Budget purchases, I think I did good!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

Well, I excited to have some new "toys" heading my way in a few days. I did a LOT of research and I believe I made well informed decision purchasing the lights to fit my needs. I purchased a KLARUS XT11 XL-M2 (2XCR123) for use as a Carbine mounted light. A bit more than I had hoped to spend but, not too bad. Since the XT11 will be my first ever foray into the World of CR123, I figured that I might as well and go ahead and add a nice "budget" basic 1XCR123 EDC light to my collection so, I also bought a NITECORE MT 1C (1XCR123). God, it never ends because, since shipping was free, I also ordered an OLIGHT I3E (1XAAA) 90 Lumens and on the complete opposite end of the scale, a FENIX E01 (13 Lumens). Oooh, and a box of FIFTY CR123's. Included with the deal is a couple of "freebie" Coin battery (squeeze type) LED lights. On the whole, I think I did good with what I purchased. I'm pretty much a BUDGET shopper when it comes to buying Flashlights but, I feel comfortable now that I've got the bases covered having examples (at least two of each) AAA, AA, CR123's (and other assorted "D" Cell seldom used Maglite's/AA Maglites/LED Lanterns, etc.
Bring on the Zombie Apocalypse!

Regards,

SixCats!

GZire

Newly Enlightened
Hey SixCats, let me know how that turns out. I've been testing out some lights from Fenix, Eagletac, and Powertac for handhelds. My intent is to try them out on my AR next and see how (if) they hold up.

Also please let us know how well the light works at distance.

twin63

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you did pretty well. 50 CR123's should last you a while, especially if you utilize the low and medium modes on your MT1C. As for the Fenix E01, it's one of my most carried/used lights. Very robust and a battery seems to last forever. Enjoy your new toys:thumbsup:.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Thanks for the well wishes guys. GZ, I'm hoping the Klarus XT11 will work out well. Truthfully, I wanted to go with a bit smaller (perhaps even 1XCR123) size light but, being on a budget, I can't justify buying the likes of an Elzetta Alpha especially when it's only going to remain (ONE inch RING) mounted to a Carbine. I went with an ARSON MACHINE CO. one inch Ring mount which is quite minimalistic to keep weight/size down. The Klarus XT 11 was the only model I could find within my budget range that has a TWO Spring system design to help against shock. We shall see. Twin, I pretty excited about the MT1C. I've heard lots of good things about NITECORE lights. I very much like the fact that it's pretty straight forward/simple design. The Fenix E01 and the Olight I3E should also be fun. I can't believe the I3E is suppose to produce upwards of 90-100 Lumens for a little 1XAAA. The E01 I wanted so I would always have handy a tiny LONG RUNNING TIME light to get the most out of 1AAA cell. Heck, in complete darkness, 13 Lumens is plenty bright.

Regards,

SixCats!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hello Heavy,

LOL, Heavy my friend, you just opened up an entirely different "can of Worms"! That is to say, another one of my other favorite hobbies is collecting "Sharp" thingy's! Here is but ONE of my Knives.....a (Custom made) by Brian Efros Canadian (type/style) Hunting knife. Since this picture was taken, this blade now sports darker (African ? Exotic Wood slabs) and beautiful Mosaic Pins. http://brianefrosknives.com/blog/wp...065_682171328506918_6546590172150619674_n.jpg
I also have a vintage BEEF SPLITTER which looks very much like the (thank you/borrowed) picture here : https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2a/26/b6/2a26b6e1b9706318f3e82e1894bc32d2.jpg

BRAIN STORM! Do you think I could attach a Flashlight on that BEEF SPLITTER ? Oooooh.

Regards,
SixCats!

Last edited:

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I love the elliptical blade style. My favorite is the Grohmann GR1. It has dressed many deer over the years.

Bob

GrohmannR2TroutBird.jpg

http://www.gknives.com/index.php/products/outdoor/hunting-knives/1-original-design-182-detail

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi HH,

NICE! I've always wanted a Grohmann. I'm fond of the original model but, the smaller version is nice as well!

Regards,
SixCats!

Heavy

Newly Enlightened
Hello Heavy,

LOL, Heavy my friend, you just opened up an entirely different "can of Worms"! That is to say, another one of my other favorite hobbies is collecting "Sharp" thingy's! Here is but ONE of my Knives.....a (Custom made) by Brian Efros Canadian (type/style) Hunting knife. Since this picture was taken, this blade now sports darker (African ? Exotic Wood slabs) and beautiful Mosaic Pins. http://brianefrosknives.com/blog/wp...065_682171328506918_6546590172150619674_n.jpg
I also have a vintage BEEF SPLITTER which looks very much like the (thank you/borrowed) picture here : https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2a/26/b6/2a26b6e1b9706318f3e82e1894bc32d2.jpg

BRAIN STORM! Do you think I could attach a Flashlight on that BEEF SPLITTER ? Oooooh.

Regards,
SixCats!

Beautiful blade! Love that style. I think those handles look great as it is.

The beef splitter looks it would do some real zombie damage. :D

I'm an old knife collector myself. Busse, Strider, Hinderer, Reeves, Ralph etc...You know. The usual suspects. :thumbsup:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi Heavy,

Wow Dude! You own some SERIOUS quality knives! Sweeet! I mostly enjoy collecting "older" Carbon Steel knives (on the cheap). I love the older Carbon Steel Butcher Knives as well as Sabatier French Chef/Paring knives. I have this one old "I. Wilson" (six pin) handle knife (perhaps a Trade Knife) that I believe to be around one hundred and seventy five (or so) years old. I dig it! I also have several TOPS knives, a Morrison Pee Wee XL, an Original Japanese made SOG Seal Pup, a awesome Custom H & B Forge Spike Tomahawk and the list goes on and on and on. Among my favorites (similar to the one shown here) that was made by my friend Ken Hamilton.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2009/10/dutch-flamand-knife-with-sheath-by-ken.html

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture/Richardrudnicki/KenHamilton/

Interesting History regarding the Dutch Flamand Knife. Mine is a replica of an authentic Dutch Flamand Native American Trade knife found in Maine.
Oooh, check out this neat old Carbon steel "Old Hickory" knife. I found a (broken in half) rusted "Old Hickory Butcher Knife" in the trash. I knew there was a lot of life left in this old broken blade so, I sent the broken half (about seven inches broken blade) to a guy in TN and this is the end result : http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QDKQbV5G4SM/UxN6zJXD68I/AAAAAAAADyE/Dq0a3djJA8Q/s1600/IMG_7775.jpg Oooh Man, is it ever SHARP!

EXCITING NEWS! Today, Saturday 3/12/16 I received my new KLARUS XT11 Flashlight. Wow, it is BRIGHT! I mounted the XT11 on my "Arson Machine Co. ONE inch Ring (M-Lok system) which mounts directly onto the new Mag-Pul (M-Lok system) Carbine Hand Guard and....then I installed the XT11 into the Ring! Bingo! Beautiful fit! The entire combo of Hand Guard, Ring and Light is a fantastic match! This combo of parts is NOT......heavy/bulky. In fact, it's rather svelte, simple, solid, close to hand guard/barrel. I am more than please with this combo. Time will tell however how well the XT11 Light holds up as a Weapon light but, I
am liking this SOLID but "minimalist"combo set up!

Regards,
SixCats!

Last edited:

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
We always referred to that style of knife as a Canadian, not an elliptical. But I agree, that is a great style, and also carried one similar to that hunting.

I have always heard it referred to as a Canadian belt knife or D.H. Russell Canadian belt knife as well. I was just referring to the elliptical blade shape. It holds an edge well. I can usually dress half a dozen deer before it needs to be touched up.

Hi Heavy,

Wow Dude! You own some SERIOUS quality knives! Sweeet! I mostly enjoy collecting "older" Carbon Steel knives (on the cheap). I love the older Carbon Steel Butcher Knives as well as Sabatier French Chef/Paring knives. I have this one old "I. Wilson" (six pin) handle knife (perhaps a Trade Knife) that I believe to be around one hundred and seventy five (or so) years old. I dig it! I also have several TOPS knives, a Morrison Pee Wee XL, an Original Japanese made SOG Seal Pup, a awesome Custom H & B Forge Spike Tomahawk and the list goes on and on and on. Among my favorites (similar to the one shown here) that was made by my friend Ken Hamilton.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2009/10/dutch-flamand-knife-with-sheath-by-ken.html

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture/Richardrudnicki/KenHamilton/

Interesting History regarding the Dutch Flamand Knife. Mine is a replica of an authentic Dutch Flamand Native American Trade knife found in Maine.
Oooh, check out this neat old Carbon steel "Old Hickory" knife. I found a (broken in half) rusted "Old Hickory Butcher Knife" in the trash. I knew there was a lot of life left in this old broken blade so, I sent the broken half (about seven inches broken blade) to a guy in TN and this is the end result : http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QDKQbV5G4SM/UxN6zJXD68I/AAAAAAAADyE/Dq0a3djJA8Q/s1600/IMG_7775.jpg Oooh Man, is it ever SHARP!

Regards,
SixCats!

That Dutch Flamand knife is awesome. I had never heard of him. Thanks for sharing it.

Bob

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi Bob,

Thank you for the kind words about my "Dutch Flamand" Knife. It is one of my treasured items. Yes indeed, Ken Hamilton is a wonderful guy and Historian (especially) knowledgeable about North East Woods Indian people/tribes. Ken's Blacksmithing skills are also pretty special to say the least. If you look closely at this picture of Ken (decked out/dressed in Chief's clothing) you will notice a "Dutch Flamand" Knife hanging from Ken's Neck. I've learned a LOT from Ken regarding 17th. Century (and earlier) History and Life (life style) of the original Native People that once occupied much of the area here in Maine. Early on in my learning, I found it interesting that many of the Native Indians spoke French! http://321-wawebvarnish.newscyclecl...AINMENT/120739994/AR/0/AR-120739994.jpg?q=100

Regards,
SixCats!

GZire

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the well wishes guys. GZ, I'm hoping the Klarus XT11 will work out well. Truthfully, I wanted to go with a bit smaller (perhaps even 1XCR123) size light but, being on a budget, I can't justify buying the likes of an Elzetta Alpha especially when it's only going to remain (ONE inch RING) mounted to a Carbine. I went with an ARSON MACHINE CO. one inch Ring mount which is quite minimalistic to keep weight/size down. The Klarus XT 11 was the only model I could find within my budget range that has a TWO Spring system design to help against shock. We shall see. Twin, I pretty excited about the MT1C. I've heard lots of good things about NITECORE lights. I very much like the fact that it's pretty straight forward/simple design. The Fenix E01 and the Olight I3E should also be fun. I can't believe the I3E is suppose to produce upwards of 90-100 Lumens for a little 1XAAA. The E01 I wanted so I would always have handy a tiny LONG RUNNING TIME light to get the most out of 1AAA cell. Heck, in complete darkness, 13 Lumens is plenty bright.

Regards,

SixCats!

SixCats something to consider is how long those 123's will last with that light. Only recently going to a 500 lumen light myself and not really running a lot of testing on it I really never thought about how long the batteries would last.

The 500/600 lumen lights do hold up reasonably well with a 2 each 123 setup, but consider that with a single 123 you might not have anywhere near the sort of time at 500/600 lumens that you think. I've gone through more 123's in the past two months than I've gone through in the past 5 years because of the newer and more powerful lights. The 1000 lumen stuff really burns through those quickly, so much so that I'm actually considering changing all my stuff over to 18650 setups.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi GZ,

You bring up some good points. That is the reason I mostly use/carry good ol' regular AA or AAA Alkaline/Lithium based Flashlights most all the time. As far as a mounted Carbine light (KLARUS XT11) goes, yes indeed, it is BRIGHT, VERY BRIGHT but, in my way of thinking, the "Tactical" light won't even be engaged but for a very brief period of time (i.e. target ID). Yep, I figured the XT11 being such a bright light it would indeed (as you said) burn through batteries in a hurry so, I bought a box of 50 CR123's. Nevertheless, I am going to be very.....judicious when using any CR123 light. Thanks.

Regards,
SixCats!