Fenix TK35 powers on EXTREMELY dim

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Just went to put new batteries (Tenergy) in my good old TK35. The light powered on with a brief flash and then nothing. Pressed power again and another single strobe, then off. Tried using another set of batteries.. Same thing. Then the light just started powering on at probably about 1 lumen. Cannot change modes or anything. It just stays at 1 lumen until I power it off. I used the same batteries in my TK35UE and it works fine. No issues at all. Any ideas?

kj2

Flashaholic
Well, that is weird. To be sure, everything is cleaned and tightened?
My TK35 had a broken battery carrier. No idea when that happened, because I baby my lights. Simple batter carrier replacement did the trick.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Well, that is weird. To be sure, everything is cleaned and tightened?
My TK35 had a broken battery carrier. No idea when that happened, because I baby my lights. Simple batter carrier replacement did the trick.

Yah, I swapped carriers/heads with my TK35UE. Same results regardless of which is used. Either work fine in the TK35UE. All contacts are clean.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting. Okay good on you for checking out the battery carrier and making sure the contact points are clean. How about the head of the light itself? Have you ever unscrewed the TK35's head and gone over the heads contact points? Could also be a switch problem. Could also be a Tenergy problem. Only Tenergy's I have are D NiMH's they work well. What brand of cell were you using before these new Tenergy's? Even though it could be a switch issue or simply a dirty head I suspect that if you put some long fat Keeppower or Orbtronic cells in the light itd work fine.

Does not sound like a damaged driver just sounds like a connection issue. Good luck...

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Contacted Fenix...Great customer support (not). Gave them a detailed explanation of the issue and requested a replacement... I was asked if my batteries were charged. LOL

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm interesting. The only light I have ever had an issue with was one of my beat to death PD35's. The lower modes would flicker on then go out only turbo worked. I contacted Fenix CS via email. They got back to me the next day which was surprising asking for the serial number of the light. I emailed them the lights serial number. Next day I get another response from them. I was instructed to send the light to an address in New York state for free repair. Found that surprising no sending it back to China! To my total surprise the light showed back up in my mailbox in just under two weeks. They nearly totally rebuilt the light for free. It now works even a bit better than when I first got it. The battery carrier in the TK35 I believe has a metal strip built into the plastic that connects both ends of the carrier. You may just have a bad carrier. The TK75 carrier is the same way. Good luck and keep us posted.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tenergy aren't the best cells when it comes to 18650. It sounds like your cells were over charged and blew the driver. This is based upon your description. I have seen it before where the outcome was the same as you described.