Solarforce Y2 first impressions.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recieved this light in the mail, literally 5 minutes ago !
It is smaller than I thought it would be, very nicely finished, flawless matt black ano. It came with a good dual way clip which feels secure, although it only clips around the body of the light. Also supplied was a spare switch boot in gitd.
The four modes are great and in one respect you can fine tune by using the focus too. For instance the lowest mode is very low but if you are zoomed out the light is spread around so much its like the ultimate firefly !
When zoomed for throw it focuses the led nicely although it came with a domed xp l. So it is not as intense as my dedomed m22. Yet. I have a xp l hi here waiting to go in.
The light gets warm nicely maxed out so I may not increase the current- it is not a big light.

Recomended for a cheap fun light, glad to see solarforce dishing out more multi voltage stuff too as well as different and interesting well finished lights.
This is my light, just thought id share :D

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I would be interested in hearing how your XP-L HI does in it. Is it using the P60 style brass module?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Na, its a small custom ally pill screws into the body from the head end.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive put the xpl hi in, but im having mode problems at the minute, must be shorting somewhere doh!
Its easy enough to get in and out though.

The focus system is strange, the light must be waterproof but its not a great design because the air pressure in the sealed light makes it hard to keep the focus where u want it, I have been either unscrewing the bezel or tail to set the focus the doing it up tight again lol

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update, got it working properly now, I must buy a smaller iron. Anyhows with 1 18650 my olight m22 dedome kills it. With 2 rcr123's its a close run thing. Bearing in mind the solarforce is underpowered and smaller than the m22. That aint too bad. Im going to see if I can find a decent board for it now. With real power I should be able to get some decent throw :).
As a general light I like it, it feels nice in hand , has a good shape and good modes.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've not read much on these. Are you able to post up some size comparison pics with other lights and maybe a beam shot?

It's a shame so many Solarforce lights don't perform how they look. Why must they need 2x Li-ion or 6v+ to work properly, when there are loads of great 18650 drivers out there.

Question, does it have dreadful PWM like other Solarforce drivers?

RBWNY

Enlightened
The focus system is strange, the light must be waterproof but its not a great design because the air pressure in the sealed light makes it hard to keep the focus where u want it, I have been either unscrewing the bezel or tail to set the focus the doing it up tight again lol

Are you saying that the focusing mechanism is loose? Because I got one of these a few weeks ago for testing/reviewing purposes, and the sliding head on mind is REALLY lose. I'm also not crazy about how the aspheric lens is almost level with the edge of the bezel. This means that when it's placed bezel down, it sounds as if the lens is tapping the resting surface.

Otherwise, pretty nice light. Quite a bit better than those ultra-cheapo zoom lights that sell like hotcakes on Amazon!

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
My focusing is not loose at all . The lens does not hit surfaces at all . Not sure about pwm. I cant see it but its never bothered me before , how do I check quick and easy ?
I was guna buy a new driver but what I wanted was outa stock.
Out side after a play my dedome m22 still kills it. It looked a lot closer indoors but I really need to give it a driver boost.
Still a nice light glad I got it :)