Zebralight SC62w

grinch27

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me why I can't find this light for sale anywhere?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's still on sale at the ZL website.

Is it though? I know the listing is still there but it shows backordered. I can't imagine they're actually building more of these since the SC63w came out, so I'd wager it never comes back into stock there. I admit its strange and confusing that they haven't taken the listing down yet, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

grinch27

Newly Enlightened
Is it though? I know the listing is still there but it shows backordered. I can't imagine they're actually building more of these since the SC63w came out, so I'd wager it never comes back into stock there. I admit its strange and confusing that they haven't taken the listing down yet, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
Is there any difference between the 2 models? Exactly I feel the same way, very confusing..

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any difference between the 2 models? Exactly I feel the same way, very confusing..

You mean between the SC62w and the SC63w? Lots technically, probably not a lot in actual use. Underneath, Zebralight mas moved to the XHP-class emitters which offer more output, but they also require a more sophisticated boost driver for proper operation. Zebralight has been building great boost drivers for years so this is just a normal progression for them and all indications are that they got it right, but its complicated and expensive electronics. For the end user, the result is about 20% more light output on the highest level, which is noticeable when held side-to-side, but not really a huge increase since our eyes don't detect light intensity in a linear fashion. Another minor difference is that the XHP35 in the newer light is slightly larger, so assuming no reflector changes it should be slightly floodier, or at least have a larger hotspot, than the SC62w's XM-L2 emitter. And then of course there's the battery fitment debate which I won't rehash here, but the newer light has tighter tolerances that make it a bit more picky about which batteries fit inside.

The bottom line, however, is that the older light is discontinued so if you want a small, 18650-powered Zebralight you really only have one choice - the new one. Unless you poke around and can buy an SC62w second-hand, of course.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lights on ZL's sites that are not going to be produced anymore say out of stock where as ones that say back ordered are available for order and will in likely be ran again.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean between the SC62w and the SC63w? Lots technically, probably not a lot in actual use. Underneath, Zebralight mas moved to the XHP-class emitters which offer more output, but they also require a more sophisticated boost driver for proper operation. Zebralight has been building great boost drivers for years so this is just a normal progression for them and all indications are that they got it right, but its complicated and expensive electronics. For the end user, the result is about 20% more light output on the highest level, which is noticeable when held side-to-side, but not really a huge increase since our eyes don't detect light intensity in a linear fashion. Another minor difference is that the XHP35 in the newer light is slightly larger, so assuming no reflector changes it should be slightly floodier, or at least have a larger hotspot, than the SC62w's XM-L2 emitter. And then of course there's the battery fitment debate which I won't rehash here, but the newer light has tighter tolerances that make it a bit more picky about which batteries fit inside.

The bottom line, however, is that the older light is discontinued so if you want a small, 18650-powered Zebralight you really only have one choice - the new one. Unless you poke around and can buy an SC62w second-hand, of course.

Where do you get this info? The SC62 is still available for purchase on their site and is backordered just like the SC63.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do you get this info? The SC62 is still available for purchase on their site and is backordered just like the SC63.

If you click "compare all models" on their site it takes you to a google spreadsheet with all their lights and the 62 series is listed now as "discontinued." While it is still on "backorder" status you can order and get one in a few weeks but I'm not sure how long they will continue to do this for the 62 lights.

grinch27

Newly Enlightened
So I can order the light on the website great! Thanks so much for the info I appreciate it!

markr6

Flashaholic
So I can order the light on the website great! Thanks so much for the info I appreciate it!

Yes. They both (SC62 and SC62w) say In Stock. I'm guessing once they're gone this time, they're gone for good.