strange and fun experience tonight 3/10/16

boo

Newly Enlightened
I was outside in the dark with my dog. I had my Sunwayman D40A in my hand. A helicopter flew over. I shined my light up in the air. " Not at the helicopter".
The helicopter started circling me. He/they circled me at least 10 times. I was hoping they would spot light me as I was going to wave at them. They never put the light on me.
At about circle 5, I ran inside and got me Noctigon Meteor. I was lighting up two large suger maples in my yard. They just kept circling.
Every time the copter got close, I would kill my light.
I had fun with them. I suspect it was a police helicopter.
Yes, I know a person should never shine a flashlight or laser at an aircraft. I was careful and did not shine my light directly at the helicopter.
Now I wish I had a good thrower like an Acebeam K70.
I have flown in a helicopter before. At low altitude everything looks flat and you can see things good.
I know they saw my light good.
I only used a straight beam. No SOS, no strobe.
It is about an hour later and no police have showed at my door.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Big bro is watching.

Last night I was shining my light up to tree tops looking for animal eyes when I saw in the distance about 100 yards off 2 flashlights in the distance. They had like maybe 10-20 lumens it appeared. And apparently they didn't notice me.

I turned out mine and walked closer. Turns out it was 2 kids maybe 10-12 years old frantically looking for something. I eased up to about 50' away while they were looking on the ground and suddenly lit up the woods in their area.

Obviously they did not want anybody to know they were there as they instantly turned off their flashlights and tried to hide. I had 'em dead to rights if I was 'the man.'

I turned my light back to tree tops (as if I hadn't seen those 2 lads) and kept going kinda chuckling.
Kinda hard to hide from a Malkoff'd Mag 50-100' away.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
I WOULD NOT get in a habit of doing that! On the other hand your lights are not THROWERS and would be unlikely to reach an aircraft.,,unless they were under 1500 feet.

I Have a dozen modded throwers. A few occasions I have reached a helicopter or plane,making sure they are at least 3000 feet in elevation so not much light is shed on them. I am a good estimate of elevation! I have 4 throwers that will reach between 4000 and ~ 5700 ft.[TK61vn V4 750Kcd/1732m/ 1 mile 134yds./1894yards/5682ft.] :thumbsup:

Last edited:

xzel87

Enlightened
Was walking along the beach after sundown and noticed a helicopter (definitely below 1000 feet) going up and down the 3KM or so beach, seems to be looking for something or spotting for something.

Turned on my BLF A6 on strobe and pointed at it for maybe 5 seconds. It immediately turned around and spotlighted me. I waved both my hands like an idiot and did a "Peace" sign with the hand not holding the light. Spotlight stayed on me for maybe 10 seconds more then it went back to what it was doing.

Fun night. FYI in my area it's no big deal to be doing that. Not sure about high-powered lasers though.

mdorian

Newly Enlightened
The helicopter started circling me. He/they circled me at least 10 times. I was hoping they would spot light me as I was going to wave at them. They never put the light on me.

No light? Maybe FLIR on board helicopter?

SanDiegoFLIR1.jpg

ZLkkiyu.png
smiley-basic-gif

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
This is is the last message from Boo

I hear a helicopter over head. It sounds like the helicopter from last night. I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :poof:

Don't worry. They can only hold him for 72 hours without charging him.

:lolsign:
Bob

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, as a Flight Paramedic, PLEASE, DEAR GOD PLEASE, DO NOT "light up" a helicopter, especially if it is flying low, possibly looking for a landing zone/area. If you "hit" the pilots eyes, he is now effectively blind, as well as any of the crew you "hit", as we are also looking for any obstacles, etc.. If the crew is using NVG's, this is what would happen.....

http://mentalfloss.com/article/65424/what-pilots-see-when-you-shine-laser-pointer-aircraft