is there a difference in the two Fenix PD35

Hacken

Enlightened
Just a quick question here guys. I want to know is there any even difference in the lastest fenix pd35 960 lumens vs the taticle version 1000 lumens? I'm talking about brightness, throw wise other then I know the 1000 version one has a few more mode settings in brightness.

Those who has both please share your opinions.

Thanks

MX421

Enlightened
I have both. Just to be clear, the Tactical version is the latest. As i had read before i ordered the tactical, the PD35 2014 edition (960 lumens) has a rubber switch that is a little easier to find in the dark. Other than the slight (indistinguishable) difference in brightness and the bezels, they are the same light. I wouldn't have gotten the Tac version had it not been on sale :). These are good basic lights that can be operated in a single mode if you only use the rear clicky.

If you want to use the side switch to frequently switch between modes, a trick is to position the clip where you can find the switch easily. This is the same issue i have with my Olight S30 (similar light) and S1.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have every PD35 yet. The difference between the 2014 and the TAC is switch function and the TAC uses an XP-L HD emitter which puts out a whiter tint that seems brighter than the 2014. Also the beam profile out the TAC has a bigger hot spot and the TAC throws a touch further. TAC is bright as hell but then again so is any PD35. Big thing with the TAC is the ability to change the switch functions between tactical and outdoor settings. Press and hold the side switch to change between the two. In tactical mode the side switch doesnt do anything its the tail switch that goes from controlling on and off to on off and high strobe low. Very quick access to strobe in TAC mode. The outdoor setting multiple modes controlled by the side switch are well spaced. I prefer the TAC to the 2014 as the tint on the 2014 to my eyes has to much harsh purple to it.

7magnum

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in getting the PD35. Does it use the rechargeable batteries? Are these available through this forum?

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in getting the PD35. Does it use the rechargeable batteries? Are these available through this forum?

The PD35 is a solid choice. I'd suggest you watch and read Selfbuilt's review here, if you haven't already. And perhaps consider the UC35, which is basically identical but includes USB recharging and comes with a battery.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the PD35 series, including the UC35 can run on rechargeable lithium ion 18650 batteries(recommended) as well as non rechargeable lithium CR123 cells.

7magnum where are you in the world? This determines where the best sources for these batteries and the PD35 itself. There is a manufacturer part of CPF where several of the major light brands are represented they all have links to their main online retail stores.

ANY PD35 is a great choice. From the first "860" lumen model(it actually puts out over 960 lumens) to the 2014 revamp and the new XP-L emitter PD35 TAC you cannot go wrong with any of them. There are dozens of high quality high capacity 18650 cells to choose from it would be wise to learn which ones these are as there are also countless very bad 18650 cells on the market as well. Here I will name a few of the best high quality high capacity proven and reliable 18650 cells.

Orbtronic 3500mah 10amp NCR18650GA-you can only get these at Orbtronic.com they are priced well.
Keeppower 3500mah 10amp NCR18650GA-there is a couple of trusted and reliable sites to buy these from one is illumn.com and Nkon.com europe these are also priced well
Fenix ARBL18 3500mah-NCR18650GA. The Fenix cell is expensive at about $22 but features the new generation protection circuitry that is only on the positive end of the cell.
Olight 3600mah-also about $22

do NOT buy lights or batteries of ebay. Do NOT buy any battery with "fire" in the name. Good luck...

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...........ANY PD35 is a great choice. From the first "860" lumen model(it actually puts out over 960 lumens) to the 2014 revamp and the new XP-L emitter PD35 TAC you cannot go wrong with any of them. .........
Yes, my 850 lumen version actually edges my new PD35TAC in total lumens at the highest mode. They are very close but the original PD35 beats it. Now anyone looking at both would say the TAC is brighter because of the tighter brighter hotspot. My guess is that the new TAC might be slightly more efficient with the XP-L rather than an XM-L2.

What is funny is that the 960 lumen version is considered an upgrade to the 850 lumen model. my guess is nothing changed and Fenix just got a little more accurate in stating what the lumens actually are.

Milw light

Newly Enlightened
The PD35Tac is a good one, I have the later version. I can light up the bike trail at night with it. The Tac is powerfull enough that it can use strong batteries as Turbo doesn't last too long with NCR18650'B's. My Orbtronic protected high drains will run Turbo down to 3.6 volts....way lower than the Panasonics. Celtic Cross said it, be carefull where you buy your lights & batteries!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the TAC is a true 1000 lumen light. It just seems brighter than that due to the white tint of the XP-L in it. The 2014 version got a specific XML2 U2 emitter the output mode levels changed a bit low to high but the 2014 and the original are about dead even at max output. Not a big fan of the 2014 its specific emitter has harsh blues and purples in it to my eyes. The original is a CW but did not have any harsh blues or purples the original PD35 is almost a warm tint.

Best cell for these lights thus far is the new 3500mah 10 amp NCR18650GA. I use Orbtronic and Keeppower. These cells have very low internal resistance so there is either very low or no voltage sag under max ouput and the capacity is outstanding. These cells dont break a sweat in the PD35's. These cells give you the max the PD35's are capable of. That and the Orbtronic and Keeppower cells are priced very well.