18650 battery pack....help

romz26

Newly Enlightened
Hi. First post. I have been using 18650 batteries for a couple years now(in flashlights and vapes), but i have a question about charging battery packs.
I am planning to build a 5s8p battery pack with 18650 batteries. My question is charging. I am going to be adding balance leads to it, but what is a safe charge rate for them?
If the each battery has 2mah(will be checking when i buy them), and have 8 in parallel, will charging them at 1c or 1.5c be safe?

I do have my rc charger that can handle anything i throw at it. Fyi its a powerlab8.

Thanks

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Romz26,

Welcome to CPF.

With 8p of 2000 mAh round cells a decent charge rate would be in the 12 - 14 amp range.

Tom

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the exact cells in question. I prefer to charge at 1C as I'm in no hurry and it's generally good for the cells. However you can charge higher than 1C and many batteries support quite high charging rates.

I wonder though, would an RC style LiPo maybe suit better than a load of 18650's?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...&v=&sortlist=W&LiPoConfig=5&CatSortOrder=desc

5000mAh common and even 8000mAh available in 5S, with all the balance leads and an assumption of matched cells.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi. First post. I have been using 18650 batteries for a couple years now(in flashlights and vapes), but i have a question about charging battery packs.
I am planning to build a 5s8p battery pack with 18650 batteries. My question is charging. I am going to be adding balance leads to it, but what is a safe charge rate for them?
If the each battery has 2mah(will be checking when i buy them), and have 8 in parallel, will charging them at 1c or 1.5c be safe?

I do have my rc charger that can handle anything i throw at it. Fyi its a powerlab8.

Thanks

it depends on cells used. some cells like samsung 25R can be charged at 1C without killing it. some prefer 0.5C

if each cell is 2000mah, and you got 8 in parallel, then charging at 8A should be pretty safe

are you going to solder or spot weld?

romz26

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, glad i wont have to wait ages to charge the battery. Thats what i was afraid of.

Depends on the exact cells in question. I prefer to charge at 1C as I'm in no hurry and it's generally good for the cells. However you can charge higher than 1C and many batteries support quite high charging rates.

I wonder though, would an RC style LiPo maybe suit better than a load of 18650's?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...&v=&sortlist=W&LiPoConfig=5&CatSortOrder=desc

5000mAh common and even 8000mAh available in 5S, with all the balance leads and an assumption of matched cells.

I well i want to try something different. Yah i can probably use my 6s packs. But i heard these offer more for the weight.
it depends on cells used. some cells like samsung 25R can be charged at 1C without killing it. some prefer 0.5C

if each cell is 2000mah, and you got 8 in parallel, then charging at 8A should be pretty safe

are you going to solder or spot weld?
I plan on soldering it. Dont have a welder. Wish i did though.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, glad i wont have to wait ages to charge the battery. Thats what i was afraid of.

I well i want to try something different. Yah i can probably use my 6s packs. But i heard these offer more for the weight.

I plan on soldering it. Dont have a welder. Wish i did though.

that's me soldering. i do have a spot welder as well coz soldering isn't recommended. but if you go really fast the cells won't be damaged. yes i have tested soldered against unsoldered cells.