Chipped finish on LSL....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanghaied

Newly Enlightened
Just got a LSL the other day, love the flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The day after however, I discovered a little chipped paint the size of a head of a pin. Upon careful examination, there appears to be a small ding, denting in a bit.

I have no idea how it got there, and felt pretty rotten that the thing is damaged the day after I got it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Now some friends who are into cars say that the bare aluminium within will starts to corrode, so I gotta cover it with something....

What am I to do? Can I feel the dent with putty or just cover it with nail polish?

Help me out!!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
you shouldn't have to worry about the alumnium underneath the anodizing being exposed. a layer of aluminium oxide will form on the exposed aluminium, which will then protect it from further oxidisation. besides hard anodizing is actually a form of aluminium oxide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
Yup, what he said. That's the beauty of aluminum. It virtually self heals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Samoan

Enlightened
I managed to ding mine two days after receiving it. I was pulling a bunch of stuff out of my jacket and the LSH became airborne. At first I was disappointed and then I decided that it's officially *mine*. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Peace...

Fern...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I always thought that newly-exposed aluminum would attract and quickly assimilate hydrogen atoms, not oxygen atoms.
So I guess that part of chemistry that I read years and years ago is going down the drain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't think the aluminum will "corrode" or "rot" though, so I wouldn't worry about covering the ding with something.

Shanghaied

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, but too late!

I've already filled the dent with a two-part putty. A couple of hours later it was as hard as the aluminium itself. Then I painted it with gun-metal gray hobby paint. Now it's as good as new as far as the dent is concerned, though the colour is a bit off.... guess gun-metal wasn't the right colour after all....

Status
Not open for further replies.