please help with ideas for new build

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for ideas and guidance. I want to build a new light using the drjones lucidrv2 driver and an XP-L V3 led from Mt Electronics. I like the programmable mode groups and love the double click to high capability.

I like the Oveready Surefire 6p I have with an XP-L V6 and the guppydrv driver. I also have an Olight M22 Warrior I mounted an XP-L V3 in and love, but the head is pretty big. Now I want a light with good throw and some all around use size. The Eagletac T25c2 is kind of my model light, but don't like the twisty head UI.

Any ideas for a good quality, pocket size, tailclicky host that would work well with the lucidrv2 driver and the XP-L V3?

Thanks for reading all this.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Convoy S2+ is an awesome pocket sized light that can fit a 17mm driver & 16mm LED MCPCB. Easy to assemble if you have all the tools available.

Alternative, u can purchase a Sinner Ti host (either 18350 or 18650) & mod it urself.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon, I think you will know the answer. Does the Sinner host have room for a regular reflector, or is it triple optic only? Seriously tempted to get a host.
Peter

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon, I think you will know the answer. Does the Sinner host have room for a regular reflector, or is it triple optic only? Seriously tempted to get a host.
Peter
Triple optics only..
Not enough head space to squeeze a 20mm diameter reflector inside.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not familiar with the lucidrv2, but the Eagletac T25C2 is a good host and size for throw. If it was me I'd give it a try because the ui can easily be changed by just the clicky switch.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lucidrv has 2 groups & u can customize both groups to any number of modes, arrangements of modes, with/without memory & those disco modes..

I took some time to learn the customization but once i get it, i absolutely love it..

I have 1 group for indoor (LL/L/M/H) & the other for outdoor (H/M/L)

bartko09

Enlightened
Lucidrv is hands down the best firmware available. Has anyone checked out Dr Jones' H17F? Little pricy but worth every dollar. It's all I use now in quad builds

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the ideas. I looked at the Sinner and thought it might work, but I want to use a reflector.

I am ordering the DrJones H17F from Mt Electronics. I want programability and I can't wait to have the double click to hi from any mode.

Has anyone modded the drop-in of the Eagletac T25C2? If I could pull out their driver and replace it with the DrJones driver, it would make things easy.

Otherwise, any other ideas for a host that I could mod with the Lucidrv2 and an XP-L HI?

thanks.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S2's a nice host. I had great fun building one last year. Don't lose the retaining ring for the driver, like I did. I put a 3 mode driver in with DD as highest. It ran for about 15 mins on DD before the discharge cutoff kicked in. Almost too hot to hold after 5 mins then as the output dropped so did the temperature. Very impressive beam for a tiny light.
P

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
I built an S2 with an XP-L Hi and it is a great light. I am looking for a little deeper reflector to get more throw. I use my lights outside every night. When I am scanning for my horses or other animals, I need a real, usable amount of light out to 300 yards. The S2 doesn't quite light things up at that distance.

I put an XP-L Hi V2 ( had it wrong in my original post) in an Olight M22 Warrior. It has great throw and good spill. It is just a little bulky to put in a pocket.

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
Last night I ordered an Eagletac T25C2 XP-L HD. I am excited to try it out, but I am going to replace the driver with the Lucidrv2. If anyone has any tips on tearing down the drop-in or cobbing 17mm drivers into 21.25mm spaces, I would love to hear them.

Last night I was looking for a horse that wandered off. It would have been a great chance to test the throw of the T25C2!

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought you wanted throw. The XP-L HI version throws better.

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
You are right. I went back to my amazon order and checked to see what I ordered. I did get the HI, thanks. I am ordering a drop-in to tear apart also, so I can keep the XP-L HI. If I can't install the Lucidrv2 driver, at least I will have the original to run the light.