Flashlight recommendation for outdoor use?

desidude

Newly Enlightened
Hello friends,

I hope everyone is doing well. My partner and I are moving to a new home - it has some acreage on it. Can anyone please help us suggest some good flashlights to use in the dusk/evening if we need to go outdoors.

We will not have outdoor lights as soon as we move.

Any suggestions please?

Also, do you have any tips on outdoor lighting, e.g. types of lights?

I appreciate your help.

Thank you,
desidude

desidude

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
__X__Up to $100.
____Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
__X__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
__X__I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
__X__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
__X__MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
_X___I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

___X_I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

__X_I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
__X__I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
__X__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
__X__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
__X__Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
__X__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_X___50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
__X__I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
__X__I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
_X___I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
_x___Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
__x__None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
__x__In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

desidude

Newly Enlightened
Hello Str8stroke,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

I have filled in the questionnaire to the best of my ability.

The primary purpose of the flashlight is to use to walk around the rural/farm area of a few acres in our property at night. For example, if we need to go check something in the bush etc.

We would also like one for working in the night, e.g. if we need to do something in the barn, or to work on the car or something.

I really appreciate your help.

Thank you,
desidude

maglite mike

Enlightened
Go to maglite.com I think the ML 50 would be a good choice for your needs. It comes in 2 or 3 C cell.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on your checklist, I think the Fenix E41 would fill your needs nicely. It runs on 4xAA batteries, has both 20 and 140 lumen modes for walking around your property at night along with a high of 400 lumens and momentary burst of 1000 lumens for when you need to see far across the property. Based on it's reflector size and LED, it should provide a nice balance between throw and flood.
Down the road, if you want to run it on rechargeable cells, just pick up some Panasonic Eneloop AA cells and charger and you're ready to go.

Robert

desidude

Newly Enlightened
Thank you maglite_m and RobertM, I appreciate your replies.

I called the local stores around me in Houston, TX, but they do not have the Fenix E41 in stock.

Are you allowed to share recommendations of online vendors?

Is the Nitecore EA41 Cree XM-L2 U2 LED equivalent to the Fenix E41?

Any other suggestions with a longer handle?

Thank you, your help is much appreciated.

desidude

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you allowed to share recommendations of online vendors?

I'll send you a PM.

Is the Nitecore EA41 Cree XM-L2 U2 LED equivalent to the Fenix E41?
I'm not really familiar with the Nitecore EA41. It does look like it is similar in that it's powered by 4xAA batteries. Both lights use different user interfaces. The Fenix is controlled by one switch whereas the Nitecore by two. I'd suggest checking out selfbuilt's excellent 4xAA flashlight roundup/review:
4xAA Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEOS, PROS & CONS, and more!

Robert

D6859

Enlightened
I recommend buying Panasonic Eneloops and a NiMH charger if you're going to use AA-sized batteries. They pay themselves back really quick. I guess you can get the kit with 4 Eneloops (AA) and a charger for 20$.

Have you considered lithium batteries? As selfbuilt puts it: "The 1x18650 flashlight class is probably the "sweet spot" for many flashlight enthusiasts. Typically also accepting 2xCR123A batteries, these lights are capable of fairly high output - and can last a lot longer than the single CR123A-class lights." There are lots of options in this class. If you go with li-ion, buy good protected batteries and a good charger.

I'd recommend headlamp for anything that you need to do with your hands free. Having the lights source in your head is soooo much more practical than moving it with you by hand. They make really good 1AA/2AA/18650 headlamps nowadays. Check out Headlamps forum section for more recommendations.

If you're interested in bying a lantern instead, check Fenix CL20 (2AA) or CL25R (18650 usb rechargeable).

dmattaponi

Enlightened
If you are going to consider one of the 4AA lights mentioned, also consider the Thrunite TN4A. I think it is superior to either the Fenix or the Nitecore, because 1) it has a constant turbo of 1150 lumens instead of only the momentary burst of the Fenix. 2) The electrical switch will not drain your battery in storage as will the Nitecore switch. 3) More affordable than either of the other two. I like the TN4A so much I've purchased 4 of them for around the house, car, go bag, bedroom.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Thrunite TN4A I have 3 of them they are just that good and they are only $50 run off of 4xAA(to get the advertised run times you need to use rechargeable AA NiMH cells of no less than 2500mah though). My suggestion is any of the different TN4A flavors(the difference is tint and range)and pop 4 Energizer Ultimate Lithiums in it and you should be good for awhile.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
Lots of good advice above. I will also add that you might consider a lightweight headlamp for those tasks that require two hands.

I have the Fenix HL-50 and it is perfect for those jobs around the house when you need to use two hands. It is very lightweight and you hardly know that it is there.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hl50-led-headlamp/

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best bet would be nip into your nearest trade store and buy a non-branded light that will suit your needs.I enjoy buying and using them and the money I save is fantastic.Here in the UK farm supply shops have a good range.