If you live in US and don't have binoculars

markr6

Flashaholic
I keep a pair in my car too. Cheap 8x21 Bushnell but they are nice and clear, compact, lightweight. Unfortunately they updated the style years ago and they're bulky and harder to adjust. I tried some new off-brand using the old rubberized body style, but the quality is trash.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep a pair in the car too, Bushnell Citation 7x35, low end but good for day hikes and knocking around.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Keep a pair in the car too, Bushnell Citation 7x35, low end but good for day hikes and knocking around.
That is a nice pair to keep in the car on an everyday carry setup, not every thing has to be Zeiss or whatever, chances are we use them for short periods of time anyway, and if they get stolen you are not out that much. I switched my truck binoculars to middle of the road pair of canon, and they are great.

I just love anything with optics, and flashlights, of course. I also, have a monocular in there too.

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I acquired a pair of Manon 16X50 binoculars overseas and they are great for observing the moon but they could use image stabilization for viewing anything on the 3rd rock from the sun.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I acquired a pair of 16X50 binocs overseas and they are great for observing the moon but they could use image stabilization for viewing anything on the 3rd rock from the sun.

Those must be heavy, do you use them with a tripod or something?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
To test how sharp the lenses are, focus on something, then look at the edge of the glass and see how the focus holds sharp to the edge there.

Something to remember is there is a huge amount of hype by the companies who make binoculars. There is always a new coating or some other technical thing. I used a friends pair of 7 X 35s from the 1960s and they were amazing. And an off brand, as well. If you get a decent pair they will be with you for years.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I acquired a pair of 16X50 binocs overseas and they are great for observing the moon but they could use image stabilization for viewing anything on the 3rd rock from the sun.
Those must be fun to look through. If you call B & H in NYC, they can assist you with a tripod set up. Remember you will need a sturdy tripod, or you still get shake, unless you sand bag it down, and by sand bag I mean a photo sand bag. That will help with shake.

roger-roger

Enlightened
Ended up sending the Tract Toric 8x42 back.

Pretty close to finishing evaluating a Meopta Meopro HD 8x32, and a Swarovski EL 8x32 SV, the recently discontinued version. One will be boxed and shipped for return tomorrow :).

Have my heart set on the Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42, but prudence probably dictates putting that buy on hold for at least 4 mo. [h=1][/h]

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Have my heart set on the Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42

How about 83x optical/166x digital stabilized and GPS for a quarter of the price, and you can share what you see..

yH700ZO.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've been considering photography but what a treacherous slippery slope that can be. :D Its not a pursuit I'd likely only dabble in.

It's a new year, might be time for a new hobby; the news is good if you like seeing things afar since smaller-sensor, less expensive entry-level DSLRs get more zoom from lenses than larger-sensor pro cameras - the telephoto lens that came with my camera is rated 50-200mm, but it's 75-300mm when used on this model. Great for shooting wildlife.

Start with a simple but thorough Kindle book made for people new to photography, ten bucks.

Last edited: