Help, Cant Decide Arc4 or L$

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys I need help, I've sold enough of my toys to buy one new light. I just can't decide between the Arc4 and Surefire L4. I like the gadget factor and technolgy of the Arc but also like the versitlity of the L4, in that if I pick up a e1 I'll have three+ options,( l4, e2,e1 and TW4) What do you guys think? I currently have a G2, LSH-P, Arc AAA, Arc AA, and Twin Task 1L.

Patrick

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 will be a better thrower but how important is pocketability? Arc4 wins there.
Also keep in mind that not every KL4 makes a good TW4 candidate.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
how do you get E2 from E1? you cannot use the bulb from E1 in E2. Also, that assuming you get yourself ANOTHER light (E1) then you get the versatility. but well, for the price of ARC+, you can get both the L4 and E1. However, personally i would prefer the Arc4+ than the other simply because it is the most advanced and kewl light that i know of. don't like the shape of L4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is also still subject to the Luxeon lottery.
The Arc4 claims to have solved this.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
The L4 will be a better thrower

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm
from this link , the arc4 showed to be a better thrower than the L4 (true, it is in the highest setting, but better throw,nonetheless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), though for the amount of light produced, L4 is the better one.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
depends on your needs...

the arc4 is the better edc, because although it isn't as bright, it's smaller, muuuuch longer runtime, and fits various needs.

err, buy both? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
I guess my bigest question is how differant from the LSH-P is the Arc4. Other than the 16 levels and programablity is the amount of light a lot more than the LS or in most modes will it be equivelent to what I have now? I like the idea of the 5w with all that light.

Geode

Enlightened
I am in the same position as you and chose the Arc4+ (to be purchased). My key decision criteria was the size of the Arc4+ - I have an E2e and it is a jacket pocket only light for me. Besides the pocketability is the multi-level output capability. However, you could carry the L4 and an Arc AAA and do just fine.

Of some importance is the amount of heat build up in the L4 - too much for my taste. IIRC, Mr. bulk mentioned that it got up to 160 degrees F after 5 minutes of constant on. On occasion, my EDC light stays constantly on for a while.

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
Geode,
Thanks, The heat factor helps a lot. I also looked at the beamshot thread and it appears the Arc4 puts out a lot more lightthan the LS. I am now leaning towards the Arc. This will be the most I have spent on a light and am very concerned about getting the most for my $$. Now if only I knew when the Arc5 was coming, but I don't think I can wait that long.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARC5 won't prolly come after about 1 year or so, judging from how backlogged arc on their new products and developing the existing ones.

kj

Enlightened
I would suggest selling LSH-P and buying both Arc4 and L4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, regarding the throw, I think shiftd is correct. Based on my lux meter readings, both record 700~800 lux at 1 meter.

Geode

Enlightened
Patrick,

kj has a point about the overlap between the Arc4 and the LSH-P. I have an LSL, but before even considering selling it, I want the Arc4 in hand to compare beams, compare how it carries, etc. Besides, the LSL is now discontinued.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the Arc4 and L4 are about equal in throw. The L4 is more powerful but the Arc4 has a narrower beam.

amv

Newly Enlightened
I think he said E2 because he was thinking about putting an e1 head on the L4 body. Is this possible?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind the LSH-P is using a collimating optic whereas the Arc4 has a (very good) reflector. Apples and oranges.

Personally, I'd go with the Arc4+, sell the LSH-P and build or buy a 5w PM6/McModule which will give better performance than the L4 at half the cost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jon

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
L4 and ARC4+ represent in my opinion the couple of the year that it is absolutely necessary to have!
They are very different one and the other, of share their size, their regulation and the power of the led. Between the two, choices is not simple, my part : I chose both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Slaro

Newly Enlightened
The L4 is larger, brighter, and goes through batteries fast but L4 will give you the "wow" factor. I have not tried the Arc4 yet but that may be what your looking for in terms of in a EDC.

Reno

Enlightened
IMO, the L4 is a much better EDC when used with Pila rechargeables. I personally won't buy a new toy from Arc flashlight until they produce a rechargeable EDC, sporting a 5w that can throw, form factor aside (the L4 is far from BIG)

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
The L4 is also still subject to the Luxeon lottery.
The Arc4 claims to have solved this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a green tinted Arc4+. I hope to have time to ship it back to Arc tomorrow.