I tried to convince myself that I didn't have a problem.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am the sort of person that deliberately turns off the house lights so that I can use my flashlight, I pray for the Winter so that I can go for walks in the dark. Which, while completely understandable, is a little weird.
So when I came downstairs the other night, before going to bed to turn off the downstairs speakers, I left the lights off and then thought that it was silly to use my light, there was a bit of light coming from the power light on the speakers so I just thought I'd try and make do without pandering to my light addiction.
I almost made it to the speakers but stubbed my little toe on a beer crate (I make beer for a living). I managed to tear the nail off which bloody hurts, all just because I thought I could cope without my light. Never again, proudly hooked
Anyone else?
P

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used to crash into stuff, squint a lot and suffer blurred vision during my non flashaholic days.

Now I've lights...
Still crash into stuff, squint and have blurred vision at least the stuff I struggle to see is all lit up better.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I had a computer uninterruptible power supply in my living room, waiting to be donated because I bought a bigger one. Kicked it in the dark with a bare foot. I had to go to the doctor, then the x-ray place, and while it ended up not being broken, it hurt off and on for a year. I'm not sure if the better lesson was to use a light, or not leaving things in the path :)

On the river, we call that stuff a "hazard to navigation."

Capolini

Banned
We are not weird,we are efficient and creative!

I rarely use my house lights. I have about 7 or 8 EDC lights that I rotate for nightly use,which is walking around the house and last bathroom break for Capo!

I have designated lights under a few lamps[on low],my BST has been demoted as a kitchen light, and my s10 and s20 attached to the light fixtures in the bathrooms on ml or low!!..You get the picture.

The most fun is walking my Husky on the hiking trails w/ my modded throwers and seeing the light travel hundreds and hundreds of yards/meters! Capo,my Siberian is an expert by now in following my light as I search for deer, foxes, g'hogs. ect!!

HOPE YOUR TOE HEALS QUICKLY!! Lesson..ALWAYS HAVE YOUR EDC LIGHT ON!:D

Minimoog

Enlightened
I have resorted to pulling the curtains in the day to give me some valuable torch time, testing tints, uprated bulbs etc., or just because I couldn't wait to the evening.

Frdlite

Newly Enlightened
My wife tells me why do you close all the blinds it's so dark in the house then she sees my lights on my desk and says nevermind for asking

xzel87

Enlightened
What's with all the heavy damage inflicted on your toes when you guys bump into something in the dark?...I've stubbed my toes countless times and never had huge damage from it before. If it's dark and I'm unsure of steps I normally walk very lightly, is that the reason?

Just trying to be normal so I use the light switches as usual at home.

D6859

Enlightened
I guess my flashaholism derives from the bad childhood memories. When I was a kid and going to sleep one night, I turned the lights off and started to walk towards my bed. Living in a 6-person family I had become quite good at moving in the house without disturbing others by using the lights so I guess I was too confident. This time, though, I tripped on the carpet and fell. I hit the part of my nose between the eyes to a chair. It hurt really much and I still can feel the spot in my nose where the chair hit me, but I don't recall bleeding. After that, I think, I bought my first own flashlight and made sure I had nothing on my way when moving in the dark.

Those old flashlights had always either broken bulb or dead (and corroded) batteries in. Also the switch often got corroded too which resulted in flickering light. I think I'm now over-compensating that I've had to live through with such bad flashlights in rural area which is damn dark during the winter nights. I don't have problem but I've become so attached to my EDC in 3 years that I feel naked without it in my pocket.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
What's with all the heavy damage inflicted on your toes when you guys bump into something in the dark?...I've stubbed my toes countless times and never had huge damage from it before. If it's dark and I'm unsure of steps I normally walk very lightly, is that the reason?

Just trying to be normal so I use the light switches as usual at home.

Can't speak for others, but in my case old bones equal brittle bones.

Nah, seriously when you go around goose-stepping in darkness, sooner or later something gets smashed.

ven

Flashaholic
Peter, i dont know how to break this to you, but simply put.............you are normal. Either that or we are all not normal!!

We dont always get a chance to go outdoors and use our lights for a bit of fun(dog walkers excluded as there is no not walking the dog!! regardless of anything or be looked at in a very disgruntled dog face..............that only dogs can do :laughing: ) due to weather/work/general life/kids getting in the way.

So with all your malkoff goodness:cool:, why not have any excuse to enjoy/use indoors! What a waste not to imho........get those lights out and feel for you with the clocks going forward this weekend P.

Yes toes can take a hit, i must stub my toe at least once a week! and most recent on a ladder going into the loft, right on the end of an old broken left big toe(on the bone and shot pain right through the toe and into the foot)...................right dead on an alloy ladder foot..............hopping!!! Kangaroos had nothing on me! i am sure i might have said "oh blast" and "deary me" :rolleyes:

I had no lights on and deserved every second of the hour of throbbing, especially as its close to 30-40 lights! :rolleyes:

Solution is so simple, just make sure a light is in hand or in pocket at the ready before turning the light off,turn the flashlight on before turning the light out to have less of an effect on the night vision/dilation .

I love hindsight, so much pain could be saved.............:ironic:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, dogwalking is my favourite especially with a light. They don't understand why their walk gets later every day.
I do always have an MD2 in my pocket, it was just a "prove you're not addicted moment". I accept that I am.
Don't know if I'm glad to be Normal though.
P

ven

Flashaholic
Yeah, dogwalking is my favourite especially with a light. They don't understand why their walk gets later every day.

:laughing: love it:twothumbs
Don't know if I'm glad to be Normal though.

P

Well thats another easy one, dont be normal, normal is boring.............

All what matters is that you enjoy your flashlight time!

You probably spend £1k+ on a TV, its only normal to watch it:) May spend £2k on a watch.............heck wear it and always be admiring it even though you know the time as it was only a minute ago you looked:)

I will soon be part of the P club, starts with M and ends in F.............i cant wait tbh, i am excited over a little bit of brass with an LED in..........

It will be my lowest output drop in i own(excluding the standard 6v SF bulbs), maybe 3500-4000lm less than my highest output drop in..............yet cant wait!

Your dog/s are not going to be happy Easter Sunday................another hour they will have to wait:ohgeez:

I accept lots of things, i am me, thats it.............far from perfect, useless with money...........always have to be early and never late...........do anything for anyone...........dont like being told what to do! Big softy at heart..........i am me, i do get annoyed easy with myself too :laughing:

What ever you want to be P, i will join your club:thumbsup:

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
I guess my flashaholism derives from the bad childhood memories.

Mine comes from spending time in places with the lovely combination of poor household electrical connections and giant cockroaches. Now I always have a flashlight by my bed running in moonlight mode so I can grab it instantly.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in an large very old farm house. Even at noon time there are countless dark corners and crevices all throughout the house. I always have a light on me. They are all over my house on every floor, in my car etc. I to wait for dark to come so I can pull out my bigger lights. I have a very large yard that is backed up to woods. Love being able to survey my huge side and back yards. Woods animals are constantly making their way through the woods behind the tall fence at the edge of the yard. It is very nice being able to pull out a 1000 lumen light and identify what is making the noises back there. A couple of times it was kids drinking malt liquor I lit them up and they ran like hell.

Love taking my big lights to the local parks along the Potomac river at night and being able to light up the other side of the park hundreds of meters away. Love looking out over the Potomac at night with my big long range lights and being able to light up buoys and small boats etc. Love being able to illuminate the Maryland waterfront on the other side of the river(M3XS-UT). So I feel ya brother nothings wrong this is normal