Surefire E2DL versus E2D LED ULTRA pocket clips?

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
I have read thread after thread talking about how weak the newer Surefire E-series 2-way clips are. Reports of them breaking off are common around here, and a few people have even said that they are DESIGNED to break away if they get snagged. It got me thinking, does the older E2D or E2DL short 1-way (head up) clip have a better reputation for durability? Would it be worth it to source the older clip and swap it over on my E2D LED Ultra?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
A longer clip is always going to be easier to break, so the shorter clip would hold up better (I would think).

Having said that, My 2-way clip(s) have held up well.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a clip guy myself, and I like the two way clips but think(like many others) that Surefire could have made them sturdier.

Reading about all those broken clips bugged me a lot so I took my LX2 clip off, stripped off some of the black oxide under it(near the attachment point), then degreased and put a 4X10mm wide blob of steel epoxy on it just under the "break-away" line.

I also just recently broke off about 6mm off the tip of the clip accidentally while trying to bend it down. After filing off the sharp edge, and with my own steel epoxy reinforcement I like my LX2 clip a lot better now.
DSC_0344.jpg

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
I'm a clip guy myself, and I like the two way clips but think(like many others) that Surefire could have made them sturdier.

Reading about all those broken clips bugged me a lot so I took my LX2 clip off, stripped off some of the black oxide under it(near the attachment point), then degreased and put a 4X10mm wide blob of steel epoxy on it just under the "break-away" line.

I also just recently broke off about 6mm off the tip of the clip accidentally while trying to bend it down. After filing off the sharp edge, and with my own steel epoxy reinforcement I like my LX2 clip a lot better now.

Interesting mod Robert - thanks for sharing. My clip is still fine, but it is unsettling to read these reports.

Qship1996

Enlightened
I have both the E1d and E2d ultra,and so far the clips have been fine.....if one breaks,a quick call to Surefire will have a new one in the mail for free.