A tail of 2 Surefire tailcaps (see what i did there)

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
I have a couple of these original Surefire HA Z58 clicky tails and am curious if anyone can tell me what the deal is with this one on the left. The others I have are all like the one on the right. Is the one on the left rare, older, newer, more desirable? Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
All of mine have the holes, like the one on the left. Never seen one without, actually.

I don't have too many stock SureFire clickies, though, so not too sure what to make of that bit of info ....

Most of mine were from several years ago.

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
Archimedes I will have to do some digging. I got these probably 4+ years ago now, didn't get them new but at least one might have been new in a clear bag like a replacement Surefire button comes from the repair program. I will PM you some details when I figure out where I got them. Off the marketplace I'm pretty sure though, back in the day.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
There's a post here on CPF about the differences somewhere. IIRC its from back in 2010 or so. I'll see if I can dig it up. Both are genuine SF Z59 versions. I have the ones with no holes on one of my flat sided U2 and one on a early M1.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Not sure if it might help figure out which is older or newer, but I often find the older SF "natural" parts more towards green/brown/bronze, while newer parts may be more gray/charcoal .... Do you notice any differences between the versions in terms of anodize color ?

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
I uploaded a couple more detail shots. The one with holes is a bit more olive drab and the taller one, without the holes is more grey to me. Thanks for the provided information everyone.

BillBond

Newly Enlightened
The one with the holes is the older version.
A couple of years ago I sold off some extra tailcaps and one of the guys that purchased some only wanted the ones without holes.
He stated that he preferred them since they did not allow dirt into the mechanism.

IMO there is no difference as they all work the same.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks for your additional photos, too, ES.

Knurling looks rather different too.

I would've thought the cap with the holes is the older style (color, knurling, internal parts) though ... ?

Last edited: