Battery Question

Bushcraft Forever

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

This is my first post and let me start by saying, " I know NOTHING about flashlights". My knowledge is limited to the $5.00 2 D cell lights at the local hardware store.

I was looking at a light at a Lux-Pro TAC 600 at Lowes, and it looks like something that would serve me well for hikes, and walking my dog at night. It is 320 lumens and brighter then anything I've ever owned. It does take four AAA batteries, and has a run time of seven hours. My question is, " is there a single battery compatible with the four AAA's"?

This light is only $25.00 and (to me) seems OK but to most of you it's probably useless. Sorry for my ignorance on the subject of flashlights, hopefully I will learn something on this forum.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Welcome!

There's a thread here with some information about that light. I can't say for sure if you can run that on alternative batteries, but the answer is probably not, at least not without some modification. The modern nickel-metal hydride batteries like Eneloops or Amazon Basics are a good investment, will save you money in the long run, and won't leak and ruin your light. Avoid standard alkalines if you can.

but to most of you it's probably useless

If you push the button and light comes out, it's not useless. :)

Have you already bought it? If not a post in the "Recommend me a light for … " section would generate some alternatives that you might find helpful.

Bushcraft Forever

Newly Enlightened
Welcome!

There's a thread here with some information about that light. I can't say for sure if you can run that on alternative batteries, but the answer is probably not, at least not without some modification. The modern nickel-metal hydride batteries like Eneloops or Amazon Basics are a good investment, will save you money in the long run, and won't leak and ruin your light. Avoid standard alkalines if you can.

If you push the button and light comes out, it's not useless. :)

Have you already bought it? If not a post in the "Recommend me a light for … " section would generate some alternatives that you might find helpful.

Thank you very much for your response, and welcome. I have not purchased the light yet, so a post as mentioned is a great idea, thank you!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Lux Pro makes some pretty good lights and from what I understand have great customer support.

Not being familiar from personal ownership of the 600 I cannot say for certain one way or another how it performs.
But I do own a 630 and it's a mighty fine light. I picked it over the 600 because it zooms.

For store bought budget lights their "600" series are a cut above with well made parts n pieces.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for your response, and welcome. I have not purchased the light yet, so a post as mentioned is a great idea, thank you!

You're quite welcome. On paper it looks like a good light for the price, and it's good to hear bykfixer's endorsement of the product line.

One of my favorites in that price range is the 1-AA Fenix E12. It's not as bright, but it's a very well-made, compact light. The Rayovac Indestructible 2AA (roughly $15 at Home Depot) is pretty well regarded 'round these parts, though I've never owned one myself. There's also the Mini Maglite Pro in the $20-ish range.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hello all,

I was looking at a light at a Lux-Pro TAC 600 at Lowes, and it looks like something that would serve me well for hikes, and walking my dog at night. It is 320 lumens and brighter then anything I've ever owned. It does take four AAA batteries, and has a run time of seven hours. My question is, " is there a single battery compatible with the four AAA's"?
Not knowing anything about the light I would get something different.

Since you asked about batteries, a single AA battery has about three times the capacity as a single AAA, so a 2 x AA light would have more capacity than the 4 x AAA light.

Again... I don't know what it looks like, but I imagine the light puts the AAA batteries into a carrier, or is molded to take the four cells. The closest you would get to a single cell replacement would be a 18500 LiIon, and assuming that the light is just running with a resistor to drop the voltage from 6 volts to 3.5 volts, the 4.2 volts of the 18500 may not be enough after the resistor. I don't know.

Also, the 320 lumens output, when running alkaline batteries, will start dropping within ten minutes, and continue to drop for seven hours, many of them at 40 lumens or so. So don't let the long runtime advertising fool you.

For example, the rayovac indestructible 2 AA will run for about seven hours, IIRC starting at 125 lumens, and dropping to 30-40 or so. So a 4 x AAA light, that has less overall capacity will not be able to out do it it lumens, and run time. It just won't happen.

MX421

Enlightened
Since you asked about batteries, a single AA battery has about three times the capacity as a single AAA, so a 2 x AA light would have more capacity than the 4 x AAA light.

A quick check shows the AA & AAA cost about the same too, you pay for the small package, which, when you put in 4 batteries, don't even take advantage of the small form factor.

Still, there is a thread on here about AAA flashlights you should check out if you are truly interested in a AAA light.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight education with forum members seems to progress from getting burned on lights that take three AAA batteries and make great claims, to getting Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries and good value lights, to lithium rechargeable batteries and amazing lights.
I'm still irked by the first "nice" light that I bought early on at a store, took 3 AAA and promised a lot... cost 60$, totally sucked me in, arrrgh.
-then I found CPF.

Last edited:

Bushcraft Forever

Newly Enlightened
This is all so confusing to me, lol. I never realized that flashlights could be so complex, I just want a good light to hike and walk my dog in the dark.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I see there are already some good recommendations above re: lights.

When you see a light advertised at x lumens for y hours, you rarely get the full x lumens for the full y hours. More typically, you get x lumens for the first few minutes after turning on the light, with decreasing output until the stated runtime, at which point you will likely be at about 10% of the stated output. Part of what you should get when you pay more for a light is regulation, which means that you will have a little less output at the beginning, but that output level will hold true for most of the stated runtime, dropping off only near the end.

The recommendation to use Eneloops is also a good one. Invest in a good Powerex Maha charger as well, which will help you take good care of your batteries. Rechargeable cells are an investment at first, but I have not purchased alkaline batteries in more than 2 years except for less common sizes like N cell. You save money in he long run, not only from not having to repeatedly buy batteries, but also from not having your devices ruined by leaking batteries. NIMH (nickel metal hydride) cells like Eneloop will start out at a bit lower voltage than alkaline, but will hold that voltage until their charge is almost totally spent, ultimately giving better performance. They don't develop memory, so you can top them off anytime you want.

If/when you ever decide to get into 18650 or other lithium ion cells, do a lot of reading in the electronics subforum, including the safety subforum, before you buy anything. That will enable you to get the right stuff the first time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the nod kudzu.

This is all so confusing to me, lol. I never realized that flashlights could be so complex, I just want a good light to hike and walk my dog in the dark.

Well it is until you understand the basics. Yet at first it's seemingly like trying to eat an elephant.

The lights I reccomend here are ones I've used at varying stages of my holism... starting with a Coast HP7, an Energizer Hardcase and a LuxPro 630. Out of those the LuxPro hangs by my front door. The other 2? Got me.
Anyway...the comments above are indeed correct. Triple a's are akin to a smaller fuel cell than a double a.
Provide great run times? For occasional use an hour here, half hour there...yes. The light hanging by my front door still has the original batteries.

The 4 cell carrier can be replaced...but not just by another battery. Modification would be required.

Like others said it dims over time...like incan lights.

Are there better choices? Sure.

But until you begin to eat the elephant one bite at a time (as in read the great info here in the sticky's at the top of each section) a LuxPro fed by 25¢ each Rayovacs will be good to go until then.
Then when you decide it's time to upgrade being a member of CPF will prepare you for the next step at your pace.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
My favorite general purpose light is a convoy S2+

I'd like to suggest that you go to mtnelectronics and get one of their package deals, of your choice.
Red, Green or Blue Convoy S2+ driven at 2.1 amps
a 2600mah 18650 protected battery
and a one cell Xtar battery charger.

all for about $32.

The battery will last you about five years, and you'll be able to charge it over and over

I'm guestimating the run-times, but you'll get about
an hour and fifteen minutes at 650-800 lumens on high.
about 3 hours at 350-400 lumens on medium
about 26 hours at about 80 lumens. on low.

80 lumens will be enough for dog walking and most chores... the middle when you need a more, and higher outputs are for giggling. :)

Bushcraft Forever

Newly Enlightened
My favorite general purpose light is a convoy S2+

I'd like to suggest that you go to mtnelectronics and get one of their package deals, of your choice.
Red, Green or Blue Convoy S2+ driven at 2.1 amps
a 2600mah 18650 protected battery
and a one cell Xtar battery charger.

all for about $32.

The battery will last you about five years, and you'll be able to charge it over and over

I'm guestimating the run-times, but you'll get about
an hour and fifteen minutes at 650-800 lumens on high.
about 3 hours at 350-400 lumens on medium
about 26 hours at about 80 lumens. on low.

80 lumens will be enough for dog walking and most chores... the middle when you need a more, and higher outputs are for giggling. :)

Thank you so much for this, it's perfect! I just ordered the bundle with the S2+....

Bushcraft Forever

Newly Enlightened
OK, question, I think lol. My new light will be here today and I will be charging the batteries. I have no idea if they come pre-charged, but I would suspect not. How long should I leave them in the charger, and how will I know when they are fully charged? Here are the links to the charger and batteries I am getting. I don't want to damage the batteries or charger or have a safety concern.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=177

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=599

Poppy

Flashaholic
There is not much user interface on the charger, only a red/green led. It is red while charging and green at all other times

The battery will probably come at about 3.7 volts. You should charge it before use. It'll probably take a couple of hours to do so.

Here is a review of the charger by the trusted HKJ :)

BTW... which color S2+ did you choose?

Last edited:

Bushcraft Forever

Newly Enlightened
There is not much user interface on the charger, only a red/green led. It is red while charging and green at all other times

The battery will probably come at about 3.7 volts. You should charge it before use. It'll probably take a couple of hours to do so.

Here is a review of the charger by the trusted HKJ :)

BTW... which color S2+ did you choose?

Thank you again, you have been very kind. I opted for the blue!