My perfect pocket light: a Surefire Lego project

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
I'm a dedicated Surefire fan but I finally gave up on them ever producing what I wanted in a perfect EDC light. I wanted a compact single CR123 light with a nice powerful hot spot with good throw and a nice surrounding spill.

I didn't want sharp, pointy edges for something to carry in my pocket. I carry a Glock or two, a small defensive fixed blade and a folder so the chance that I'll ever need to start poking at someone with my flashlight is pretty slim.

I also had no interest in a low mode on my primary light. There's nothing worse than punching the switch on your pocket blaster expecting to light up something 50 yards away and instead having 5 puny lumens dissipate into thin air. Besides, I always have a small light on my keys for close up work and I sometimes carry a Streamlight Micro in addition to the primary light.

This is what I came up with, my lego project with all new parts. The body is from a Vtac Mini L4, the head is a 300 lumen KE1F and the tailcap is a NOS Z61. The resulting light is compact, powerful and carries nicely. It's also a 1/2" shorter than an EB1 and nearly a 1/2 oz lighter.

b5dc1c5a84b459a4f35802fd35a10d7f_zpsbsdd2ypn.jpg

d749fcfcb1ad1e56bca7aa422141248d_zpsuchkuly7.jpg

ecf6b6112b62ecbf78ce2dcfe6878ce0_zpsbndumz9s.jpg

Here's a photo with a Glock 43 and Benchmade Grip for size comparison.
01dc93e16905a9fdf5d0be6228de615e_zps5vzzmx8j.jpg

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
It's sold separately as a conversion and comes on the new mini scout.

Yes, it's a TIR.

tonkem

Enlightened
Aha. The ke2 is the only LED conversion they show on their site. I assume the beam on this one would be similar to the e1d at 300 lumens. I carry my 200 lumen eb1 head on an e1l body for single mode as well. Smaller than the full eb1.

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
Aha. The ke2 is the only LED conversion they show on their site. I assume the beam on this one would be similar to the e1d at 300 lumens. I carry my 200 lumen eb1 head on an e1l body for single mode as well. Smaller than the full eb1.

Yes, basically it's a single mode E1D without the spikes.

tonkem

Enlightened
Where did you get the ke1f and how much was it? You can pm if needed. Thanks. May be getting the new 300 lumen eb1 but if I can get this head cheaper then the whole light it would be worth looking at

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
Nice build.

My preference would be Z68, instead of Z61, but great ideas here ....

I've got the Z68 that came with the VTac but I just prefer the Z61.

I'll try to take some pictures of it with the Z68 if you'd like to see it in that configuration.

Last edited:

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
Where did you get the ke1f and how much was it? You can pm if needed. Thanks. May be getting the new 300 lumen eb1 but if I can get this head cheaper then the whole light it would be worth looking at

The KE1F head is actually more expensive to buy than an entire EB1 or E1D. That's how much I didn't want a dual mode light. It puzzles me that Surefire offers a "tactical" model high only version of nearly all their handhelds except nothing in the the E series.

I'm not sure what the rules are here about posting vendors and such but if you google the head model #, you'll see it for sale.

Last edited:

freefly

Newly Enlightened
It's sold separately as a conversion and comes on the new mini scout.

Yes, it's a TIR.
Yep, it currently the king for single-cell, single mode, E-size heads, AFAIK. Comes standard on the new Mini Scout as mentioned, which is designated the M300C.

Oh, and Tonkem, you have a PM. :thumbsup:

bartko09

Enlightened
You guys should get them bored to accept 18350. I sent mine to Barry Milton and he did fantastic work.

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
Some shots of the beam. Not the best quality, one handed with a phone but you get the idea. The tree line is about 80 yards.

26bd45b0979019b891a0ae09bd89d799_zpsqfqzs6a0.jpg

9669d6a6b5a564606d6dd5a4d10d759f_zps1uu1xrqe.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nice idea Triburst.

I did a fivemega 16340 (bored for an 18350) with a SureFire 6P twisty and 6P head using a Malkoff M31W.

And for an ultra light weight deal-ee-o with a hi/lo capable a SolarForce L2M (split in half) using the new Rayovac 300 lumen emitter and reflector.

Both using a primary are quite an improvement over the original R30 module.

The fivemega is a noticable weight in your pocket due to all of the rock solid components.
The solarforce feels about as heavy as a pack of cigarettes in my pocket due to the lightweight body, and plastic innerds.
The Malkoff module puts out a solid wall of warm light a good 50-100'.
The Rayovac setup is a good 50' blinder and outhrows the Malkoff emitter.

Both were built as purposeful alternatives to my Alpha close quarters output.

Last edited:

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
Nice idea Triburst.

I did a fivemega 16340 (bored for an 18350) with a SureFire 6P twisty and 6P head using a Malkoff M31W.

And for an ultra light weight deal-ee-o with a hi/lo capable a SolarForce L2M (split in half) using the new Rayovac 300 lumen emitter and reflector.

Both using a primary are quite an improvement over the original R30 module.

The fivemega is a noticable weight in your pocket due to all of the rock solid components.
The solarforce feels about as heavy as a pack of cigarettes in my pocket due to the lightweight body, and plastic innerds.
The Malkoff module puts out a solid wall of warm light a good 50-100'.
The Rayovac setup is a good 50' blinder and outhrows the Malkoff emitter.

Both were built as purposeful alternatives to my Alpha close quarters output.

Nice! I've always wanted a 3P and was kicking myself a couple weeks ago when I just missed a minty one or $40.