Is there a flashlight that fully utilizes CREE XM-L T6 LED (3A)?

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened
After watching similar vids:

I am wondering, why isn't a flashlight out there that would fully utilize the XM-L / XM-L2 / U2 diode?

So far, all the lights that have come to my hands had a driver that somewhat reduced voltage. And max. current was about from 700 to 1500 mAh, regardless the Panasonic 3400 mAh cell which can supply more than 5 A.

Even with a flashlight using 7x CREE XM-L, total output current was 1.66 A !!!

Where is the problem? Is there really NOT a single lamp which would fully utilize the CREE LED? Moreover, the settings could be much easier (connecting straight to the battery).

Thank you a lot in advance.

light-modder

Enlightened
There are some lefty of lights that drive the xm-l2 at or near max current. 3A is the max rated current and yields around 800-1000 lumens. Look at nitecore, Zebralight, sunwayman, and armytek that should get you started.

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened
There are some lefty of lights that drive the xm-l2 at or near max current. 3A is the max rated current and yields around 800-1000 lumens. Look at nitecore, Zebralight, sunwayman, and armytek that should get you started.

Thanks,

are there some budget lights with similar properties (up to 3A max. current, yields up to 1000 lm)?

Or budget lights will always get only half or less out of the CREE XM-L / XP-L / XM-L2 / U2 LEDS?

Im preferably looking for a headlamp, running on 1x 18650 battery. Don't wanna invest extra money unless it's necessary.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Most really cheap lights don't have adequate heatsinking and the thermal path to the heatsink is not good. So if they were to drive the LED to max it would really shorten the life of the unit. I've bought a couple of really nice headlamps for fair prices. The Fenix HL55 is one and I think it can be had for 50-60. In the Neutral White tint it claims 900L on turbo. I would say that that is accurate. The ThruNite TH10 was the other one in CW is 825L, but is more throwy than the Fenix HL55. It's less than 40.

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened
Most really cheap lights don't have adequate heatsinking and the thermal path to the heatsink is not good. So if they were to drive the LED to max it would really shorten the life of the unit. I've bought a couple of really nice headlamps for fair prices. The Fenix HL55 is one and I think it can be had for 50-60. In the Neutral White tint it claims 900L on turbo. I would say that that is accurate. The ThruNite TH10 was the other one in CW is 825L, but is more throwy than the Fenix HL55. It's less than 40.

From what I've watched on YouTube, I think the turbo on HL55 is the only that fully utilizes it.

Is there a similar light that can be set to turbo mode without having to be pressing the button continually?

Fresh Light

Enlightened
You are right it keeps the turbo for 30 seconds then drops to whatever previous mode it was in. I don't know what headlight would hold that level. It's going to get really hot within a min or two since headlights aren't going to have the mass of handheld lights. Possibly dangerously hot.

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened
You are right it keeps the turbo for 30 seconds then drops to whatever previous mode it was in. I don't know what headlight would hold that level. It's going to get really hot within a min or two since headlights aren't going to have the mass of handheld lights. Possibly dangerously hot.

I understand that in a 25°C closed room, it could even burn (exceed Tjmax 150°C), but: Is this why they limit the customer?

I would like to use it for night bike rides in temperatures below the freezing point (<0°C). Add the fast motion and wind and I am sure that there would not be any problems with high LED temperature.

That's why I'd welcome a LED with optional TURBO mode for longer usage.

The T6 bin isn't that great of a bin anyway. T6 was common three years ago. That bin was limited on current.

Well, I know it's quite old, but at the same time not too expensive. I think its a great compromise between quality and price. Almost 1000 lumens with current 3A is suitable for me.

But still, what would you recommend from the best today's products? XP-L from CREE is the most effective today?

Last edited:

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I would like to use it for night bike rides in temperatures below the freezing point (<0°C). Add the fast motion and wind and I am sure that there would not be any problems with high LED temperature.

That's why I'd welcome a LED with optional TURBO mode for longer usage.

But still, what would you recommend from the best today's products? XP-L from CREE is the most effective today?

I would be looking toward some of the newer headlamps that use a temperature based step down instead of a timed step down when on the "turbo" mode.

Here are a few:

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hc50

http://www.zebralight.com/H600-Mk-II-18650-XM-L2-Headlamp-Cool-White_p_130.html

And a 2000 lumen blaster.
http://www.acebeam.com/acebeam-headlight-h10

Bob

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened
I would be looking toward some of the newer headlamps that use a temperature based step down instead of a timed step down when on the "turbo" mode.

Here are a few:

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hc50

http://www.zebralight.com/H600-Mk-II-18650-XM-L2-Headlamp-Cool-White_p_130.html

And a 2000 lumen blaster.
http://www.acebeam.com/acebeam-headlight-h10

Bob

What is the maximal lumen output that HC50 can get without having to be pressing the "TURBO" button? Ie. what's the brightest continuous mode?

Latest posts