Xenon Mini Maglites on Sale at Wal*Mart

ericjohn

Enlightened
So Mini Maglites are being sold for $6.73 +tax at the Wal Marts in my area. I got one that is a very dark blue.

That's the cheapest I've ever seen them and I've been taking note of their price since 1998.

They don't have the red clearance sticker, but they are selling for even cheaper than what they were selling for in the aftermath of Katrina.

I thought all Maglite fans would be interested in this news and check out their local Wal*Marts.

The best part is that the package includes two Duracell Duralock AA batteries, a nylon holster AND *drum roll* 2 extra Xenon bulbs.

Wal*Mart does have some unpleasantness, but it is probably the best place to get a Mini Maglite, hands down...

ericjohn

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip.

Have you tried a nite ize dual pin led in one eric?
It's like pizza...even bad pizza aint bad.

I did one of the Nite Ize dropins and gave it to my nephew for his 10th birthday. It was a gunmetal grey Mini Maglite with an LED dropin and it came with a different reflector since the stock one wasn't compatible.

I like the warm tint of a Mini Maglite bulb, so I stick with the stock configuration on that particular flashlight.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did one of the Nite Ize dropins and gave it to my nephew for his 10th birthday. It was a gunmetal grey Mini Maglite with an LED dropin and it came with a different reflector since the stock one wasn't compatible.

I like the warm tint of a Mini Maglite bulb, so I stick with the stock configuration on that particular flashlight.

I hear ya. I prefer the incan of that and the solitaire.
But I have a couple of nite-ized mini mags laying around for the extra brightness and/or runtime.
I have one set up with the nite ize clicky as well.

The incan is a classic that I hope to still see in stores this time next year.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Long Live the Mini Mag. Almost bought another one Friday night...but actually managed to leave the place without buying another flashlight... Did get some more C batteries though... For my 4C.

Hope you like that 2C swampgator.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two LEE daylight to tungsten lighting filter packs on the way.I am planning to make some filters for my various LED converted Mags to get rid of the cool white tints and breath some new life into my Maglites. The loss of output is worth it to me. It isn't going to be quite the same as true incandescent of course but should improve the many low cost LED conversions that have otherwise undesirable tint.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Do tell. A gel that'll be cut to fit?

I wanna 'warm up' my Malkoff'd Mag 3D beam some.

Yes, I ordered online since they didn't have any at the local Camera shop.I have a couple sample packs of the LEE filters and they are very thin so I will use them with the clear lens of the Maglight.I have already used a sample piece on a Streamlight Sidewinder.I think there are other brands of filter gels available but LEE does have the daylight to tungsten pack and it should be ideal for my purposes.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes, I ordered online since they didn't have any at the local Camera shop.I have a couple sample packs of the LEE filters and they are very thin so I will use them with the clear lens of the Maglight.I have already used a sample piece on a Streamlight Sidewinder.I think there are other brands of filter gels available but LEE does have the daylight to tungsten pack and it should be ideal for my purposes.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Same here on the camera store. Closest in an hour away and they don't carry slide in filters..oh they'll order for ya.

Tell us how it works out please.

An emitter swap may be a better idea here.

Malkoff drop in's for Mag come in 2 flavors...
Bright and brighter. No color choices.

Minimoog

Enlightened
You get such good deals on lights in the USA! The cheapest I see them is £10 ($16) which still seems fair I suppose (but that is not the Xenon model). One real improvement I suggest is the coated glass lens upgrade. The plastic lens holds back some of the light produced whilst the glass one lets it through - so swapping the lens over is some extra lumens and it can be wiped without getting fine scratches. I find myself carrying my AA Mag more and more, simply because of the super useful candle mode. That, and the proven build quality. The only other change I made was to Change the bulb to that from the FreePlay 2020 torch, which is Xenon and rated at 2.4 Volts, 1 Amp. This, and a pair of Eneloop Pro batteries is a real sweet spot in the AA format.

swampgator

Enlightened
Hope you like that 2C swampgator.
Picked it up yesterday. So far I'm really digging it but haven't played with it too much. I'm a die hard 2C Mag fan but I'm loving the form factor of the new lights!!

And yes, I picked up another black incan MM... One day I'll actually count how many of them I have...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 2C maxi-mini mag is a fun light. Maybe because the reflector is so much larger the incan version doesn't seem as bright as that little ole mini mag. But if you hold them side by side and shine the light at an object at say... 100' you'll see a big difference in how well that larger reflector throws.
Nothing close to the brightness of the LED stuff, mind you, but well worth the $15.99 if you stumble onto one.

Recently I tried to count my mini mag incans. I stopped counting at 22 knowing there are some stashed I've forgotten about.

swampgator

Enlightened
The 2C maxi-mini mag is a fun light. Maybe because the reflector is so much larger the incan version doesn't seem as bright as that little ole mini mag. But if you hold them side by side and shine the light at an object at say... 100' you'll see a big difference in how well that larger reflector throws.
Nothing close to the brightness of the LED stuff, mind you, but well worth the $15.99 if you stumble onto one.

Recently I tried to count my mini mag incans. I stopped counting at 22 knowing there are some stashed I've forgotten about.
I really, really want to find a 2C incan Maxi Mag. Seems like you guys are already playing with mods!!

As for my Minis, I think I'm in the dozen or so range. Nothing spectacular but all working user lights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I got mine at ZBattery, where they have all 5 colors in the 2 cells and black 3 cell versions.
I've seen black 2 cell incans at Amazon as well.

ZBattery is a good Maglite source...ever seen a dark green mini mag? They still have several versions of dark green Mags.

ericjohn

Enlightened
Yesterday evening, I got the last Xenon Mini Maglite at the Target in the Esplanade Mall (near New Orleans) for $2.98 +tax.

It was originally selling for $9.99, but the sticker said Reduced to $4.98.

When they rang it up, it sold for $2.98.

There may be sales like these at other Targets, so just a heads up. I don't know if Target is discontinuing the Mini Maglite altogether or what, or if a new design is coming.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I really, really want to find a 2C incan Maxi Mag. Seems like you guys are already playing with mods!!

As for my Minis, I think I'm in the dozen or so range. Nothing spectacular but all working user lights.

Target sells them. I think they are the store replacement for the Mini Maglite incandescent. Why can't Target carry both?