Fenix pd32 2016 vs pd35 tactical vs wait?

Financiers

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

Im a total light "noob". I'm looking into buying my first "real" light. I've had cheap ones that aren't very good and some maglites. I'll be using this light as an all purpose light. From my understanding, the pd32 2016 works better at long range than the pd35 tactical. However, people say the button is harder to press. Also, I've read some posts that say a new pd35 might be out soon. It said fenix is announcing 2 new lights within the week. I understand that it's impossible to predict the future so for now, which do you think is the better light for an all purpose goal, pd32 2016 or pd35 tac. I appreciate all of your help. Thanks in advance!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

Im a total light "noob". I'm looking into buying my first "real" light. I've had cheap ones that aren't very good and some maglites. I'll be using this light as an all purpose light. From my understanding, the pd32 2016 works better at long range than the pd35 tactical. However, people say the button is harder to press. Also, I've read some posts that say a new pd35 might be out soon. It said fenix is announcing 2 new lights within the week. I understand that it's impossible to predict the future so for now, which do you think is the better light for an all purpose goal, pd32 2016 or pd35 tac. I appreciate all of your help. Thanks in advance!

Neither personally. I think models with a neutral white emitter are better for a general purpose light. I would look at some beam shots of neutral white vs cool white lights and read about the pros and cons of both before deciding if I were you:thumbsup:. Also, read about CRI ratings. I wish I had before I starting buying LED lights many years ago.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy what suits your pocket, no point in waiting.I bought an iPad Air 2 last week and the 3 is due in a couple of days.Am I bothered? Nope.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of the new Fenix lights that they will be announcing is the 2016 TK32 I dont know what the other is. As for TAC, 2016 PD32 or wait, I just dont see how Fenix can really further the PD35 platform any further without a total clean sheet redesign. Ive got all the PD/UC35 series and the PD32/2016 PD32 my vote is for the 2016 PD32. It is a touch slimmer than the TAC it is still bright as HELL, well spaced modes, crenelated bezel, steel side switch and it throws farther than the TAC. The TAC has a good bit bigger beam profile but does not throw as far. Both still great lights hell any of the 35 series are great lights its just that the 2016 PD32 is easiest to pocket and its lower modes are perfectly usable.

RPB

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I was going to order the PD35 until i read some reviews and watched some video reviews of the PD32 2016. I have one, I rate it highly and I do EDC it. OF course it is completely different to the CR123A battery Fenix light i was carrying, however this PD32 is in a league of its own imho. The clicky pressure does not bother me, I don't want it easy to press incase it gets caught in my pocket, etc. I have the AOD-S as well. That too is a good way of diffusing the light when you need to.
Bright? oh hell yeah; good beam? oh hell yeah. Nothing not to like for me!

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people like side switches and some hate them. You might want to consider that. Depending on the maker the side switch mode buttons can be near impossible to locate in the dark. I don't own either of the two lights you are considering for that very reason. Among others. I have an ld10 with the side switch and I hate it.

I much prefer a rear clicky on/off with twisty head to change modes. Perhanps and EagleTac D series light? They also tail stand, come in different tints, and can handle 18650 batteries. The Fenix lights don't.

Last edited:

tango44

Enlightened
Does the 2016 PD32 has the same features & interfase like the "old" PD32?
I mean, size, throw, etc?
Thank you.

aestus

Newly Enlightened
So far, I love the pd32 2016. It's slightly a bit smaller than the PD35 and feels like the ultimate refinement to date of the PD32 platform. I did hate the tailswitch at first, but now I love it. No more accidental bump fires like with some of my other lights when I'm carrying it in the pocket or thrown in a bag.

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Also the PD32 has more CD. It may have less lumens but will possibly appear brighter because of beam profile which will be somewhat tighter according to the specs which of course means more throw/distance