"AA" powered LED flashlights

D

**DONOTDELETE**

hello,
please forgive me if this is too novice a question:
all the electronic tools of my trade use standard "AA" batteries, so i carry lots of them. which are the best LED flashlights using these batteries?
i currently carry a couple of white Infinity Task lights. i like them but they're not as bright, of course, as the white Photon II (which are not "AA" powered), nor do the Tasks have an easy on/off switch.
suggestions anyone?
thanks in advance,
phes

Mike

Newly Enlightened
You can always make your own AA LED flashlight. That's what I did in about an hour this weekend.

I bought a flat 4AA battery holder/case with a built-in switch at Radio Shack for $1.49. I put 3AA alkalines in it and used the 4th battery slot for mounting a circuit board with 4 white LEDs (wired in parrallel) and current limiting resistors. I used two 20 degree and two 50 degree LEDs so I get a nice even light distribution. I'm running each LED at about 35mA with new batteries. I got the LEDs from www.whiteleds.net for $1.75 each.

It's a nice size for keeping in a coat pocket. Probably a little big for pants pocket.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike:

I bought a flat 4AA battery holder/case with a built-in switch at Radio Shack for $1.49. B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the RS number for that? I've been looking for something like that for a while. Didn't see anything like it on the RS web site. It's probably available only at retail stores.
Chet

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Turtlelite II is one of my all around favorites. Moderately broad beam and good light output. Excellent battery life. Too large to carry around in a pocket though.

There are a number of AA flashlight choices at Glowbug ( http://www.glow-bug.com/products/flashlights.html ). The Pilot 3, Lightwave 2000 and Trek lights are all very popular. Each of these is pretty good for task lighting, due to the wide even beams. The Pilot 3 gets my vote for the best night walking flashlight. The head end in all clear and can be seen from almost any angle.

Let your light shine.
RonMnull

Mike

Newly Enlightened
Chet-

The 4AA battery holder with switch is RS #270-409. It's on page 259 of the 2001 catalog. I wish they had one for AAA batteries.