Xtar, Nitecore, Opus which ones right for me?

fvshaggy

Newly Enlightened
Hello and sorry for the newbish question. I am trying to figure out the best option for long term good usage battery charger. I am upgrading my Surefire Centurion to most likely the Malkoff m61 with a AW 17670 battery, and I was hoping to get a great charger that will last a long time. It seems like the Xtar and Opus are one of the top rated ones but I don't know if I should go for anything that I don't completely understand. It seems like I am leaning most to Xtar vc2 or vp2 since would only have 2 batteries. Is there something that I might be overlooking?

Thanks for the help!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello and sorry for the newbish question. I am trying to figure out the best option for long term good usage battery charger. I am upgrading my Surefire Centurion to most likely the Malkoff m61 with a AW 17670 battery, and I was hoping to get a great charger that will last a long time. It seems like the Xtar and Opus are one of the top rated ones but I don't know if I should go for anything that I don't completely understand. It seems like I am leaning most to Xtar vc2 or vp2 since would only have 2 batteries. Is there something that I might be overlooking?

Thanks for the help!

As somebody who's spent 4+ years learning with 12+ chargers, I'd ask if you want to charge up JUST li-ion cells, or if you want to charge up both NiMH (Eneloops) and li-ions?

If you want one charger for not a lot of money, get the Opus BT-3400 v. 2.2 (same as the 3100 mostly) and buy that.

You'll be in pretty good shape going forward.

If you're a computer whiz and want the best of the best, get the SkyRC MC3000 for about $120ish and have a great multi chemistry charger.

If you're watching your pennies and want only li-ion cell charger, the $35 Xtar VP2 is a safe and efficient charger that will charge up all of your li-ion cells...that you care to throw at it.

If you want a decent USB 5v charger, the Xtar VC4 is good, albeit slow, but it will do both NiMH batteries and li-ions and it will give you some indication of capacity.

If you want a good NiMH only charger, the Maha C9000 is very well regarded, but doesn't do li-ions.

For only $50 shipped, with a 12v car adapter, the Opus BT-3400 is a nice analyzing charger that does both, but it's not perfect.

Look on Ebay for the seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BT-C3400-Ba...442603?hash=item4d305647ab:g:ewkAAOSwqu9VIej8

You won't hurt yourself with the above.

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
How about opus vs vc4? Or vp4 for just Li-on?

Having all Mike, i prefer the opus............not as nice plastic, not quite as nicely made(quality wise). Display does not look as fancy either.
BUT................ digital read out is a digital read out,does the job fine, 4 bays at 1a each, not 0.5a on the 4 bays. No nimh support on the vp4, if this is not a concern it is a good option for a 4 bay charger still for convenience. I would get 2x vp2 chargers instead if i was looking at an xtar charger like the vp4.
Then with the opus, 0.2a for small cells, 1.5a for IMR/INR on bays 1+4, then 2a on bays 1+4 for the big boys 26650 fed lights. Refresh options, not too accurate but an idea on the mah when discharged/charged. Mine has been plugged in since bought, used all the time i am at home, sometimes 16hrs a day................never faulted and for $30 its a bargain imho.

My vp4 is gathering dust! back up for when i have used a few multi cell lights and want a lot of 18650's charging up at same time. Even then i break out the wp6ii for ease..............Still its a nice display(like the vp1 and 2), but charge rates are limited to 0.5/1a on the vp4

vc4 - Lost count on the money spent on USB plugs to get that magic 0.5a across the 4 bays, even 1a on bays 1+2............i gave up in the end. I also dont find the admittedly fancy dials that easy on the eye to read accurate info.

If nimh is no issue, the opus(yes still this due to 4x1a support) or 2 Xtar vp2's would be my choices, followed by the vp4, then the vc4 last.

Imo they are still all better than the nitecore offerings...........well maybe not too sure on the D4 vs VC4 ..........thats a close one .

The 6 bay Efest has my interest, not really read up too much on it though as i dont need another charger right now.

Just my opinion, not saying i am right, just what i prefer and why:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the help!
I wouldn't stress too much, it's only a charger....

ven

Flashaholic
It seems like I am leaning most to Xtar vc2 or vp2 since would only have 2 batteries. Is there something that I might be overlooking?

Thanks for the help!

I would go for the vp2 out of your 2 choices, the option of 3.8v(4.35v) may come in handy if you decide to use 16650 cells(instead of 17670 at some point) which are 4.35v. Has 3 settings, 0.25/0.5/1a for both bays................nice quality charger and nice read out:)

fvshaggy

Newly Enlightened
As somebody who's spent 4+ years learning with 12+ chargers, I'd ask if you want to charge up JUST li-ion cells, or if you want to charge up both NiMH (Eneloops) and li-ions?

If you want one charger for not a lot of money, get the Opus BT-3400 v. 2.2 (same as the 3100 mostly) and buy that.

You'll be in pretty good shape going forward.

If you're a computer whiz and want the best of the best, get the SkyRC MC3000 for about $120ish and have a great multi chemistry charger.

If you're watching your pennies and want only li-ion cell charger, the $35 Xtar VP2 is a safe and efficient charger that will charge up all of your li-ion cells...that you care to throw at it.

If you want a decent USB 5v charger, the Xtar VC4 is good, albeit slow, but it will do both NiMH batteries and li-ions and it will give you some indication of capacity.

If you want a good NiMH only charger, the Maha C9000 is very well regarded, but doesn't do li-ions.

For only $50 shipped, with a 12v car adapter, the Opus BT-3400 is a nice analyzing charger that does both, but it's not perfect.

Look on Ebay for the seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BT-C3400-Ba...442603?hash=item4d305647ab:g:ewkAAOSwqu9VIej8

You won't hurt yourself with the above.

Chris
Thanks for all the replies so far. I will have a charger for Nihm already but mainly will be using this one for Li-ion batteries. I worked for Surefire for a little bit and have a C2-Centurian, 9p, and I think a e2d- defender. I will have to buy a few different batteries and wanted to make sure I got something that would be a great charger without my wife thinking I am crazy for spending so much on this new flashlight hobby. I am sure there is a thread already somewhere but from my understanding the c2 will fit a 17670 and the 9p can fit the same with a dummy battery but wasn't sure about the e2d? Thanks for the warm welcome and the wealth of knowledge.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies so far. I will have a charger for Nihm already but mainly will be using this one for Li-ion batteries. I worked for Surefire for a little bit and have a C2-Centurian, 9p, and I think a e2d- defender. I will have to buy a few different batteries and wanted to make sure I got something that would be a great charger without my wife thinking I am crazy for spending so much on this new flashlight hobby. I am sure there is a thread already somewhere but from my understanding the c2 will fit a 17670 and the 9p can fit the same with a dummy battery but wasn't sure about the e2d? Thanks for the warm welcome and the wealth of knowledge.

If you're only going to be using it for li-ions, if 2 bays will work for you and if you don't care for a 5v USB setup, the $35 (shipped) Xtar VP2 is a better charger (IMO) than the four you've listed, with possibly the exception of the 3400, if you drill the hole in the bottom to access the 3.2v, 4.2v and 4.35v switch.

The 3400 is faster using 2 slots, so it does have that going for it over the VP2 and it does do some analyzing if you're into that.

Chris

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be nice if we could fit an external switch on the Opus C3100/C3400, as how long with the internal last with repeated use.

iQguoj8.png

John.

If you're only going to be using it for li-ions, if 2 bays will work for you and if you don't care for a 5v USB setup, the $35 (shipped) Xtar VP2 is a better charger (IMO) than the four you've listed, with possibly the exception of the 3400, if you drill the hole in the bottom to access the 3.2v, 4.2v and 4.35v switch.

The 3400 is faster using 2 slots, so it does have that going for it over the VP2 and it does do some analyzing if you're into that.

Chris

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Any rough idea on where to drill the hole, will save me digging out the vp2 for the 16650 cells I have coming . Cheers :)

Edit- ok ok I will have to dig out the drill too , maybe I just want to drill a hole :p

fvshaggy

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the information. I am going to start with the vp2 and I am sure my collection will grow over time. You guys are awesome and I thank you for the advice.

ven

Flashaholic
Thank you all for the information. I am going to start with the vp2 and I am sure my collection will grow over time. You guys are awesome and I thank you for the advice.

Great start, unless your going to be charging a few at a time its hard to beat all in. After all.............could always get another later on:)

Just dug mine out for my 16650's which are on the 3.8 setting(4.35v)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be nice if we could fit an external switch on the Opus C3100/C3400, as how long with the internal last with repeated use.

iQguoj8.png

John.

I thought about that too and frankly, I've got four 4.35v cells (2xLG D1s, 2xLG E1s ) and I'm not expecting to buy any more in the near future. Perhaps some Sanyo 16650 ZTAs, but I don't use my SF 6P all that much, so perhaps not.

It's there and my hole looks just like the picture, which is where I got the idea from. If you have a Dremel tool and I do, I drilled a couple of small pilot holes and then used a conical grinding stone to open up the holes to what you see pictured, cleaning up the edges.

I took my bottom cover off and tried to mark the general location, instead of just drilling blindly.

Anyhow, it's all about having options for the impending zombie attack.

Two is one and one is none.

Chris

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
They should have just made the switch accessible and added $5...........well free is better :laughing:

I dont know why its there but hidden:fail:

gunga

Flashaholic
I have a Maha C9000 I'm not using. Just using a nitecore d4. With what I read here, (when I move back to the house and have more room) I'll likely use the Maha and get a vp2. Nitecore can be used as backup when I need to charge more than 2 at a time.

Good advice all around. I'm not up to date on the latest chargers.

Last edited: