Flashlight Review: The Lumintact G700. An honest look at the flashlight with jokes.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Review: Lumintac G700

No, this was not commissioned by the manufacturer. It's an honest look at the light you see ads for everywhere on the net. I compare it to a cheap clone, and find there's not much difference. I go over runtimes, operation, and test the output levels. Spoiler alert, it's only about 300 lumens. There's a bit of language in it, and I don't take the review that seriously- so make sure you know that before you go in.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review! Looks like a great little light!

I was gonna buy a M43 Vinh Driver VNX2 Meteor, to complement my other Vinh M43 stock driver light, but it will have to wait until I land this handy monster!

Well, back to my film school studies; I have an exam in the morning.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Fake, the shadowhawk my co worker got (after a month of waiting) clearly had a bright purple tint, not a blue one! Clearly those misadvertised > 300 lumen lights are knockoffs and the real ones are over 9000 lumens. They use pictures of other flashlights in their advertising because the sheer brightness of a real shadowhawk flashlight would overexpose and damage the camera... even when off. (The reason why they often show elzetta flashlights for marketing).

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing:

Best bit about the light.................7 mins of entertainment :twothumbs

mhanlen

Enlightened
Fake, the shadowhawk my co worker got (after a month of waiting) clearly had a bright purple tint, not a blue one! Clearly those misadvertised > 300 lumen lights are knockoffs and the real ones are over 9000 lumens. They use pictures of other flashlights in their advertising because the sheer brightness of a real shadowhawk flashlight would overexpose and damage the camera... even when off. (The reason why they often show elzetta flashlights for marketing).

Ahh... your coworker must have the rare hyperviolet edition. Yes, the only reason I didn't damage the camera is because it was a FAKE. Don't tell anyone though.

The flashlight for believers. Funny review.

It's nearly a miracle!

:laughing:

Best bit about the light.................7 mins of entertainment :twothumbs

Thanks! I tried to keep it fast and funny. Hope it worked!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Review: Lumintac G700

No, this was not commissioned by the manufacturer. It's an honest look at the light you see ads for everywhere on the net. I compare it to a cheap clone, and find there's not much difference.
Mark,
Thanks for a great and entertaining review. :thumbsup:

It seems that just two weeks ago, my son showed me one of the ads. He thought that it was interesting, but wondered if it was real.

Last week, I was gifted one, from a friend, who knew that I liked flashlights. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I thought he was scammed. I didn't ask what he paid for it. I found it interesting that there are many ebay-ers who advertise their version "as good as the G700" or "3x brighter than the G700". It's like the G700 set the standard. Like a real quality light like Maglite, and Surefire set the standard years ago.

At any rate, my impressions of the G700 was that the zoom function worked pretty smoothly, and that it was an OK light. I wondered if there was any difference between it and the others, but wasn't about to buy any more of them to find out. Therefore, I really appreciate your efforts, and willingness to do so. :thumbsup:

I sent my friend an 18650 protected cell, and charger, and ordered a pair of Cree XM-L2 emitters on 20mm stars, so that we can swap them in. My light was pulling 1400 ma, or there abouts, and an XM-L2 T6-3B @ 1400 ma should do about 500 lumens with a nice neutral tint. It looks like the driver is just a press fit, so I am not going to fool with that.

Last edited:

mhanlen

Enlightened
How they'd get it 3 times as bright I don't know! All your statements are accurate. This is a loaner light, so I didn't fully disassemble the pill... But I noticed the meco clone has a hollow pill. The g700 and meco both have press for drivers. The zooming action was fairly smooth on the G700, less so on the meco. Since I have no way of knowing lumitacs QC, and their reputation for shady business practices- I didn't comment on fit and finish much.

The most important thing to remember though when buying common designs like this... Is they can vary in quality and even build parts... From one batch to another. Who knows if the blue tint in my light will be there in every other version. Maybe some version have hollow pills and some don't.

Poppy

Flashaholic
<SNIP>

The most important thing to remember though when buying common designs like this... Is they can vary in quality and even build parts... From one batch to another. Who knows if the blue tint in my light will be there in every other version. Maybe some version have hollow pills and some don't.
Looking at your video, mine has the same blue tint. I wondered if it was the optic lens, so I removed it, and the blue tint was definitely from the LED.

I have a cheap zoomie headlamp that has multiple rings in the beam when zoomed out, (wide beam). So I was pleased when I noticed that my G700 had a nicer beam, and even when -wide-, there wasn't the doughnut hole that you might see in a maglite, nor were there multiple rings. Yeah, it does hollow out some, a little bit, in the middle, but not so badly to be disturbing for casual use. You'd really only see it if you were giving the beam a critical review. It was definitely better than my cheap zoomie headlamp. In your video comparison, the beam of the G700 compares well to the nebo. As you say, quality may vary even within the same brand, I wonder if their optics are typically better? OR is it just the luck of the draw, and I got lucky?

I am looking forward to putting a better LED in there.

mhanlen

Enlightened
The optics on the G700 are defintely better... I think the lens on the Meco is ill fitting. I have owned better zooming lights. I really like my Brinyte, after I put a new driver and better throwing emitter in it... which absolutely kills both of these lights... that's only a $30 light, but about $50 after parts.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
My grandfather bought two of them for $30 each. I didn't want to say that he got scammed but I didn't want to take one that I would never use. When he showed me the light zoomed out it was fairly impressive as a flood light but zooming it in was clearly loosing a huge ammount of light. I may have to try swapping the LED for him or otherwise try getting my hands on a higher quality zooming light for him.

mhanlen

Enlightened
My grandfather bought two of them for $30 each. I didn't want to say that he got scammed but I didn't want to take one that I would never use. When he showed me the light zoomed out it was fairly impressive as a flood light but zooming it in was clearly loosing a huge ammount of light. I may have to try swapping the LED for him or otherwise try getting my hands on a higher quality zooming light for him.

Yeah.... Zoomies are like that. You loose a lot of light, but it really improves the throw. I have a modded brinyte that outputs 184kcd when zoomed in.

Poppy

Flashaholic
My garage doors aren't pure white, they are a little grey-white. There is probably a little blue tint mixed into the paint (although I can't discern it). A gentleman once told me that "ceiling white" has a little blue tint mixed in it. That makes it appear whiter!

At any rate, I got and swapped in a Cree XM-L2 T6-3B emitter today and took a couple of pictures.

Yes... the LatticeBright LED was blue white, but to my eyes it wasn't as blue as my cell phone camera picked up. The phone has ONLY an "auto white balance" setting, so I couldn't modify it.
TPxeMYTwJtY2w87mIAbIgDOXh86VP5r6WlgsJke3u4P9AvPP73Iex8eQeIOe0YCfayXPl3s3kqfZe5OcitQRXfB-woEAIqLbvISGOR69QaT0HqtN0N5pUoebEtGVMrRJDO3DQYwa3oGJ_wQPuM_hM5PDddAEpXsiQyhoAc8DbbbFrydYlfqKTuZnkPZbBuOBBrzG3tY2rhomBsHy-qI13qB4Y30Z48px5nodA1rSImKWzq93Z5fDL1E9rGs2WnNMF_a0E0mYpw5tl070ZEl6sJnDhw0pFVpwyiXL_dYIW3PM5b9q_QJBqpm5xMJrftz4u_Hy1qJ6sCi2bZgKHeKG7hp3v-IckRzW78xp4oCG3z1jCZ9Zul8WH4rGQmFONOe1lZvhpeLzEKxZZl-Qdw9lHY1TLrVshrV52jxwEF9E6wWAuh3RFP3Orbv2gS_MeCxAt9xp6jNlFZp5xJLbRcZwKpaDTMXYzj5SgD2edJwEuKrZ917GPwpmDA9xLMEaRx39I3tMP9EjjoGiRQV593u2AhwAB-aTdPROvq-WxfyD-TeDH337H7Ku0MhVgvCk7eWVUZBMkDlHmEqqKZf0SjpQxgzGPyks7ss=w436-h775-no

LatticeBright above...

Cree XM-L2 T6-4B below
DBH4Sj7NPQCcGzuClbS8ElOsPA4fvQW92iHu1sAC76BYjx6nt88ilk0K7XukWi0CEm6d3JhvAw9pSujPT8ERhU6XXfE-gKHbDzfKTtrR9FJI4rFRGut6_BO_ttnSEKeYZF4r9a0Tbp-xiouXj5TDrpMesUguKjNR4bFKpgBi0LwXy10epVIYUmi59e1qBlftVRajnVVCxLtKlXef11bemM5-a3pq6-MKEqz0sSbDGtjlaW89s6n-KjVj3gIYZfmckK_NGfC38YpDJqKLUC2iGuVrPqQEwvWiGK-5pQAnpnCfXWtIzhC-faO76SHSlW7yi2cmeDomzXtQ7vtxhBjWi4XeVWKKHVRv0ztgYtG7kt8ssmlg3MUq2L6p2BIoEoRB4gTgMwGdjjB6K5lQEQ_gDLVWTZrsXVT5J8wuZASrnoGKeqwnYy3wXlHkUeNiyVKck2VG3wFs8z4UC3VuLRj2e6BFFCznQWEotZa9GQhnvoI8mrbbJb2rDDPqE90FSPOd4hQAdIZjHByMB21nvijEWYzZp-LFBYKVkOzyg9vqczIhpm82lEOrZNZ4QGp_F0GT98ClNpCVwqOivbNXfp3asBLT-Ev4--8=w436-h775-no

Last edited:

mhanlen

Enlightened
My garage doors aren't pure white, they are a little grey-white. There is probably a little blue tint mixed into the paint (although I can't discern it). A gentleman once told me that "ceiling white" has a little blue tint mixed in it. That makes it appear whiter!

At any rate, I got and swapped in a Cree XM-L2 T6-3B emitter today and took a couple of pictures.

Yes... the LatticeBright LED was blue white, but to my eyes it wasn't as blue as my cell phone camera picked up. The phone has ONLY an "auto white balance" setting, so I couldn't modify it.

LatticeBright above...

Cree XM-L2 T6-4B below

The pictures aren't showing up. But the Latticebright isn't the bluest emiiter Ive seen... Its slightly exaggerated in one of the shots because i was using a 3200k white balance.