Rayovac Beast 2000 Lumens

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Searched CPF and found nothing on this. I'm on Rayovac's email list and they emailed a coupon code for 29% off products until the 29th of the month. But I'm on the fence if I should pull the trigger and get one. I have no Rayovac lights. Wondering if anyone has any knowledge about it, e.g, LED color/tint, forward or reverse clicky, other info?

http://www.rayovac.com/Lights/Outdoor-Lights/The-BEAST-2000-Flashlight.aspx

Last edited:

EBuff75

Newly Enlightened
I saw this light while shopping recently ($60) and I'm curious about it too. There isn't much info online and I'm hesitant to drop that much on a light that I don't know much about. I like the size and it might make a good car light, but I'd like to know more about it (flood/throw, battery life, real-life output, etc). Has anyone here picked one up yet and could give us a review?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
man I cannot find any info anywhere about the specifics of this thing other than its nearly one and a half pounds. 2000 lumens off 4xCR123's? Even if this thing is anywhere close to that it likely drops output like a rock. "Fogged lens for more flood" erm...oooookay. Looks like a possible good host light for a build project but as is must devour its primary cells quick. Emitter type? Likely a Chinese mystery emitter or possibly an old Cree of some kind. Interesting looking light though...tint color is likely off the wall cold and harsh would be surprised if its anywhere near neutral...

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I still want to get one and try it out. But if I buy off Rayovac's website, they only seem to allow returns if it's completely new, unused, and unopened. Hmm. I'd like to be able to try it w/ an option of returning it. I did talk w/ them recently. They told me Lowe's placed a large order w/ them for these. So perhaps when the time comes, I'll get one from their online site or at my local Lowe's; to try it out...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
last thing I would do is buy off the Rayovac site. If my local Lowes does not have it in the store or online I am sure it will be shortly. Lowes has taken back a few lights from me no questions asked.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just noticed this at Meijer last night. I can't spend that kind of cash on this kind of light, but it has good reviews on amazon. However, many of the reviewers on amazon are the people who get a PoopFire 4000lm 1xAA light and say "OH MY GOD BEST LIGHT EVER! SO BRIGHT MY EYES HURT!" so you have to be cautious.

beast.jpg

firsttothescene

Enlightened
Just picked one up today at Menard's (hardware store); you can also get it at menards.com for $39.99 and after their 11% rebate: $35.59(through 6/11/16). The reviews are accurate on amazon; insanely bright! Comes with 4 - 123's as well. Not bad at all for the price.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still cannot find any tech specs on this thing whatsoever. There is just no way 4 CR123's are going to push 2000 lumens through what is likely a Lattice Bright Cree knock off. Wonder if the tube will take 2x18650 etc. Oh I am sure it is bright...for about 30 seconds. At the very best its a 1200 lumen for 30 seconds light. I do indeed really like the looks of it. Should be lots of room in the head for a high powered project. I do not get why the lens is frosted.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
It has to be greater than 1200 easy. I did not use it very much yet but noticed no step down in brightness. But for $35? I paid more than that for a fenix aaa light a few years back. The batteries alone are worth $10. Plus 90 days return policy!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us know how it goes if you get it. If it does actually do 2k or near it it will only literally for less than 30 seconds. The voltage sag that much draw the light would cause would be incredible. Bet it gets really hot fast. Protection circuits start tripping in short order. Still dont understand the frosted lens at all.

For $35 you could have a Convoy C8 built to your specs. If you do get this thing take it apart and take some pics for us.

markr6

Flashaholic
For $35 you could have a Convoy C8 built to your specs. If you do get this thing take it apart and take some pics for us.

I was just going to say there are many other better options. That one came to mind.

Altema22

Newly Enlightened
Anybody pick one up?

I picked one up a few weeks ago out of curiosity. Actually, I asked someone about it, and they bought it for me. I'll have to use tools to get it apart, as it appears they used thread locker on the head. The first seam I can find is 30mm from the front of the bezel.
The battery compartment is 137.5mm long with an inner diameter of 17.2mm. The switch is a forward clicky, but the logic is in the head of the flashlight. With the tail cap off, you can jump the battery contact to the body and cycle through the modes as if the tail switch was present. Emitter appears to be a 4 die unit (you can see the x if you hold it close to a surface on low brightness), but is a slightly cooler temperature than the Cree XHP50. Runtime is supposed to be two hours on high (2000L peak), and 15 hours on low (200L). I've had a it a few weeks on the original set of CR123's, and with the batteries down to 2.77 volts each, it seems to be putting out about 1,800L.

The lens has a very light orange peel surface (see photo below), but the reflector is deep and has a more concentrated beam than expected. Hotspot is small with a large corona and a moderate sidespill, and the throw is good despite the frosted lens. I would say it's good for camping or search, but not for tactical unless you use it as a club. The hotspot is so intense that you lose your peripheral vision, and there is no direct to any mode except the one that is AFTER the last one used. Tail switch is loud, there is no low mode, and the balance point when holding it in your hand is with your fingers actually on the back fins of the head. If I was in a tactical situation, I'd rather have my EC4S as main with my beat-up Energizer 185L light as backup...

Altema22

Newly Enlightened
By the way, we stayed late at a small lake last night. I like testing in these situations better than home: No backwash from city lights, no streetlights, just an occasional firefly ;)
After trying this light in several situations, I have to conclude that I just don't like the beam pattern. The small intense hotspot blows out the middle, leaving the corona and side spill too dark to be useful. You can see the trail right in front of you, and little else. If I was caught far from camp when the sun went down, I would feel slightly vulnerable.
In contrast, the EC4S lit up a broad area with broad coverage, and had the power to light up trees 250 meters away on the small lake just as well as the Rayovac's supposedly longer throw. In the woods, the Nitecore lit up the trail and the surrounding woods comfortably. Sorry I didn't get any beamshots, as the park rangers were trying to move us along.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runs on 4 CR123's? No thanks! If it took 2 18650's, I would consider it. Looks good though!

Altema22

Newly Enlightened
Runs on 4 CR123's? No thanks! If it took 2 18650's, I would consider it. Looks good though!

I would prefer 18650's as well. 123's are not that expensive now if you get them online (forget retail!), but you are still faced with laying out cash for replacements each time they run down. 17640's will fit if you stretch the spring or use a spacer, but you can't get 12 volts out of a pair of 17640's. However, it should be noted that the runtime on 123's is pretty good, and with the batteries down to 2.75 volts each, it still puts out good light. It does not heat up, and the fins stay cool even with the light on high for several minutes.

Altema22

Newly Enlightened
I tried to get the light apart tonight, wrapping it in grippy cloth and clamping it in a vice in several positions. Looks like it will not come apart without significant damage...

RayovacMarketingLights

Newly Enlightened
I'm the product marketing manager for Rayovac responsible for the lighting category. I can assure you that this product is in fact 2000 Lumens. Rayovac is investing in innovation and over the next year we will be launching several new products.

Our claims are 100% substantiated, if it's on our package it will do what it says.

Thanks,
Rayovac Lighting

Latest posts