Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the testing thread, several of you have requested that we make a optional switch guard for the Arc4. I am not a big fan of switch guards, but I will make one if there is enough interest. Here's one idea. What do you think?

arc4guard.jpg

I am interested in your suggestions. Of course, everyone will have a different take on how things should be done. I will try to bring these together in a compromise. Also, lets keep this thread on topic. You are invited to start another thread if you want to talk about something other than tail guards.

I would like to make only one version of the guard, have it meet the most types of expected use and be practical to manufacture.

The picture above shows two screw holes. These are for mounting the clip that comes with the Arc4 for bezel down carry (versus the stock bezel up carry). If you add a lanyard, I recommend the ends terminate at the guard so as to not interfere with the switch. A lanyard could also be tied around the body since the larger head and guard would bracket the loop.

If this is made, the guard will be an optional accessory made by Arc. This cap would screw onto the battery compartment (any type) in place of the stock cap. You can buy it with your Arc4 or later on if you decide you want it. It should fit all revisions of the Arc4 and Arc5. If you change your mind, you can always go back to the stock tail cap. I figure the cost will be about $20 (maybe less, maybe more).

Using this mod will increase the weight and length of the Arc4.

Thanks for your input.

Peter

kj

Enlightened
Looks nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is it an add-on tail guard? Or is it an optional switch part with the tail guard? If it's an add-on, how this tail guard is secured to the body?

***EDIT***
Oh, Peter states this is a replacement. paulr, thank you for letting me know.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
This looks good to me, if:

1. It will stand up on this guard while on.
2. There is a provision for attaching a split ring for lanyard and lanyard can be on it while it is standing.

I'd buy one.

J

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I like it.
Looks great.
Doesn't take up much more length and still serves its purpose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Thanks Peter for letting CPF'rs have input into this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
looks good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the pictures are kind of...um...crude, but i think we get the idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

what's a lanyard "slot"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

really does look good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Kj, it looks like a replacement for the switch pack. You remove the old pack and put on the new one.

I don't see the need for making the diameter larger than the rest of the tail, except maybe to accomodate the pocket clip which expects to be on the head. Can't a little bending or an accessory clip solve that?

I like the switch guard on the Streamlight TL2/TL3. It's very unobtrusive yet does the job perfectly. It doesn't increase either the length or diameter of the light.

clapon

Newly Enlightened
I like the option of bezel down clip placement. I never understood why you'd want to carry your light bezel up. (other than in a holster). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
If you send me one with a light I will be more then happy to try it out for you :)

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can the gard be of the same diameter as the rest of the tail? it would somehow add a disadvantage if the gard increase the diameter of the tail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I like the idea of owning both, but prefer the guard and like the design you have drawn! Additionally, I like the bezel down concept and am not crazy about the current clip.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
My concern about a guard with stand up function is that it would have to be of a larger diameter then the light to compensate for the "head-heavy" nature of the Arc4-- maybe much larger.
I think it will destroy the clean lines of the light as it is and perhaps make for a more awkward carry. I would be happiest with a new tailcap that simply had the guard function and a better place to attach a splitring for a lanyard.

Recharge

Newly Enlightened
Looks good to me, I'd like to see a hole threaded the size that would accept a standard camera tripod mount somewhere
on the lip, McLux style. Would there be any knurling on the
new piece?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it! in addiion, make the flared part the same diameter as the head (of course, since the clip has to fit the same diameter) and possibly cut 3 equally spaced shallow cusps to make it esier for the thumb to press down on the button.

The flared O.D. should be knurled.

The 2 screw holes should be located axially as far from the right end as possible so the clip will be positioned properly . maybe a new clip is needed with attachment holes closer to the head-end of the clip.

paulr

Flashaholic
Chiaroscuro, the SL TL2/TL3 are even more head-heavy than the Arc 4, and they can tail-stand just fine on a flat surface.

IMO the flared part should NOT be knurled, but that's just me.

kj

Enlightened
Is there any obvious reason to increase the length? I can understand you might need to add 0.01 inch or so for safe, but it's probably not noticeable.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Using this mod will increase the weight and length of the Arc4.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, ok. You already said you don't like 'em - let's not get carried away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

First step - do NOT make it longer than the light currently is. The lip of the guard should be even with the switch. I'd move the flare a bit farther forward to allow easier cigar-holding. Make the ID of the guard as wide as possible for unfettered (never used that word before - did I do it right?) acess to the button.

This thing shouldn't weigh much more than, say, the clip. And it shouldn't make the light more than 0.05" longer. Adding a 1/4-20 hole (that's your tripod mount) would be the bee's knees.

In general this looks great since it incorporates the bezel-down clip option, allows for tail-standing, lanyard holes, possibly tripod mount (I'll be honest here - I don't think there is enough metal to put the 1/4-20 in if we don't want it longer). What could be better? Those who don't like tail guards can just pretend it isn't one, and the rest of us can enjoy the functionality. If it were me, this would be the standard configuration, and the one we have now would be optional for those who enjoy using the uC lockout feature. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

** looking again, the way it is set up in the drawing, the clip bend will extend beyond the rear of the guard. Bad news for length and tail-standing ability.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to just extend the current tail to cover the switch without adding the flare? Then just add notches to the lip to facilitate access to the switch. The flare seems to ruin the beautiful lines of the light. It wouldn't be very stable but we are not buying a lamp, are we. We just need it to be able to stand once in a while.

Personally, I would prefer the split ring over the clip as I don't see myself using it anyway if I have the split ring. The notch for the split ring could be machine into the lip like the current LS.

srue

Newly Enlightened
I REALLY like this option. In fact, I wasn't planning to buy one of the new series until this option was suggested. If this makes it to production, I can guarantee I will buy one with the Arc5+. It addresses my biggest concern, split ring attachment, and also solves many others: tail standing, switch guard, bezel down clip.

The only wrinkles are the added length (especially compared to the LS series) and the 4 holes that will now be in the light since I won't use the clip. Looks like I'll have lots of places to put tritium markers. I won't need the locator flash function.

The flare could go either way. I say as long as it isn't wider than the head, it should be fine. It will reduce slipping when turning the light on and improve tail standing. But it does add an awkwardness to the look. But this light is not about asthetics, it's about function. Flare on.

Peter, I hope when you look at the viability of producing the option, you include potential sales like mine. You don't just get the money for the cap, but also the profit off the light itself since I wouldn't buy it without the option. I'm sure there are others like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.