pocket friendly light!

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
i don't have a pocket light that you would call a EDC light! so i have been looking at this two,the lumentop tool and a eagletac D25-C,witch of these two would serve me best!there both around the same price and feel there of the same quality,could you please give me any advice as to witch one would be the better one!or is there another pocket size light you would pick! i thank you for any help you may have.:shakehead

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than being pocketable, what are you looking for in the light? Price, CRI, lumens, etc

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
I do not know about the lumentop. I own a D25-C which has been my keychain carry for years. I do not pocket carry as it would turn on all the time due to stuff in my pocket (tail cap clicky). But it is a very well built light.

Lateck,

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac uses CR123 batteries
The tool uses AAA
you need to make some choices about what kind of batteries you want to use, and how heavy a light you want to carry, look up how much they weigh.. add 16 grams for the CR123, and 12 grams for the AAA

decide which battery size you want, AAA does not last as long as CR123… AAA and AA can use Eneloop rechargeables, not an option with CR123 (they are not cheap).

do a search for "Lumintop Tool Review" and "Eagletac D25-C review"

fwiw, the pocket clip on the Tool is easily popped off by mistake, not so with the screwed on pocket clip on the Eagletac..

you mention "pocket carry", which I hear as slightly different than Pocket Clip carry

for pocket carry, I suggest you start with an Olight i3s. Inexpensive, light weight, no PWM, but low CRI.. If like me you want a high CRI LED, both the Eagletac and the Tool offer Nichia 219. There is a new Titanium Tool you might want, or you may want the older model in pure copper (even though the tailswitch is different and wont allow tailstanding)...

lights also differ in mode sequence, some start on Low, then medium, then high, others start Medium, then High, then low.. etc..

look through my signature links for an education on all the factors I considered when choosing my lights. If I was going to suggest just one to get, today, it would be this if you want a clickie tail switch, or the Olight if youre OK with a head twist interface, no tail switch
Group Buy: Lumintop Tool Ti AAA It has a Nichia LED and Low-M-H modes

my personal preference is to twisty interface, and I love Copper, so my carry is a Maratac Copper AAA, but it costs 3x as much as the Olight

to help you figure out what light to buy, figure out where you will use it
1. During the day to work on a car requires a MUCH brighter light than needed at night to go to the bathroom
2. At night around the house does not need as bright a light, and its nicer if its not too Cool White.. I prefer Warm or Neutral, I dislike CoolWhite.. The Nichia is a Neutral White, probably the best middle ground

warning, you will end up buying more than one light, thats what happens when you hang around here :)

happy shopping

ps, here is a really inexpensive light with a Nichia LED

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac uses CR123 batteries
The tool uses AAA
you need to make some choices about what kind of batteries you want to use, and how heavy a light you want to carry, look up how much they weigh.. add 16 grams for the CR123, and 12 grams for the AAA

decide which battery size you want, AAA does not last as long as CR123… AAA and AA can use Eneloop rechargeables, not an option with CR123 (they are not cheap).

do a search for "Lumintop Tool Review" and "Eagletac D25-C review"

fwiw, the pocket clip on the Tool is easily popped off by mistake, not so with the screwed on pocket clip on the Eagletac..

you mention "pocket carry", which I hear as slightly different than Pocket Clip carry

for pocket carry, I suggest you start with an Olight i3s. Inexpensive, light weight, no PWM, but low CRI.. If like me you want a high CRI LED, both the Eagletac and the Tool offer Nichia 219. There is a new Titanium Tool you might want, or you may want the older model in pure copper (even though the tailswitch is different and wont allow tailstanding)...

lights also differ in mode sequence, some start on Low, then medium, then high, others start Medium, then High, then low.. etc..

look through my signature links for an education on all the factors I considered when choosing my lights. If I was going to suggest just one to get, today, it would be this if you want a clickie tail switch, or the Olight if youre OK with a head twist interface, no tail switch
Group Buy: Lumintop Tool Ti AAA It has a Nichia LED and Low-M-H modes

my personal preference is to twisty interface, and I love Copper, so my carry is a Maratac Copper AAA, but it costs 3x as much as the Olight

to help you figure out what light to buy, figure out where you will use it
1. During the day to work on a car requires a MUCH brighter light than needed at night to go to the bathroom
2. At night around the house does not need as bright a light, and its nicer if its not too Cool White.. I prefer Warm or Neutral, I dislike CoolWhite.. The Nichia is a Neutral White, probably the best middle ground

warning, you will end up buying more than one light, thats what happens when you hang around here :)

happy shopping

ps, here is a really inexpensive light with a Nichia LED

L3 Illuminations L10 and L11c are also less expensive AA and L08 AAA very pocketable lights with nichia 219s. I have the two mentioned AA lights and a lumintop copper nichia tool and they are all great lights

akhyar

Enlightened
I thrown Olight S1 Baton into the ring.
Small enough to dissapear inside the pocket, which can be good or bad, and uses CR123 or 16340 battery

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own several of each. For EDC EagleTac D25C is my first choice. Nothing wrong with the Tool, they are just very different lights. IMHO: I see the tool as a back up light.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own several of each. For EDC EagleTac D25C is my first choice. Nothing wrong with the Tool, they are just very different lights. IMHO: I see the tool as a back up light.

I EDC pocket carry my D25C Ti. clicky and my SWM V11R, both stoked with AW IMRs and they're both fine and don't turn on in my pocket.

Nice little screaming lipstick lights that do 98% of what I need a flashlight to do in my everyday life.

Chris

stephenk

Enlightened
There are plenty of single AAA and AA lights to choose from. Choose based on tint, modes/brightness levels, and user interface (twisty/clicky and order of modes).

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
oh! i just saw this on the malkoff sight,malkoff MDC/cr123 version,ant cheap though! really grate USA/pocket pal that seems rock solid built with a pocket-clip no less,and would fit my needs vary well.:thumbsup:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
When choosing a light, a Cost Benefit decision needs to be made about battery technology and weight preferences…

Eneloop AAA cost about $4 each, but are rechargeable
Eneloop AA cost about $3 each, but are rechargeable
The CR123 battery cost about $2 each, they are not rechargeable.

AAA Eneloop 1.2v 900mAh = 1080mWh
AA Eneloop 1.2v 2550mAh = 3060mWh
CR123 3v 1500mAh =4500mWh

LumintopTool weighs 15 grams, Eneloop AAA weighs 12 grams, total 27 grams (~1 Ounce)
Runtime 110 lum for 1/2 hour

Zebralight SC5 weighs 58 grams, Eneloop AA is 26 grams, total 84 grams (~3 Ounces)
Runtime 115 lum for 3.5 hours

Zebralight SC32 weighs 38 grams, CR123 is 17 grams, total 55 grams (~2 Ounces)
Runtime 100 lum for 4 hours

The CR123 light weighs 1 ounce more than the AAA light, and lasts 3 1/2 hours longer
The CR123 light weighs 1 ounce less than the AA light and lasts 1/2 hour longer.

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are both good brands. I carry the Eagletac D25A clicky. Prior to that I used a Tank 007 twisty until it wore out. That replaced a Nuwaii Q3 that wasn't small but carried well in my pocket. I have a brass Limintop Worm that's too slick for my carry preferences.

tops2

Enlightened
I thrown Olight S1 Baton into the ring.
Small enough to dissapear inside the pocket, which can be good or bad, and uses CR123 or 16340 battery

I recommend the S1 also. I use 16340 (RCR123). Based on specs, it's not as long as CR123, but long enough for me. The power of this light is amazing to me, especially for the size.

Take a look at the group buy for this. I bought one Olight RCR123 from Illumn for I think $4 for one battery.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other factors that influence a flashlight buying decision includes the Tint and CRI. Im a really big fan of the Nichia 219b.

Here is a photo taken indoors during daylight, 12 noon, partly cloudy.
IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

left to right 6000k XPG2, 4000K N219b, and 3000K XPG
Notice the 4000k Nichia has the closest match for the buckskin color in indoor daylight.

and for reference, a candle flame, which is about 2000K.
IMG_1615.JPG

Last edited: