Update,,, Thrunite Neutron 2c v2, They have been listening!

wildcatter

Newly Enlightened
After looking at everything available for my needs about a month ago I bought a new Neutron 2c v2. There are a few thing's I never found mentioned in the reviews, and one thing every review mentioned it needed to have included with it. I bought it thinking I would be without a couple things that I wanted, but was sold on the 5 Lumen settings, along with how well each lumen setting fit my needs.

What they have updated the package with.

The most important thing to me was, why would any manufacturer leave a pocket clip off on a light of this type. Especially since I was going to use it most of the year as an EDC. I figured what the heck I would find a way to make one fit it,,, even if it meant drilling and tapping to adapt a fixed clip that would be held on the switchless tail cap.

Well guess what, as soon as I received the light, I pulled it out of the box, with the manual, the holster and the little bag with the lanyard and O-rings in it,,,,, oh well I knew this. So I naturally had my 18650 ready and thru it in for a test run. After seeing it met my approval, I wanted to see if it would fit the holster ar if everyone was right and it had to be used in the holster with single 123A's only. Well I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the holster to slide the light in and there it was,,,,,, I had a removable pocket clip inside my holster. The kind that clips on the light.

Now I am not saying that the other thing I noticed is changed, but I can carry this light in 18650 configuration in the holster. It would better if I had a 1/2" more flap to secure to the Velcro, but I can make it work. For me this was meaningless because I hate anything hanging on the outside of my belt, and was intending on using this in it's single 123A configuration 90% of the time anyways.

Power source not mentioned
I also could find no mention of any use of batteries besides the 18650 and 123A that it recommends. Well being curious, I purchased 5 18350 Xtra 850mah batteries and as soon as they came charged em up. The light works fine as an EDC with 123A's. But when using the 3.0v 123a for it's power source, you loose turbo mode. I found with an 18350 and it's 3.7v it has all the capability as using the 3.7v 18650,,,, just not the reserve mah to give the same run times. However, after testing mine, I established an approx. 2hr 50min. run time on Medium. This is constant run time, on till it flashes to warn a low battery, I found it would stay on but no longer had the ability to use turbo. Durring that 2hr 50min. I did keep periodically go to turbo mode to see that it would continue to function in all settings as it's voltage dropped. This is perfect for me as at 220 Lumens that's more than I will use most of the time. For EDC use I see low as my main setting, and Firefly as being used as much as high, maybe more!

Final words
I just wanted to fill in a couple issues I hadn't been aware of until I got mine, and that is Thrunite is listening, and is supplying the pocket clip that every reviewer I read complained about. The other main thing was the pleasant conclusion to an issue I was hoping would work and make this light work in all setting while setup in the single 123A size, using the 18350. I am happy tom say yes it does, with what I expected, just a shorter battery run time than the 18650's at double the size.

I am in no way an authority on these lights, or trying to give a review, as we have plenty here that are far better at that than I would ever be. I just hope this answers a couple questions that I could not find answers to when I was researching these lights for my wants and needs.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite Neutron 2C V2 is the only light I have ever returned because it was so utterly unusable. One of many reasons, is as an 18350 pocket edc, the accidental button activation on turbo was just too much. When I pulled the flashlight out of my pocket in the dark, I could not find the button without using another light. When I finally found the button and turned it on, the light was already drained from all the accidental activations. Switched to SC62w.

wildcatter

Newly Enlightened
In the past 6 weeks or so have not had a single instance where the light has accidentally turned on, but I can see how the pocket clip would vastly help eliminate that problem. As for accidentally activating the turbo mode, in any setting from off to high, the only way to activate turbo mode it requires a complete double click in less than 1 second, on that hard to find almost flush mounted switch which requires some pressure to activate?? As for running the battery dead you certainly don't use use a light often if it was dead in your pocket from being accidentally turned on as 18650 run times are one of the best lumen for lumen of any light manufactures offerings are. Even on Turbo thats over 1 hour,,, I would expect second degree burns from all that turbo activation. When the light is in a position where the switch would be held on, it is only taken to Firefly or moonlight mode, and that has around 90 days continuous run time. With a 2 year full replacement warranty for anything that goes wrong, I would have returned it, as what you are stating deafinetly would require a defective light.

Fluppeteer

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, I'm happy with mine. I use it in single 18350 mode (knowing if I'm in the middle of nowhere I could probably buy a CR123 in a supermarket). I keep it in the holster, in the pocket with my phone (which the holster stops the light from scratching). It does a pretty decent job of stopping the light activating, if I'm careful about orienting it in the holster; I've accidentally activated it when taking it out of my pocket a couple of times, but not while it was just in my pocket. I can see how it could happen if you carried it differently, though.

Agreed that the button isn't that easy to feel, though. I prefer the twist interface on my Ti3. But I like the lumens on the 18350 light!

wildcatter

Newly Enlightened
I keep the head slightly turned when carrying, and it is usually in a fanny pack or backpack as it is a work light not an EDC. I have the TN-12 also but for hunting the Neutron is the perfect light for me, I would not trade it for any light I have previously owned. It has the most useable low med high lumen settings for working situations, and seldom would I ever need turbo, but it's there if I do want it,,,, NICE. I love the lowest settings as I hate bright useless light that takes away your night vision when hunting,,, I hate advertising,,, HERE I AM!!! kinda defeats the purpose of being there.

I am so happy with these lights I have retired all my old lights and replaced everything in the past 4 months with various Thrunite lights, Ti5, Ti 10, Neutron 2A V2, Neutron 2C V2, TN-12 (2016), Tn-32, and Tn-36UT all but the 2A V2 is Neutral White. Since I use my lights and don't really play with them as to me they are all work lights, I doubt I have any need for any lights for a few years, my bases are well covered. All because originally I was so satisfied with the Neutron 2C V2,,

Last edited: