Better Surefire m3lt thrower? 800 or 1000 lumen?

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Looking into getting a Surefire m3lt, which one throws better as this is what I'm after, The 1000 lumen newer version or the 800/70 lumen older version?

thanks

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the newer version (1,000 lumen) has a different optic that produces more spill. So I would suspect you loose some throw due to that. But I don't know for sure.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I know from the UB3T the optic was changed during the time the light had only 800 Lumens Output. There are 800 Lumens Version with "old" and "new" optics. I assume it is the same with the M3LT.

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Thanks fellas, that is what I had read before as well so I went ahead and picked up the 800 lumen one that's in the marketplace right now..worked out a fair price I think, and I believe (hoping) the seller is correct that it is the more throwy optic/lens but I have no knowledge on which looks like which. There are a couple pics of it if anyone cares to share their thoughts.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks fellas, that is what I had read before as well so I went ahead and picked up the 800 lumen one that's in the marketplace right now..worked out a fair price I think, and I believe (hoping) the seller is correct that it is the more throwy optic/lens but I have no knowledge on which looks like which. There are a couple pics of it if anyone cares to share their thoughts.

I looked at the pics and it does look like the older and more throwy optic.

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Oh wow you can see right into it, good I am glad I got one of the old ones then! Should be here soon :) thanks for the info

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Thanks, and how do you tell the difference? I was coming up empty on my searches. I ended up snagging a strobe version as well as a standard (standards still on its way lol) but I've recieved the strobe version and it has the old style throwy lens but I don't know if it's 400 or 800 lumen. Seller says 800 but how do I know for sure? Mine has high/ low and strobe.

Last edited:

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Awesome!! That is good to know. Okay so I have six little slot/grooves as well as six fins. Thanks for the info Sean. It's greaty appreciated. Then I am assuming the 1000 lumen version has six fins as well but it's noticeably different by the clear lens and ability to see the led.

hopefully this thread helps others in my situation in the future :)

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome!! That is good to know. Okay so I have six little slot/grooves as well as six fins. Thanks for the info Sean. It's greaty appreciated. Then I am assuming the 1000 lumen version has six fins as well but it's noticeably different by the clear lens and ability to see the led.

hopefully this thread helps others in my situation in the future :)

The 1,000 lumen version also has 6 fins and says: KX9T-C or KX9T-C-S for strobe. And yes the optic is different (clear center) but I think some of the later 800 lumen M3LT's also had the new optic.

I've had 3 versions of the M3LT and one UB3T.

Last edited:

SpyderHS08

Enlightened
Sweet! Im going to have two here soon! I'll probably have to decide to sell one so I can replinish funds or possibly try out a ub3t or maybe another pocket knife :D the ub3t seems very cool but just a bit much for me to spend at the moment. And I am cool with just a high/low and strobe mode. I think the ub3t would be a "waste" for me. Not meaning it's not a great light I just don't need all of the functions it has to offer :)

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lower modes on the UB3T are nice but not overly practical. It's not like you are going to walk around with the UB3T set at 5 lumens all the time. It's a little big for that.