Maglite ML50L vs Magtac and 2nd gen 2D LED, observations

nitedrive

Newly Enlightened
My local Walmart has Maglite ML50L 3C lights for $33. They also have the ML300L 3D model for $40. I've been curious about these two lights so I decided to give the 3C a try. I didn't want something as large as a 3D (a 2D or 2C would have been preferred) and I'm just cheap enough/rational enough to know I don't need this light at all so the cheaper, smaller 3C model was what I picked.

**Edit** [during the testing below it turned out I had an old set of batteries. See my later post for output impressions with a new set of batteries]
My impressions are mixed after comparing it to a few other lights. All comparisons are based on ceiling bounce and off the white wall type
observations. I have no lux meters or the like for testing.

Out of the box I think the 3C is a nice light. It's big compared to say 1x 18650 lights but it also comes with good throw and an adjustable beam. The color tint is a mild bit green. Not horridly so but just enough that I felt like it was noticeable. I think I was disapointed because my XL200, Magtac, Solitaire LED and even the Rebel 2D Maglite all have nicer, cleaner tint. This is also true of my 770 lumen Black and Decker LED spotlight (the one that's about $50 at Walmart).

Next is apparent lumens. The Rebel 2D is something like 120. The Magtac is 310, the ML50L is a bit over 600. However, total lumens isn't everything. I felt like I was a bit let down by the observed brightness. When compared to the Magtac the center spot is brighter but just by a bit when fully focused. That would suggest the beam distances isn't much better than the Magtac. This makes me question the long throw claimed for the light. No question the overall output is higher than the Magtac but just not as much as your brain would expect given a 2x multiplier in lumens. Some of that lack of perceived brghtness might be the rather wide halo/ flood of the beam. The Magtac is narrower at the same distance from the wall. However, when I compare the 600 lumens to the 770 lumen spot light I feel like the 770 is significantly brighter. I'm guessing the issue is the eye's sensitivity to different colors of light.

Anyway, it's still a bright light for $33 and using an off the shelf battery.

However, the comparison to the Rebel 2D light was quite surprising. The old Rebel lights were clearly throwers! On the wall the center spot seemed brighter than the ML50L. A ceiling bounce made it plane that the rebel just doesn't have the output. But the small die results in a tight spot that is brighter than the ML50L's bright spot. That doesn't seam right given that I believe the Rebel had good reach even by the standards of lights with far more lumens. It's easy to be dismissive of a 2D light that only produces 120 lumens but it seams the Rebel Maglights can at least focus all there light into a small spot. The ML50L just can't compare.

When compared to the B&D spotlight again the ML50L comes out in second... but at least that is expected given the spotlights 3.5" lens higher output.

Anyway, I thought I would give people my impression. Certainly worth it for $33 (the 3D is $40) and if I was coming from a number of 2AA lights, this one is powerful and large. But the slightly off beam color and the other smaller lights I have in that same area makes me question getting the ML50L. It would be great for places like a cabin where nightly charges are a non-starter. Around the house I would rather use a smaller light.

What does the rest of the group think?

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ thanks!!

keep your eyes peeled for the 3C ML25LT. It's $10 less, similar in size to the old 2C and has that old school Mag throw. It operates on/off like a minimag.
It's basically a stripped down version of the "50" you speak of.

^^ Heavy Duty 2C vs ML25LT

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for the extra $10 I would go for the ML50.

nitedrive

Newly Enlightened
Well I found an issue! My "new" batteries apparently weren't so new after all.

I decided to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me so I got my handy, low quality Lux meter and did a quick, simple ceiling bounce test to compare the Black and Decker spotlight, Magtac and ML50L. The ML50L was perhaps 20% lower than the Magtac in my unscientific test. Well, I had my newly made C to AA spacer handy. With a fresh set of AA NiMH the light was just a bit down from the spotlight and clearly brighter than the Magtac. I no longer doubt that this light is producing it's claimed 600+ lumens. The center of the spot is still a bit green tinted yellow for my taste but it unquestionable delivers the lumens. Not a bad light at all.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I think you owe mr. maglica an apology :)
Well I found an issue! My "new" batteries apparently weren't so new after all.

I decided to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me so I got my handy, low quality Lux meter and did a quick, simple ceiling bounce test to compare the Black and Decker spotlight, Magtac and ML50L. The ML50L was perhaps 20% lower than the Magtac in my unscientific test. Well, I had my newly made C to AA spacer handy. With a fresh set of AA NiMH the light was just a bit down from the spotlight and clearly brighter than the Magtac. I no longer doubt that this light is producing it's claimed 600+ lumens. The center of the spot is still a bit green tinted yellow for my taste but it unquestionable delivers the lumens. Not a bad light at all.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a 3C ML50 at WM....nice and bright, just as bright as my 3D ML300 in fact; though for what it's worth, the smaller reflector does not give quite a clean beam around the hotspot. Great bang for the buck for $33!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that the ML50 is supposed to be 20 lumens in Eco mode....mine seems a lot brighter, maybe 40 ish lumens or so. Anyone else notice the same with their ML50?