Just Learned a Lesson on 18650 Batteries

RC620

Newly Enlightened
Based on the advice of this forum (which was outstanding by the way), I bought an ArmyTek Predator torch for night boating...Never thinking I'd get hooked on these darn things, I made the mistake of doing a little reading, and came across the Dereelight Nightmaster. I was considering the Marine Beam, but really didn't want something so large, and the Dereelight looked like an ideal torch to accompany my ArmyTek.

So, I decided to take the jump and buy one, along with the red LED pill and xSearcher head. It arrived in the mail today, and like a kid at a Ferrari dealer, I unpacked it and what a beautifully made piece of equipment it is. I installed one of my Panasonic 18650 3.7V/3400mAh batteries, clicked the switch, and nothing. So, I grabbed the manual, which sadly is the last thing I ever look at, and to my dismay, found that it calls for a "nipple top" battery.

I had no clue there were physical variations of the 18650 battery...So the question is, what is a comparable battery to my current Panasonic's that have a "nipple" top?

Thanks!

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick fix we do is use one of those rare earth batteries, about 1/8" tall x 1/4" diameter. It turns a flat top into a button top

Also called a neodymium magnet.

If you go this route you may want to secure to the positive terminal of the cell with some super glue to keep it from moving & potentially causing some unintended mayhem.

RC620

Newly Enlightened
Well, adding to the confusion, it looks like there are "flat" tops, "button" tops, and "nipple" tops. I have the "flat" top Panasonic 18650's where the contact is actually below the edge of the battery. Evidently the "button" top is wide and short, while the "nipple" top is like the top of a traditional AA cell battery.

The instructions clearly say "nipple" top, so how do you identify the correct version???? I don't want to experiment with $10 batteries...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Also called a neodymium magnet.

If you go this route you may want to secure to the positive terminal of the cell with some super glue to keep it from moving & potentially causing some unintended mayhem.

I've done the super glue trick. Using a small rare earth magnet about the same size as a button/nipple top, I added the glue carefully just to the edge of the magnet all the way around, being careful that none of it gets below the magnet. Works fine and stays put. Make sure that the magnet is not too tall, making the battery too long.

Bill

mdorian

Newly Enlightened
Or you could buy a ready made "Flat Top to Button Top Battery adapter"[h=1]
http://vapingcheap.com/flat-top-button-top-battery-adapter-2-49-usa/
[/h]
uT0hqvv.png

smiley-basic-gif

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
mdorian,
Thank you so much for letting me know about these button-top-adapters! I had never heard of them. I normally use AW brand flat-top cells, and I have two Fivemega custom 18650-to-E-series bezels, wherein the batteries did not make contact with the inside contact point of the bezels. I started out with the small magnets, but just didn't feel good about that (I didn't use the SuperGlue, Bullseyebill), so I ended up with some button-top Panasonic cells, but they didn't fit, so I had to peel the shrink-wrap off, which has always made me a little nervous. My AW 18650 cells fit, they just didn't make contact. When finances permit, I will toss the "stripped" Panasonic cells (I will probably put them in some empty prescription bottles first), and get some more protected AW 18650s.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some ideas.
In a pinch, you could cut some small copper tube, smash it and super glue.
I have used old copper pennies too. Cut or grind them down and glue. You get the idea.