on the i7 3rd gen CPU running 24/7 and the most it can do is maybe double your avg credit. Again Wow!

After thinking about your post I got to wondering about the GTX 970. I believed this card to be very powerful but had no real life usage to go by so I checked your stats and if I'm right about this, your i7 computer seems to be maintaining a 13000 avg credit with just this one video card. You CPU is helping somewhat but seemly not fully engaged also the Intel on board video is not involved. In a word Wow! My best system is using three video cards with the Intel on board and 6 of the 8 threads available on the i7 3rd gen CPU running 24/7 and the most it can do is maybe double your avg credit. Again Wow!
    The 1050 is strangely slower than the 970 (those 30/50/60/70/80s variations really make a difference) but you've got two other cards, so that might tend to even it out a bit, or even put you slightly ahead. I had someone telling me I should upgrade from the 970 to the 1060 (it does have more RAM and is just slightly faster) but I'm going to stay with the same x0 or higher each time (like from 970 to 1070 or 1080).
    Although going from a 710 to a 1030 that would be a tremendous leap, I'd probably take it up to a 1050 instead.

What I'd like to find is a PCI-e x8, small form factor GTX 1030. That'd be really nice in my IBM x3650! It's got a PCIe x8 GT 730 right now. I should crank it back up to keep the shed a little warmer

I almost wonder if using the CPUs slows things down. They certainly don't do much themselves, and it may reduce the frequency at which it stages more work for the CUDA cores.

Not sure why it isn't using the Intel GPU, though. Probably that wouldn't be wise because that would probably heat things up a bit. I'll let the CUDA cores do the heavy lifting. The i7-6700K is great, for sure, and the system is pretty darn snappy, but this type of computation is so much easier for a real GPU.
    Last edited by Alaric Darconville; 12-21-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Flashaholic

The 1050 is strangely slower than the 970 (those 30/50/60/70/80s variations really make a difference) but you've got two other cards, so that might tend to even it out a bit, or even put you slightly ahead. I had someone telling me I should upgrade from the 970 to the 1060 (it does have more RAM and is just slightly faster) but I'm going to stay with the same x0 or higher each time (like from 970 to 1070 or 1080).
    Although going from a 710 to a 1030 that would be a tremendous leap, I'd probably take it up to a 1050 instead.
    The 970 is most definitely more powerful than a 1050 but the cost to purchase even used is still high. I remember thinking I didn't have the (hobby)money to spend on a single high end card but i could buy cheaper as the money became available and make it up in bulk. Looking back it's about as long as it is wide but made sense at the time . The reason for using a 1030 is because of the motherboard design I can only use a single slot card in the third position.

I almost wonder if using the CPUs slows things down. They certainly don't do much themselves, and it may reduce the frequency at which it stages more work for the CUDA cores.
    There's a lot of discussion on that topic. The rule of thumb is if you have more than one GPU you should assign one CPU core per card. But this is only a theory.

Not sure why it isn't using the Intel GPU, though. Probably that wouldn't be wise because that would probably heat things up a bit. I'll let the CUDA cores do the heavy lifting. The i7-6700K is great, for sure, and the system is pretty darn snappy, but this type of computation is so much easier for a real GPU.
    I agree with you about the speed of GPU's over the CPU completely. How much heat the system should endure and the possible long term damage it can cause is something that only you the owner can determine. I was surprised how much bad advice is available about setups from people who swear you should do so and so, only to find in later posts about how some expensive part failed and it was't anything they did.

My ancient MacBooks are but a single grain on the beach but I still get a kick out of participating.

U guys are killing it

️ CPF!

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    My ancient MacBooks are but a single grain on the beach but I still get a kick out of participating.
    I added my Raspberry Pi3 (using a single core at 75% usage, since even with the heatsink it warms up a little too much with 50% CPUs used. Sure, I could try using two cores and lowering the CPU duty cycle, and maybe that would help eke out a little more overall Seti@home performance). Maybe I could put in a tiny case fan!

This is the tiniest piece of silicon dust next to your grains of sand.
    Last edited by Alaric Darconville; 01-29-2018 at 11:24 AM.

I added my Raspberry Pi3 (using a single core at 75% usage, since even with the heatsink it warms up a little too much with 50% CPUs used. Sure, I could try using two cores and lowering the CPU duty cycle, and maybe that would help eke out a little more overall Seti@home performance). Maybe I could put in a tiny case fan!

Credits are credits!!

Maybe SETI credit is the next bit coin?!

Heh

Itís fun using laptops to heat my recording studio in winter - not as effective as all of the tube amps tho...

Flashaholic

After reading your post I realized I still had my pi3 setting on the shelf after it started crashing last year while running seti. After a good look I believe the little buzz saw fan I was using is bad and hope that is the only problem. I'm wanting to run all 4 cores like before but a cooling solution has to be found. After studying the problem I noticed my main seti computer has a top exhaust fan blowing out warm air, now that's not ideal but I believe good air flow is what's important. I've fashioned some standoff's using some screws and parts so it can't short against the steel case and it seems to be running fine. It's reading the temps at 75c or 167* degrees using all 4 cores we'll see how it goes.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    Credits are credits!!

Maybe SETI credit is the next bit coin?!

Heh Itís fun using laptops to heat my recording studio in winter - not as effective as all of the tube amps tho...

Man, wouldn't be great to get some form of payment for this!!!
    Last edited by whill44; 01-31-2018 at 05:59 PM.

It's reading the temps at 75c or 167* degrees using all 4 cores we'll see how it goes.
    I was hitting 81c with two cores, but I just have the tiny little heatsinks, one for each the CPU and the WiFi chip. Bedroom's been staying really cool this winter, too, so it hitting 81C in a 13C room (177F in a 55F room) means WOW that really strains the processor. It's not overclocked, either.

Flashaholic

I was hitting 81c with two cores, but I just have the tiny little heatsinks, one for each the CPU and the WiFi chip. Bedroom's been staying really cool this winter, too, so it hitting 81C in a 13C room (177F in a 55F room) means WOW that really strains the processor. It's not overclocked, either.
    That seems pretty hot for just 2 cores. Last year I had a pi3 running seti on all 4 cores for several months using the little heat sinks and a case with a small fan on it. It did just fine until late in the summer when it would randomly lock up. The little fan was definitely bad. As I posted earlier I tried running it on top of my computer case fan to cool it and all seemed well but then it started to throw errors on the 4th core. I'm starting to wonder if the seti work units have changed in some way to make it harder for the pi3 to run.

That seems pretty hot for just 2 cores. Last year I had a pi3 running seti on all 4 cores for several months using the little heat sinks and a case with a small fan on it. It did just fine until late in the summer when it would randomly lock up. The little fan was definitely bad. As I posted earlier I tried running it on top of my computer case fan to cool it and all seemed well but then it started to throw errors on the 4th core. I'm starting to wonder if the seti work units have changed in some way to make it harder for the pi3 to run.
    It did seem a bit hot. It's in a clear plastic case with some semblance of airflow, but 81C, though... Maybe I've got a bad Pi or that case needs to go.

New month, new stats!
    I just broke the two million mark. ET is just days away now :-)

Have torch, will travel.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by DrafterDan View Post
    New month, new stats!
    I just broke the two million mark. ET is just days away now :-)
    Congratulations, and any day now would be fine with me.

Hi folks, long time no see, trying to get back up to speed w/ CPF.
    Have been running the old laptops, nothing of note on my end.
    Looks like the team is currently ranked @ ~279, it does appear that we've slipped a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Looks like the team is currently ranked @ ~279, it does appear that we've slipped a bit.
    Blame my electric bill for me slowing down

Flashaholic

Blame my electric bill for me slowing down

I will be following you shortly.

I started with SETI@Home with my 486-66, stopped in the Pentium II era because I did the math and figured out I was spending around $30/mo in electricity to leave the app running. Today's machines are obviously much more energy efficient; has anyone here with a <5 year old machine calculated the energy cost of 24/7 participation?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    I started with SETI@Home with my 486-66, stopped in the Pentium II era because I did the math and figured out I was spending around $30/mo in electricity to leave the app running. Today's machines are obviously much more energy efficient; has anyone here with a <5 year old machine calculated the energy cost of 24/7 participation?
    I'm running a AMD A10-7860K cpu with 3 Geforce GT1030 gpus. The cpu is rated at 65 watts max and I'm only using 2 cores leaving the other two for the computer and youtube watching. The 3 cards are rated at 35 watts each max. So far I'm maintaining 15000 to as high as 17200 rac depending on work type. Right now the house is 75*F and the computer ups reads 190watts. The powerchute software monitoring the ups says at 13cent per KWH it's costing me $20.69 per month. I would say that is petty close. To clarify I'm using the on chip video to watch youtube as the 1030's are to choppy to use while running seti. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    I have two of my laptops running S@H at work - which gets around the 'no other software' rule for work computers - so /that/ electricity is free, lol.

I have one of those 12V solar panels for keeping a car battery topped off-- I should kludge a quick and dirty solution to where it attempts to keep the batteries charged that power a Raspbery Pi...

I'm still plugging away, helping look for ET. Only in the 25% range, but I'm in it for the long haul!

Just cleared 3 million this week. I think it's cool

Have torch, will travel.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast