Odor block paint / primer

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I need to paint an area (normal home plaster board wall) with an odor blocking paint / sealer / primer type material.

It is ideal if it is water based, as my wife is quite allergic to oil based paints.

I am familiar with the BIN and Kills. Are these the best or is there something I should consider. I need it to really work well and not have to repeat the job.

Thanks

Harry

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bin is actually shellac based, and not oil. It does have a strong odor while drying, requiring some ventilation. Cleanup is done with ammonia. I have found nothing better for sealing stains and odors.
i've been a remodeling contractor for a few decades now, and use it when nothing else, including Kilz max, will work.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Bin is actually shellac based, and not oil. It does have a strong odor while drying, requiring some ventilation. Cleanup is done with ammonia. I have found nothing better for sealing stains and odors.
i've been a remodeling contractor for a few decades now, and use it when nothing else, including Kilz max, will work.
The company I used to work for only used Zinsser, and more than quite a few construction/painting forums that ask about these almost all say Zinsser.

Of course for the homeowner well, Your Methods May Vary accordingly so. Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy! :cool:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some searching around the Rustoleum web site (maker of bin / zinsser). They had a data sheet comparing their different "sealer type" products for "odor" vs "stain coverage". Interestingly, most of their products that I thought were true "sealers" for odor and stains - aren't recommended as such. Apparently, the original was hard to beat - even 70 years later.

The only two types for odor are their original, and this one B-I-N® Advanced Synthetic Shellac Sealer Clear. (There are white pigmented versions as well). The others are primarily for stain coverage and not recommended for odor control. I wonder how many people are like me and purchase any of the primer / sealers thinking that they are all more or less the same.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a funny twist on how life actually works, the guy who wrote the painting quote talked up "Bin Synthetic", and his father (the actual painter) showed up with Killz ultimate and swore by it.

We ended up putting on 2 coats of each, just to give it the best shot of working. It is a project still in progress, and it will be weeks until we can smell anything other than paint.