Repainting a Fenix? Reflective paint?

slipnfall

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks -

I work as an electronics tech on a factory floor, so my lights see some abuse. However the biggest risk to my flashlights is me LOSING them - I've already lost a Klarus XT11... they're dark, metal, and blend right in with a lot of machinery (and even if someone else found it, I'm sure it wouldn't be returned). The factory is dark, dingy, and a good bright flashlight is a must. I have been using the Rayovac Indestructible AA lights and Streamlight PolyPro4 temporarily, but they just don't cut it brightness wise.

So, as much as it pains me to do so, anyone out there re-paint their battery tube with something reflective? I painted an aforementioned Rayovac tube OSHA Yellow, but it certainly didn't hold up to chemicals... thinking maybe I could find a local powdercoating house to recoat a tube?

Something reflective would be GREAT. Haven't been able to find a tape that's flexible/durable about to wrap around a light though...

Thanks!

D6859

Enlightened
I lost new Thrunite TN12 last fall. I bought a replacement for it and wrapped an orange tape around the body. I got that tape from a construction site and it's really thick and durable. The light should be easier to find on the ground now.

tn12_taped.jpg

I also have a piece of paper with my contact information around the battery but regardless of that the lost TN12 hasn't returned to me.

If your going to paint the light protect the lense and connecting surfaces with a pieces of tape.

Borad

Enlightened
Choose 3m reflective materials and stick or glue it to the flat spots on the light. You may have to search for a light with the most/largest flat spots.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
On my larger lights I have reflective tape wrapped around the body. Makes it easier to find if dropped in the dark. Mine is white, but blue, yellow, and red are also easy to find.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it worth considering Cerakote? There's lots of people that will coat guns with this stuff, I'm sure you could get them to do a flashlight. It seems to be very durable, but I think it can chip.
It comes in many colours, try Googling it.
P

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lost new Thrunite TN12 last fall. I bought a replacement for it and wrapped an orange tape around the body. I got that tape from a construction site and it's really thick and durable. The light should be easier to find on the ground now.

tn12_taped.jpg

I also have a piece of paper with my contact information around the battery but regardless of that the lost TN12 hasn't returned to me.

If your going to paint the light protect the lense and connecting surfaces with a pieces of tape.

Neon Pink is the brightest tape in my peripheral vision. My manhood is not threatened by use this color. Well, not much, anyway.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a tritium locator tied to the light, something like the TEC Isotope?

Trits are something I have been meaning to research more, but never got around to doing. The "r" apparently is flaky on my keyboard, I get side tracked and ultimately find my self looking at the latest health care plan and cancer screenings.

Looks interesting, but also like some of the key thingys (flashlights, keyfinders) that have broken off my key ring over the years. And, $25, seems steep for someone who has never seen a real life Trit before.

Need a starter Trit to get me into becoming a Tritaholic. Like the gateway Walmart Led lights. What is the gateway Trit I can buy cheap, that can hook me into the hobby?

I see plenty of free Trit images on Web, just no way to get my hands of some cheap Trits.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Volvo Lifepaint?

Edit: Has to be the version for metals: http://www.albedo100.co.uk/albedo100-reflective-spray-light-metallic/

This is very ground breaking. Should be better than the reflective tape dot I added to all my headlamps, in addition to my neon pink tape. Should be if: doesn't come off; conforms to any surface; and would be better if it had a "nail polish" application system (to initial or draw in select areas). Though Volvo is thinking large quantity application.

Also, would be great for motocyclists. My Brother In Law, just got creamed by a car-in daytime-- who didn't see the motorcyle when starting up at an intersection. So, again, why not a neon color by day/reflective by night. I have been thinking of getting that Ex-Marine a neon pink helmet for his recovery gift. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

PolarLi

Enlightened
The invisible textile paint is not permanent and does come off in a wash. The albedo site (maker of the volvo spray) also has a version for pets :D From what I understand, the performance is ok, but you have to apply a pretty thick coat for it to really light up. The permanent spray for hard surfaces, seems to perform much better, but looks like ordinary grey paint. So not something everyone wants to spray on a expensive bike or other fancy hardware. But with some creative masking I guess you can make it look decent. And for a ordinary flashlight and other tools, could be worth checking out.