put EDC through washing machine / dryer, what now?

GrandPixel

Newly Enlightened
I put my Nitecore EC11 through the washing machine and dryer. When I took it out the light was on, :p. I figured I'd just throw the 18350 in the garbage. My spare 18350 quit working a while back, so that was the only one I had. I haven't tried to turn the light on since then. It's been sitting with the battery compartment open for about 5 days I think. Everything looks normal, don't see any moisture or rust or anything. I just ordered some Efest and AW 18350 today (along with a set of Samsung 30Q and LG HG2 18650 for my TN36-UT). Next week when I receive the batteries I'll try it out.

But I was wondering, is this the sort of thing that would typically damage a light?

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
I put my Nitecore EC11 through the washing machine and dryer. When I took it out the light was on, :p. I figured I'd just throw the 18350 in the garbage. My spare 18350 quit working a while back, so that was the only one I had. I haven't tried to turn the light on since then. It's been sitting with the battery compartment open for about 5 days I think. I just ordered some Efest and AW 18350 today (along with a set of Samsung 30Q and a set of LG HG2 for my TN36-UT). Next week when I receive the batteries I'll try it out.

But I was wondering, is this the sort of thing that would typically damage a light?

Depends. Sometimes they run fine sometimes not. Out of the lights I've owned a ZL SC32, Fenix PD20 and a 47 123 Mini have been through the wash that I can remember. The SC32 is still running to this day, the PD20 was DOA and the Mini lasted for about an hour until it dropped dead. Best chance for survivability with any electronic device exposed to liquids is to whack the light in a ziploc bag filed with rice and leave it for 24 to 48 hours. Saved a few lights this way.

teacher

Newly Enlightened
I put my Nitecore EC11 through the washing machine and dryer. When I took it out the light was on, :p. I figured I'd just throw the 18350 in the garbage. ....... I haven't tried to turn the light on since then. It's been sitting with the battery compartment open for about 5 days I think. Everything looks normal, don't see any moisture or rust or anything. .....
If the light was still working when you "took it out" why would you throw the 18350 in the garbage? You said everything looks normal.. no moisture or rust or anything. It sounds like the light did just fine. Use it.......

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light was still working when you "took it out" why would you throw the 18350 in the garbage? You said everything looks normal.. no moisture or rust or anything. It sounds like the light did just fine. Use it.......

This.

The EC11 is a waterproof light. It has o-rings to keep moisture out, and its internal electronics should easily survive the heat from the dryer.

When you took it out it worked fine. It was on (suggesting the battery had not run dangerously low), and you haven't noticed any moisture inside (suggesting the o-rings held). Sounds like its fine.

teacher

Newly Enlightened
This.

The EC11 is a waterproof light. It has o-rings to keep moisture out, and its internal electronics should easily survive the heat from the dryer.

When you took it out it worked fine. It was on (suggesting the battery had not run dangerously low), and you haven't noticed any moisture inside (suggesting the o-rings held). Sounds like its fine.
Exactly... :thumbsup:

Latest posts