Show Your Fivemega

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maybe this thread will be more fruitful.

^^ the FM 3P sized body

^^ complete with genuine SF parts from NiteMods.
Emitter is a Malkoff M31W

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Not got much to bring to the party(yet) other than a cooly

I have a few spare 26650's and always liked the size/run times they give. 26650 type lights for me just feel so natural in hand, very comfy to hold. For now it has a CQvn in xp-g2 5000k flavour.
:)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ agreed.
A C size (or slightly oversized) is about the same size as a bicycle grip or baseball bat, which are sized for comfort and strength combined.

Nice light there Ven.
Oven mitts required? lol.

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing:

Most uses involve either one of the 1st 2 modes, so never had it blasting away in the 4th(high) mode for longer than a few minutes. The cooly does a mighty fine job of keeping it "cooly" with all the heat sinking and being all one part body/head. Only the tail cap can be removed from the light.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Elephant II with matching FM3X head. Both work great in combination. The low resistance battery carrier is very nice. The FM3X head also works on maglites. My Elephant II body doesn't seem to like maglites heads though.
I started with an Osram 64447 IRC bulb. Currently I am using a Osram 62138 (more throw, higher CCT), but the axial filament makes the hotspot too small. I will probably switch over to a Osram 64625 in the near future. It will generate a bigger spot and a few more lumens. These bulbs all have similar power draw when driven hard (20h bulb life is a good place to start).
The ample heatfins on the head and around the switch of the light allow it to run continously without overheating (outside in cooler weather). The large battery "pack" allows for 30+ minutes of runtime. These things were very important to me. The elphant II makes it possible by allowing for 8 18650s in a relatively compact form factor.

HS-14_zps0d88f090.jpg

HS-05_zps75f30620.jpg

HS-02_zps742019b1.jpg

2013-09-16-2578_zpsea699d91.jpg

003_Hotwire_von_The_driver_zps7f3fb7d1.jpg

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Elephant II with matching FM3X head. Both work great in combination. The low resistance battery carrier is very nice. The FM3X head also works on maglites. My Elephant II body doesn't seem to like maglites heads though.
I started with an Osram 64447 IRC bulb. Currently I am using a Osram 62138 (more throw, higher CCT), but the axial filament makes the hotspot too small. I will probably switch over to a Osram 64625 in the near future. It will generate a bigger spot and a few more lumens. These bulbs all have similar power draw when driven hard (20h bulb life is a good place to start).
The ample heatfins on the head and around the switch of the light allow it to run continously without overheating (outside in cooler weather). The large battery "pack" allows for 30+ minutes of runtime. These things were very important to me. The elphant II makes it possible by allowing for 8 18650s in a relatively compact form factor.

HS-14_zps0d88f090.jpg

HS-05_zps75f30620.jpg

HS-02_zps742019b1.jpg

2013-09-16-2578_zpsea699d91.jpg

003_Hotwire_von_The_driver_zps7f3fb7d1.jpg

Nice, what kind of lumens/cd does that thing put out?

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, what kind of lumens/cd does that thing put out?

With the Osram 64447 IRC @ 18.5V it produced around 60kcd and 3600 otf lumens (measured in a sphere). It beat three different Polarion PH50s (they produced around 3100-3400 otf lumens if I recall correctly).
With the currently installed Osram 62138 it produces less lumens, maybe around 2700-3000. The color temperature is higher though, the throw is much higher (smaller filament) and the bulb doesn't blacken. IRC bulbs don't like to be overdriven that much. Their glass becomes very cloudy after a few hours of use. Probably because the quartz glass is recrystalizing from too much heat. IRC bulbs also produce much yellower light (like normal household halogen bulbs) when overdriven compared to normal halogens.

I plan to switch over to Osram 64625 bulbs in the near future. These also draw around the same power and have a transverse (horizontal) filament. This makes the spot bigger. With axial filaments you get a very floody beam with a tiny spot which I don't like very much.

Last edited:

jdboy

Enlightened
FiveMega 3P, nice host.

116ucqv.jpg

11ki5w7.jpg

FiveMega Ehead/Ctail, fits a wide range of batteries and some of the best knurling I've seen. Only thing I'd like to have seen is an o-ring groove at the head.

25642mp.jpg

FiveMega 3P with 102mm extension. The extension works with any size 18560 I've tried. The 3P will work with 3400mah AW but not 3400mah/3500mah KeepPowers.

2alwfb.jpg

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
ID, you're running a 7212 and 2X16340's in that, aren't you? Have you tried to fit the Lightsaver Miser guts inside that tailcap? I recently got the Miser working in my 26650 E Series Fivemega.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
No sir. It's FM18500 E-E body running 3712 bulb.
RPM tail won't accept Miser cause it's designed for McClicky and miser is C tailcap size.
I have a plan on my mind to post all of the components from Jimmy's PhD and AlanB regulator just see if there is anyone willing to assemble something similar to AW softstart but for E size lights.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
No sir. It's FM18500 E-E body running 3712 bulb.
RPM tail won't accept Miser cause it's designed for McClicky and miser is C tailcap size.
I have a plan on my mind to post all of the components from Jimmy's PhD and AlanB regulator just see if there is anyone willing to assemble something similar to AW softstart but for E size lights.

Ah, ok got mixed up there. I too prefer the 3712, though since getting the miser guts working I have been running the 7212 lately.

What you describe would certainly be interesting to see in a E Series light, and that's something I would definitely buy if available.

scout24

Flashaholic
limenotlemon- I edited the photo out of your post because there was not a hint of Fivemega in it. And, if it's your pic, it's eight years old and from another forum, was posted there by a long-established member. If you just found CPF and have decided to participate, my apologies.