Ive been using this for a couple of weeks now. Thought I'd report back...

Dogbytes

Newly Enlightened

Torch Factory Evo 67 Torch

The Evo range is Torch Factory's latest series of LED, rechargeable-battery torches aimed, no pun intended, at the hunting/lamping segment of the market. To that end the Evo is offered as a bare torch, with options to add charger, battery, etc. or as a kit including gun mounts and dual-mode pressure switch tail-cap.

The LED colour can be specified at time of ordering, the choices being white (Cree XP-G2), red or green (both Cree XP-E2). There's also an IR option for night vision.
The torches are completely modular, comprising the head (38, 50, 67 and 75mm all of which can be bought separately), LED pill which is fitted with a substantial, brass heat-sink, two-part body (to house either 1 or 2 18650 batteries) and tail-cap with click switch.

Whilst not in the Surefire/Maglite class in terms of finish, the Evo 67 I bought is a very nicely made torch. The quality of machining is good - no rough threads and although there are some sharp edges on the 'cooling fins' they aren't likely to cause any damage to the user. The knurling on the the body could be deeper too, but that's being a bit picky. O-rings are fitted where one would expect to find them and there seems no reason to believe that the torch shouldn't give good service in real- world conditions for a long time. If it doesn't, there's a 12 month warranty to fall back on. At the business end what appears to be an asymmetric lens focuses the beam giving the characteristic square image of the emitter as the beam is tightened.

I chose the Evo 67 with a red emitter, to go lamping rabbits with my Lurcher, more of which later. I was hoping the power and reflector size would enable me to use a red light whilst retaining a good throw. Basically, the bigger the lens/reflector, the longer the claimed range. I really wanted the 75mm version but they were out of stock when I ordered and I've never been one to wait particularly patiently - besides, I knew I could always add the 75mm head later, should it prove necessary (as it turns out, it won't be necessary!). Maximum range for the 67mm head is claimed to be 300-400 metres and that is easily the case even with the red emitter fitted.

In use there are a couple of minor niggles but this is a review so they're worth mentioning. They'd be easy enough to correct so perhaps they'll make their ways into later models.
First off, with a large head and both body sections fitted, the torch is significantly front-heavy. This wouldn't be an issue in a torch with a side switch but with the narrow body and a clicky switch in the tail cap - not a particularly sensitive one at that, I found it became an issue. The clicky switch had quite a stiff action and a long travel and I found it too uncomfortable to operate with my thumb and had to modify my grip to operate it with a forefinger. Even worse, the switch is ON/OFF, there is no momentary ON (there's a momentary OFF, but that's no substitute!). I want to be able to flick the light on for a quick look around without switching it on completely.

The other thing, and I suppose this is the nature of the beast, is that there is a long, long way to twist the head to get from wide beam to narrow beam. It seemed like several rotations. Compare that to the 1/4 turn of the latest Maglite. In practice I can live with it, I just set it to the size I want for the range I want - and then used a different light to avoid blinding myself with the reflected glory of the Evo when negotiating obstacles.

To go off on a bit of tangent, the use of different coloured lights when hunting various creatures is a bit of a controversial subject - there being no shortage of opinions to be found amongst hunters and on the Internet. Some say rabbits can't see the red end of the spectrum and can, therefore, be searched for and spotted without alarming them. The flip side of that is that, if they can't see the light, they don't 'freeze' in the beam. In my own. Very limited (ie last night!) experience, the rabbits could see it just fine and scuttle off but Impy, my Lurcher, couldn't see a damned thing in red light!

Fortunately, as it happens, my light was dispatched late as Trevor at Torch Factory had been ill. To make up for the fact that I'd taken the morning off work to sign for a parcel that didn't turn up, he not only refunded my next day delivery charge but also enclosed a green LED 'pill' gratis. I'll be trying that very soon. Whilst on the subject, anyone can do customer service when things are going right but it's when things go wrong that we see what people are really made of - and Torch Factory's customer service is 5 star. The green LED has proven excellent, in use, and the dog seems able to see the rabbits perfectly well.

Summary
Aside from a couple of minor niggles it's a great light. Said niggles could be fairly easily corrected and the Torch Factory Evo would be a very difficult light to fault at any price. At the price it's offered at, it is pretty difficult to fault as it is. If you're a 'Flashaholic' and you want to collect rather than use then no, it's not absolutely top drawer in terms of finish. However, if you're after a nicely made, well-priced torch, with a good range of accessories, proper after-sales service and spares back-up, then buy with confidence.

Dogbytes

Newly Enlightened
Nice writeup. Do you have any pictures? :welcome:

Thanks. I do have some pics but I really need to take some better ones. Also, I need to find out how to upload them from my computer rather than from a URL.